C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Switching from DOT 3 to DOT 5 Brake Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 01:34 PM
v2racing
Melting Slicks

Received 287 Likes on 236 Posts

I've used DOT 5 since the seventies. Used in Top Fuel bikes, Land Speed Bikes, Road Race bikes and many cars. It's in my Vette now. No matter how hard I drive it, the brakes are always firm and stop great. I've never had a problem with DOT 5.
Old 06-06-2010, 01:06 PM
Solid LT1
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by mrvette
I been DOT 5 for some 15? years now, since I bought the car, a SCCA buddy was using it in his race car....my '72 had stainless lined calipers on it already, so I rebuilt it all since they leaked....lip seals with no springs, and DOT 5 worked for about 2 years, then started leaking again...went O ring pistons/seals....lasted about 5 years or so with DOT 5, street driven daily...a few years ago I replaced the O rings but today with Hydroboost, the brakes are fine....if you have a soft pedal, the problem is in the booster....assuming you don't have air, and if you have O rings, you have no air problems...unless you are a idiot...

so DOT 5 don't suck up water naturally like the others do...

no rust...

can't say about boiling points since I don't race, but have done some goodly high speed stopping, and not so awful evil....ie, nothing noticed....

FAIL!

Because DOT 5 won't absorb the water in the system, it will allow it to pool in remote areas and possibly worsen corrosion problems! Instead of being absorbed by the entire volume of fluid, it will sit in concentrated spots and destroy calipers and compnents of your brake system. I have observed this first hand.
Old 06-07-2010, 01:48 AM
v2racing
Melting Slicks

Received 287 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid LT1
FAIL!

Because DOT 5 won't absorb the water in the system, it will allow it to pool in remote areas and possibly worsen corrosion problems! Instead of being absorbed by the entire volume of fluid, it will sit in concentrated spots and destroy calipers and compnents of your brake system. I have observed this first hand.
I strongly disagree! Because DOT 5 does not absorb moisture from the atmosphere, you do not get water in the system. In three and a half decades of use I have not once seen corrosion or rust caused by DOT 5!

Quick Reply: Switching from DOT 3 to DOT 5 Brake Fluid