C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corvette V12?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2019, 11:35 PM
caskiguy
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 843 Likes on 659 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard454
Working on the wiring....

Been messing with a solution for a while on this one-

I have a E-stopp electric barking brake- the guys at E-Stopp would not give me ANY information on how to "customize" it-

Told them I just wanted to "change" out the switch- but no luck.

Even had a buddy of mine stop by their booth at SEMA and see if he could get any info...Nope!!!

Their switch just looks out of place in my interior - also have a nice looking billet one- but still not my cup of tea.

So- I just cut the "void if removed" sticker and looked inside...cut up some wires and figured out what was needed to incorporate a Mercedes Benz S550 electric parking brake switch-

A couple of Bosch relays and I'm there,

Pull out- disengages the parking brake- push in the button and it engages-

https://youtu.be/hr0-AeuPCHQ

Will look good mounted on the lower dash-

Opps- I guess it's out of warranty!!

Here's my rear storage compartment relay bank-

Started out as a craftsman socket holder!!!

3M Carbon fiber wrap

Relays - fuses- fuel pump switch( to switch between primary and back-up ) PWM control for plate motor- and USB charger plug

The fuses light when blown- and three 'blown" ones to tell me the fuel pump is on(one or two) and if the roll over inertia switch is triggered. If the car won't run- in seconds I'll know if the pump is working

I'll label the box-as far as fuse size and what it controls-

Nice work Richard.
Old 02-21-2019, 02:06 AM
DblTrbl
Burning Brakes

Received 394 Likes on 242 Posts

I have a E-stopp electric barking brake- the guys at E-Stopp would not give me ANY information on how to "customize" it-

Told them I just wanted to "change" out the switch- but no luck.

Even had a buddy of mine stop by their booth at SEMA and see if he could get any info...Nope!!!

Their switch just looks out of place in my interior - also have a nice looking billet one- but still not my cup of tea.

So- I just cut the "void if removed" sticker and looked inside...cut up some wires and figured out what was needed to incorporate a Mercedes Benz S550 electric parking brake switch-

A couple of Bosch relays and I'm there,

Pull out- disengages the parking brake- push in the button and it engages-

https://youtu.be/hr0-AeuPCHQ

Will look good mounted on the lower dash-

That looks like the same Mercedes E brake switch I set up for my buddy. I designed and built him a controller that runs off that switch to open and close Tesla E brake calipers (actually made by Brembo) he is installing in his 56 Belair.

The way I set it up, the LED behind the switch bezel lights green if the brake is open previously, it lights red if the brake was closed, it flashes orange if the brake is changing states. It also has an interface to the reverse lockout circuit so the Ebrake can never be applied when the car is moving, if I remember correctly.

That switch fits nicely with the Belair interior. Very cool.
Old 03-19-2019, 10:39 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,220 Likes on 1,732 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

Originally Posted by DblTrbl
That looks like the same Mercedes E brake switch I set up for my buddy. I designed and built him a controller that runs off that switch to open and close Tesla E brake calipers (actually made by Brembo) he is installing in his 56 Belair.

The way I set it up, the LED behind the switch bezel lights green if the brake is open previously, it lights red if the brake was closed, it flashes orange if the brake is changing states. It also has an interface to the reverse lockout circuit so the Ebrake can never be applied when the car is moving, if I remember correctly.

That switch fits nicely with the Belair interior. Very cool.
Yep- I was rethinking how to keep the e-brake from "working" while driving down the road too. The E-Stopp ECU has an ignition input- which I didn't like the idea of "just in case."

SO - I used a PAC TR7 module to time out- and ONLY be operational if the brake was on. So parking the car- put your foot on the brake- pull the M-B switch and it locks down the parking brake. And only will release if you apply the brake and push in the M-B switch.

AND if you going down the road- brakes go out- foot on the brake pedal - pull the switch and it'll engage the parking brake.

Only once in my driving career have I had the brakes go to the floor- my 65 C2 that had a single master cylinder...fortunately the parking brake slowed it down enough....

Old 03-19-2019, 11:40 PM
DblTrbl
Burning Brakes

I'm listening to the audio of you e-brake motor. It sounds like the motor is hitting a hard stop when it's releasing the brake. Probably sensing stall current on the electric motor.

On the setup for my friend, during opening, It's on for a fixed time after the initial releasing inrush current (while also detecting a hard stop just in case). That way the caliper doesn't open more than it needs to.
Old 03-20-2019, 03:05 AM
mrichi
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I admire your attention to detail, this post started back in 2010 have you not had the car on the road for going on 9 years ?
Old 03-20-2019, 11:14 AM
OldCarBum
Race Director

Received 4,694 Likes on 2,936 Posts

There are those of us, maybe Richard included, who enjoy the build more than the drive.
I've built several cars, boats and motorcycles over the years.
I tend to complete a project, drive it a year or two at the longest, then sell it and start something new.
I haven't even turned a wrench on my 73 and I'm already planning what I'll do with the motor, trans and rear diff that will be coming out.
The following users liked this post:
bmans vette (05-13-2019)
Old 03-20-2019, 12:31 PM
DblTrbl
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by OldCarBum
There are those of us, maybe Richard included, who enjoy the build more than the drive.
I tend to complete a project, drive it a year or two at the longest, then sell it and start something new.
How quickly we forget our previous projects. There was one I wish I didn't give away (in my sig).
Back when my projects were simpler, I used to enjoy the drive alot more.
Old 03-21-2019, 07:02 AM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by OldCarBum
I haven't even turned a wrench on my 73 and I'm already planning what I'll do with the motor, trans and rear diff that will be coming out.
My wife's friend said- "When are you going to drive it?"

I responded with "Just about anybody can drive a car- few can work on them and even less can modify them!"

To me - it's not necessarily the destination but the journey!!!

Originally Posted by DblTrbl
I'm listening to the audio of you e-brake motor. It sounds like the motor is hitting a hard stop when it's releasing the brake. Probably sensing stall current on the electric motor.

On the setup for my friend, during opening, It's on for a fixed time after the initial releasing inrush current (while also detecting a hard stop just in case). That way the caliper doesn't open more than it needs to.
This is a kit from E-stopp.- and that's how they have it set up. They have for years made handicap accessibly controls- so I'm just running what they have. I just added a better on/off switch rather than the pushbutton it came with.

I did look at calipers for the parking brake-but not much out there that will work with out thicker rotors.
bmans vette (05-13-2019)
Old 03-21-2019, 12:53 PM
DblTrbl
Burning Brakes

My wife's friend said- "When are you going to drive it?"

I responded with "Just about anybody can drive a car- few can work on them and even less can modify them!"

To me - it's not necessarily the destination but the journey!!!
The destination is much more appreciated when the journey is epic.

6 years ago my GF said she liked C3s, so I picked one up for a project. She thought we'd be cruising in it 5 years ago.
Old 05-10-2019, 11:23 AM
TheSaint
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

I have to say that you are doing some amaizing quality work on your car
Are you going to have the shark drawing on the chromed gas cap lid? Thinking of the fact that the all chromed gas cal lid have a bit "hubcap" look to it

By the wai here in northern Europe where i live we also say hai for sharks

Keep up the great work

This have cover a bit of "hubcap" look

So the "Haifisch" image would be great on the gas cap cover

Last edited by TheSaint; 05-10-2019 at 11:24 AM.
Old 05-10-2019, 11:45 AM
AirborneSilva
Melting Slicks

Received 81 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by TheSaint
Are you going to have the shark drawing on the chromed gas cap lid? Thinking of the fact that the all chromed gas cal lid have a bit "hubcap" look to it

Keep up the great work

This have cover a bit of "hubcap" look

So the "Haifisch" image would be great on the gas cap cover
The gas cap cover is from a Challenger, gives it a touch of class I think but then again I am biased
Old 05-10-2019, 05:13 PM
L-46man
Melting Slicks

Received 1,218 Likes on 844 Posts

I owned a 1973 Jag E-type V-12.....lousy engine, lousy cooling ,lousy rubber, lousy electrics, lousy transmission, lousy brakes, lousy rust protection....All show and no go.

Why would you put that problematic 265 hp engine in a Corvette? Hint; the oil galleries are on the OUTSIDE of the engine fed by little tubes and banjo fittings....break one engine explodes due to lack of oil.

EEEEFF!

unkahal
Old 05-10-2019, 06:06 PM
Vitaminmopar
Burning Brakes

Received 334 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by L-46man
I owned a 1973 Jag E-type V-12.....lousy engine, lousy cooling ,lousy rubber, lousy electrics, lousy transmission, lousy brakes, lousy rust protection....All show and no go.

Why would you put that problematic 265 hp engine in a Corvette? Hint; the oil galleries are on the OUTSIDE of the engine fed by little tubes and banjo fittings....break one engine explodes due to lack of oil.

EEEEFF!

unkahal
Suggest you read the opening posts of this thread so you can be in the know. The engine is a BMW V12 from a 1990 750IL, see post #5 and #15
Old 05-10-2019, 06:22 PM
L-46man
Melting Slicks

Received 1,218 Likes on 844 Posts

I read this thread from end to end.... While I applaud the poster greatly for putting a QUALITY BMW V-12 in the car and all the fantastic detailed work it took to do it, I took exception to the JAGUAR V12 picture posted....Please do not impugn my ability to read or comprehend....look carefully and you'll see it.
John's Cars in Dallas made and is making a 50 year fortune on removing the British lumps from JAGUARS and putting SBC's in them....hence my horror of the vice-versa.

Unkahal PHD.
Old 05-10-2019, 10:31 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by TheSaint

Keep up the great work

THANK you!!!

Actually had a V12 emblem made up- Aston Martin logo-

Originally Posted by AirborneSilva
The gas cap cover is from a Challenger, gives it a touch of class I think but then again I am biased

Hey Tony-

Nice looking ride- I was going to use a Mustang gas cap...didn't fit well- but might have made the car faster!!!

I hope your son is enjoying your Vette still. Good to hear from you!!!

Originally Posted by L-46man
I read this thread from end to end.... While I applaud the poster greatly for putting a QUALITY BMW V-12 in the car and all the fantastic detailed work it took to do it, I took exception to the JAGUAR V12 picture posted....Please do not impugn my ability to read or comprehend....look carefully and you'll see it.
John's Cars in Dallas made and is making a 50 year fortune on removing the British lumps from JAGUARS and putting SBC's in them....hence my horror of the vice-versa.

Unkahal PHD.
My first car was a British Lump- a Triumph TR4- fortunately had a steep driveway to roll start it!!

Big step in my car ...I now have steering!!!

After fighting the Flaming River R & P Manual Rack and cradle to fit around the oil pan for quite a while...

Cutting up the steering column- shortening it - taking out the key and adding my delay wiper control- modding the hub to fit a Nardi steering wheel-

The topper- decided to take a Nissan Cube's electric power steering motor and ECU- modified it to fit the column...

Whip up a steering linkage that would collapse in case of an accident and work around my dry sump lines and exhaust...

Success it works!!!

It was soooo cool to turn the front wheels with little effort!!!

center support bearing for the steering shaft-

Here's a quick video of my electric power steering conversion...

Actually it's the first time my car has squealed tires in quite some time!!!

After modding the steering column and hub- using a Nardi steering wheel off a Porsche- got the stock horn button to operate the modded horns!!!

Found some nylon threded nuts and bolts at the hardware store-some nylon spacers to isolate and space the horn button out.

Running 2 sets of BMW 750IL Fiamm horns- nice and loud!!!

PeteZO6 (05-10-2019)
Old 05-11-2019, 07:20 AM
AirborneSilva
Melting Slicks

Hi Richard,

Thanks and good to see you're making forward progress on your project. Not sure my Son has been able to enjoy the Vette too much, I know he's done some work on it and I've told him he needs to drive it otherwise a lot of the work I've done on it will just go to crap. Keep on keeping on brother!
Old 05-11-2019, 02:49 PM
DblTrbl
Burning Brakes

Actually it's the first time my car has squealed tires in quite some time!!!
Well said. A toast to more squealing tires.

I did the same thing..... ran the electric steering pump with the engine off. I gotta say, you EPS is much quieter than my volvo pump.

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette V12?

Old 11-06-2019, 11:44 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

OK-a little bit of progress- I hope to start it up again this weekend...

Got my delay wipers with electric power wiper door to cooperate and fit!!!

No mods to the firewall or opening and no need for outboard electronics - like a PWM to adjust the speed- as the rear wiper motor is just about the right speed.

A little tweaking to do- but I'll change the bolt to a clevis that is cotter-less- so if needed -emergency and/or service you can manually open and close the door.

Bad video- too dark- but I did get the stalk on the steering column to operate the 90's Caddy wiper motor- have 2 speeds- intermittent /delay and wash function- plus it parks likes it suppose too!!!

Spare motor - sitting inside the car for testing...

Got some new seats.- used the C3 tracks- and the seats are only 1/4" taller than the old worn out OEM ones-

I really like the red stitching- so I got a red fabric pen and did the steering wheel-

I found some 'new" power window motors- I still decided to powdercoat and paint them- as they didn't look that good....

Also found some used - restored power window regulators and will be able to do the conversion.

I cleaned up the window tracks - were in really good shape- almost look like stainless steel?

The following 2 users liked this post by Richard454:
74_stingray (11-07-2019), Denpo (11-07-2019)
Old 11-07-2019, 07:32 AM
AirborneSilva
Melting Slicks

Looking good Richard, was wondering just the other day how the project was going. Be sure to post a video when you fire that bad boy up!
The following 2 users liked this post by AirborneSilva:
'75 (11-07-2019), OldCarBum (11-07-2019)
Old 11-07-2019, 09:07 AM
DblTrbl
Burning Brakes

Nice to see more progress.

Quick Reply: Corvette V12?