C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carpet Glue

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2002, 04:21 PM
Koz

Default Carpet Glue

Do you glue down the pad/heat shield? Since it get's hot is there a special type of glue to use? Also do you glue the carpet to the pad/heat shield? I'm looking to do this over this weekend if I can get everything at Homey!!
Old 03-15-2002, 05:16 PM
GaryS
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Carpet Glue (Koz)

I use 3M Spray adhesive. Most good auto parts stores, as well as some K Marts and WalMarts, carry it. You should tie everything together so there isn't any sliding around. Spray a fair amount of glue on the clean floor panels and put down your thermal barrier and/or jute padding. Spray some more glue on the padding and then on the back of the carpet. Put the carpet on top of your final layer.

As a side note, pre-fit everything while it is still glue-free for a good trial fit. When you spray the glue on the can says to let it set up for a specified period of time. I like to install the carpet while the glue is still wet. That way any final adjustments can be made with the carpet.
Gary
Old 03-15-2002, 05:24 PM
Pete79L82
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I glued down the heat shield with 3m adhesive but I did not glue down the carpet. I just have it laying in the way the factory does it. For the front carpet the sill plates hold it in place, for the rear carpet the storage door assy. hold it in place.
Old 03-15-2002, 05:36 PM
82dukman
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Carpet Glue (Pete79L82)

I glued down the heat shield with 3m adhesive but I did not glue down the carpet. I just have it laying in the way the factory does it. For the front carpet the sill plates hold it in place, for the rear carpet the storage door assy. hold it in place.
That's what I did too :yesnod:
Old 03-15-2002, 05:52 PM
tshort
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 7-8 Veteran

Default Re: Carpet Glue (82dukman)

I've never had any luck without waiting for the glue to set for a minute or two. Have you noticed it peeling away very easily yet?
I redid my rear compartments a few weeks ago and used that 3M spray. I tried the first one without waiting for it to set and it wouldn't stick well at all. I tried the other 2 with about 1 minute of dry time and they stuck much better.
But then again, I don't think it's that important in the floor carpet cause it has enough things holding it down like the sill plates and rear compartments.
Just my $.02
Old 03-15-2002, 08:39 PM
GaryS
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Carpet Glue (tshort)

I've never had any luck without waiting for the glue to set for a minute or two. Have you noticed it peeling away very easily yet?
I redid my rear compartments a few weeks ago and used that 3M spray. I tried the first one without waiting for it to set and it wouldn't stick well at all. I tried the other 2 with about 1 minute of dry time and they stuck much better....
I should have said that I let the glue set up for about half the time recommeded so that it would hold until it dried. When I was working on my 66 I would let it set until it just started to dry enough that you would only get some of the glue to move if you gently pushed it with your finger.
Gary
Old 03-16-2002, 12:54 PM
Koz

Default Re: Carpet Glue

Thanks! I picked up the 3M 90 spray adhesive and reflective tape from homey! This should be fun!
Old 03-16-2002, 01:16 PM
Edzred72
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Carpet Glue (Pete79L82)

I agree. But a little glue here and there on the carpet helps keep it in place, especially where there is force applied the would make it slide. :cheers:
Old 03-16-2002, 06:15 PM
Magic Fingers
Advanced

As mentioned, pre-fit the entire area to be glued, then just apply spray glue as you go, holding carpet-etc. away from surface about 2 minutes, then press, and work your way through. This may take slightly longer, but try pulling it apart if its not right, (not fun).

Get notified of new replies

To Carpet Glue

Quick Reply: Carpet Glue