C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vibration, from bad wheel bearing?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 10:38 AM
Surfer69
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Vibration, from bad wheel bearing?

I've been fighting a vibration issue for a while now where at 52 mph I get a bad vibration. I've balanced everything twice and have to look somewhere else now.

If a bearing is going out, could it cause this kind of vibration at one particular speed?

I've checked for slop of bearings in the wheels but don't seem to feel anything excessive. Moving tire back and forth and top to bottom maybe 1/8 in. of play.
Old 04-16-2010, 10:41 AM
jlaw68
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i would start by replacing the U-Joints on the main drive shaft and the half shafts. my vibration as around 45 and the main shaft U-Joints cured that. then after that i would have a squeal when i would make a right turn and the half shaft U-Joints cured that. just a thought if you have never changed them.
Old 04-16-2010, 10:49 AM
noonie
Race Director

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

1/8" is a lot especially on the front.

Check the runout of the rim and then the tire.

I had one set that I had to go so far as to have the tires shaved to eliminate a vibration.
Old 04-16-2010, 01:03 PM
Surfer69
Drifting

I have replaced half shaft U-joints but not drive shaft. I do feel a slippage sometimes which feels like differential clutch slip. Maybe it could be the drive shaft ujoint. I should probably check diff fluid also. I did fill with posi and new fluid maybe 25k miles ago though.
Old 04-16-2010, 01:25 PM
TWINRAY
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Surfer69
I've checked for slop of bearings in the wheels but don't seem to feel anything excessive. Moving tire back and forth and top to bottom maybe 1/8 in. of play.
there should be NO slop in the b/f t/b movement. I spin the wheel and tighten the bolt down with a pliers to seat the bearing. Then loosen the nut slightly and then tighten by hand (or very loosely with a pliers) so you insert the cotter pin. I'm assuming your talking about the front wheel bearings. There shouldn't be any slop in the rears either but that's a whole other deal. I think more problems in front wheel bearing adjustment is caused by setting them up too loose than too tight.

ps. you've checked front suspension parts like ball joints right?

Last edited by TWINRAY; 04-16-2010 at 01:28 PM.
Old 04-16-2010, 02:19 PM
Surfer69
Drifting

I've been focusing on the rear since it feels like that's the origin of the vibration. I did make sure fronts were balanced and have actually rotated wheels to see if it makes a difference and it doesnt.

Get notified of new replies

To Vibration, from bad wheel bearing?

Quick Reply: Vibration, from bad wheel bearing?