C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Stuck Hood

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 12:28 PM
ssenay72
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Stuck Hood

Well the hood is stuck, drivers side, I can lift the passenger side a little.

I have a feeling its the pin adjustment.

There has to be an easier way to open this, forget fishing with the screw driver, i can never find that latch that way. Aside from try to get the hood hinge bolts off what else can i do?

Im ready to give up on this car!

Oh and by the way the brand new hood cable I just put in broke also, handle in hand yet again!

Someone please help. If you live close and want to come by that would be even better.
Old 05-09-2010, 01:17 PM
Mako72
Melting Slicks

Received 694 Likes on 318 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2018 C3 of Year Finalist

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-g...tuck-hood.html
Old 05-09-2010, 03:00 PM
rvazquez
Drifting

Received 145 Likes on 81 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C3 of Year Finalist (stock)

if its a 1972 model you are talking about, just remove the eggcrate grill form the stuck side and reach up and unlatch it
Old 05-09-2010, 04:03 PM
ssenay72
Racer

unfortunately no its a 75.
Old 05-09-2010, 04:33 PM
ssenay72
Racer

So if I emove the outer splash shield on my 75 will i be able to reach up and get it? (splash shield under the fender)
Old 05-09-2010, 06:52 PM
glackore
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes you should. If the cable released the hood but the hood is stuck on the pin you can probably reach the hinge bolts (hood-to-hinge) from the under side of the front grille. By loosening those 2 bolts the hood should move enough to get off of the edge of the pin. Done this myself. Good luck!
Old 05-09-2010, 07:39 PM
ssenay72
Racer

No I dont mean that, at the rear of the fender the outer splash shield method. Does this work on a 75?
Old 05-09-2010, 08:16 PM
croaker
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts

Try having someone pull whats left of your release cable while pulling with a side to side motion thats what I did Were you making adjustments to your latches when this happened? If not you shouldn't be that far off
Old 05-09-2010, 08:30 PM
ssenay72
Racer

already tired that, nope! I think im going to have to get at that latch from the bottom and completely push the level myself or with a pry bar or something. But how to get at it.

Id rathr not try to take the hinge bolts out so if the spalsh shiel dmethod works on a 75 can someone verify.
Old 05-09-2010, 09:42 PM
vettes4evr
Racer

I had this happen on my '72 recently, while adjusting the hood and latches. Drivers side stuck and pass side was popping up okay. So against my better judgement, I used a small pry bar on the rear of the d/side hood while pulling on the release lever and it popped. It must have been right on the edge. After that I adjusted that hood carefully, by eyeballing where the spring latches are and making a mark on the edge of the hood so it would line up. Then I tightened the hinge bolts and held my breath. It works real smooth now.

I thought I saw someone who sells "emergency" cables for each side, which hide out of the way in the wiper area. But they were for '75? on up I believe. I wish there was something like that for '68-'72's for peace of mind.
Old 05-10-2010, 06:02 AM
Avette4me
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Originally Posted by vettes4evr

I thought I saw someone who sells "emergency" cables for each side, which hide out of the way in the wiper area. But they were for '75? on up I believe. I wish there was something like that for '68-'72's for peace of mind.
Here's what I did for an emergency cable - works perfectly on any year..

It's an old cable that broke. Run it down the fire wall and you'll never see it. Easy to reach from under the car if you need to.

Yea, I took the blue shet off...
Old 05-10-2010, 12:35 PM
ssenay72
Racer

well i have a set of those cables on the way (mid america) but i still need to get this thing open. Tonight hopefully.

Im going to remove the splash shiled and see if i can reach up or use a pry bar from underneath to pop the latch somehow.
Old 05-10-2010, 01:47 PM
Mashman
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The problem I had trying to reach up and open it by myself, is the the spring put too much tension on the mechanism to manually do it. I could feel the cable connection to the mechanism, and knew exactly where to manipulate the latch. But it wouldn't budge. I had my wife press down on the hood, while I manipulated the latch, and it moved very easily.
Old 05-10-2010, 02:02 PM
ssenay72
Racer

i tried to have the wife push on the hood while i pulled the release cable but no dice.

I gonna try the splash shield method tonight and see if i can feed a rod or pry bar up there and flick it open or something.

Im about ready to crack out the saws all and buy a new hood !!! LOL kidding.

When you did this method did you trip the latch mounted on the hood itself? (female latch? )
Old 05-10-2010, 05:11 PM
redman76
Melting Slicks

Received 347 Likes on 253 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

I've stuck mine a bunch of times and always managed to get popped by using holes in windshield wiper bay or by moving side to side while someone pulled release. Instead of screwdriver, I used a sturdy oak dowel cut to just the right length to give me enough leverage without marring everything too badly. You'll get it, just keep trying.

[edit] Just thought of this. I put a notch on one end of that same wood dowel and used to press the cable that connects the driver-side to the passenger-side latches. Just raise the passenger side and use dowel to push the cable . . . might be worth a shot.

Once you get it opened, put some wide masking tape or duct tape over the female latches and then ease hood over pins -- just enough to dimple the tape. Then you can lift hood and see where the center of the pin is. If the dimple is in the middle, you are good to go. If not, then just make adjustments as needed. I have not (knock on wood) stuck my hood since I have been using this procedure. Works great!!! Good luck and just keep at it.

Last edited by redman76; 05-10-2010 at 05:16 PM.
Old 05-10-2010, 07:59 PM
ssenay72
Racer

I got it open taking the hood hinge bolts out in the fender well. Unfortunately they wouldn't turn with vise grips , so out came the roto zip and air chisel. Anyway I got it open.

Thanks for the adjustment tips, my question is what about the cross over cable how do I adjust for that?
Old 05-10-2010, 09:09 PM
vettes4evr
Racer

Originally Posted by Avette4me
Here's what I did for an emergency cable - works perfectly on any year..

It's an old cable that broke. Run it down the fire wall and you'll never see it. Easy to reach from under the car if you need to.

Yea, I took the blue shet off...
I'm going to do this. Great idea.

Get notified of new replies

To Another Stuck Hood

Old 05-10-2010, 10:00 PM
Avette4me
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Thanks. I've had to use it once, came in handy.
Old 05-12-2010, 10:27 AM
73StreetRace
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ssenay72
Im ready to give up on this car!
It seems that you're effectively very unlucky with this car, but keep it up, I'm sure some better days will come.

Old 05-12-2010, 02:31 PM
ssenay72
Racer

Im just frustrated thats all, just last night I discovered the rear view mirror screws are frozen too. Always something. By the way I got the measurements on that balancer , pulled it, took more measurements, its fine. It was seated.

Quick Reply: Another Stuck Hood