C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When is a steel scattersheild necessary?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 12:55 PM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 234 Likes on 143 Posts
Toronto Events Coordinator

Default When is a steel scattersheild necessary?

I am doing the conversion from an auto TH400 to a manual TKO600, and I am wondering if a scattersheild is needed. I have a 406 that is making somewhere over 500hp. I don't drag race anymore on a regular basis, but I might go once or twice in a year. I do want to go to the road course to turn a few laps once in awhile. Different people I talk to tell me different things, the guys at Hurst Driveline Conversions told me in my situation it's not really necessary. The bellhousing that comes in the kit I bought is a reproduction of the stock GM "621" bellhousing that features a titanium-aluminum alloy construction.

What do you guys think?

Old 05-30-2010, 01:08 PM
Corey_68
Team Owner

Received 391 Likes on 237 Posts

Personally I feel it's needed in any classic vette with modded engine and manual tranny.. All it takes is something to come apart and that OEM aluminum belhousing and fiberglass floor wont save your legs. Many guys have had a partial amputation over the years in racing.

If you're spending that kind of money on a transmission why half *** it?

Just my take.
Old 05-30-2010, 01:23 PM
midyearvette
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Corey_68
Personally I feel it's needed in any classic vette with modded engine and manual tranny.. All it takes is something to come apart and that OEM aluminum belhousing and fiberglass floor wont save your legs. Many guys have had a partial amputation over the years in racing.

Just my take.
Old 05-30-2010, 01:23 PM
63mako
Race Director

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

My uncle is missing the front half of his right foot and had a steel floor. They should have been standard equipment.
Old 05-30-2010, 01:24 PM
Big Block 69
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts

I have a Lakewood Scattershield. I have seen carnage from clutch components coming apart and they don't always come apart at WOT.
I feel much safer with it.
Also, My Daughter will be driving soon and I'm sure she will enjoy some "spirited" driving. A Scattershield isn't just cheap insurance, it's peace of mind.
Old 05-30-2010, 02:00 PM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

Just my take.
I was pretty much thinking the same thing, just wasn't sure if it was really necessary. I guess I might as well do it now, since it will all be apart anyways. Whats another couple hundred bucks in top of the almost $6,000 anyways!!!

Any suggestions for a scattersheild? I have heard the McLeods are not well made, and a quick search here showed several posts backing that up. Lakewood? Quicktime?

Old 05-30-2010, 02:10 PM
Ray Y
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 2 Posts

I went with the QuickTime. It is very well fabricated and is heavier flanged than the Lakewood, but that's just my opinion. Either one is a nice insurance policy.
Old 05-30-2010, 02:32 PM
Corey_68
Team Owner

Received 391 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by 7t2vette
I was pretty much thinking the same thing, just wasn't sure if it was really necessary. I guess I might as well do it now, since it will all be apart anyways. Whats another couple hundred bucks in top of the almost $6,000 anyways!!!

Any suggestions for a scattersheild? I have heard the McLeods are not well made, and a quick search here showed several posts backing that up. Lakewood? Quicktime?

Exactly, and how would you feel if you didn't knowing it could have been avoided for only a few hundred dollars.

I'm running a Lakewood, had it for several years now with no issues.
Old 05-30-2010, 03:06 PM
midyearvette
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Exactly, and how would you feel if you didn't knowing it could have been avoided for only a few hundred dollars.

I'm running a Lakewood, had it for several years now with no issues.
Old 05-30-2010, 03:27 PM
Solid LT1
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

I guess you have to ask yourself a simple question, is my right foot worth more than $400 to me? The answer should be an easy one to make
Old 05-30-2010, 05:26 PM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid LT1
I guess you have to ask yourself a simple question, is my right foot worth more than $400 to me? The answer should be an easy one to make

Similar to Evel Knievel's quip, "If you've got a $10 head, wear a $10 helmet."

If you're still not convinced, ask Don Garlits about clutch explosions sometime.

There are far better items on which to save weight and/or money. If that titanium aluminum piece were adequately rated I'd consider it, but I'll stick with my LW SFI bell with block plate

Last edited by TheSkunkWorks; 05-30-2010 at 05:29 PM.
Old 05-30-2010, 05:40 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

20 years ago if I remember right NHRA answered your question with "when you have a solid lift cam".
Old 05-30-2010, 07:17 PM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

Hmmmmmmmm.......I'm not sure about that one!

Seriously though, I've been thinking about it more today, and no GM or other brand production car has ever come with a steel scattershield as far as I know. Not even older Corvettes with fiberglass floors had them; small block or big block all the way to the L-88. Come to think of it, I don't even think new Corvettes use them like the 505hp C6 Z06 or 638hp C6 ZR1. If it really was such a big risk, wouldn't all the manufacturers be using them, back then and right now? They all try to limit liability as much as possible, so are they really needed?
Old 05-30-2010, 07:28 PM
Corvette.Lover
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's not needed just like everything else we buy for our C3's, but you want it just to say, look what I gotz meng!
Old 05-30-2010, 09:54 PM
Phil Zell
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I am doing the conversion from an auto TH400 to a manual TKO600, and I am wondering if a scattersheild is needed. I have a 406 that is making somewhere over 500hp. I don't drag race anymore on a regular basis, but I might go once or twice in a year. I do want to go to the road course to turn a few laps once in awhile. Different people I talk to tell me different things, the guys at Hurst Driveline Conversions told me in my situation it's not really necessary. The bellhousing that comes in the kit I bought is a reproduction of the stock GM "621" bellhousing that features a titanium-aluminum alloy construction.

What do you guys think?

as far as that 621 titanium/aluminum alloy goes that is a crock of sheet.
cheap junk from China that they markup 150%, if you are going to do any racing, do the scatter sheild.

I am sure whoever you are getting the setup from could care less about your right leg.
Old 05-30-2010, 10:21 PM
kellyr073
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmmmmmmmm.......I'm not sure about that one!

Seriously though, I've been thinking about it more today, and no GM or other brand production car has ever come with a steel scattershield as far as I know. Not even older Corvettes with fiberglass floors had them; small block or big block all the way to the L-88. Come to think of it, I don't even think new Corvettes use them like the 505hp C6 Z06 or 638hp C6 ZR1. If it really was such a big risk, wouldn't all the manufacturers be using them, back then and right now? They all try to limit liability as much as possible, so are they really needed?
Great question! What does the Z06 or ZR1 have? I agree with the added insurance even though I put the alumium back on when I beefed up the motor a bit.
Old 05-31-2010, 12:19 AM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,329 Likes on 1,057 Posts

I use all SFI rated stuff. If your flywheel is rated less chance of it coming apart in the first place. Lots of these SFI parts became rules because of blow ups years ago. I also have an SFI drive line hoop.

Corvettes fall apart in a wreck. So I put in a full cage.

IMO - Be as safe as you can.

I have a low Vette and the Lakewood bell actaully hangs down very low. I cut mine off below the lower bolt circle. It is made out of very tough steel

Get notified of new replies

To When is a steel scattersheild necessary?

Old 05-31-2010, 08:03 AM
city_08
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old flywheels are made from nodular iron and with age, heat and aluminum bellhousing, I don't want to imagine the disaster.

I have put an sfi steel flywheel and clutch in a Lakewood bellhousing and I feel safer with a 7500rpm red line.

It's just few bucks more but when you're totaly rebuilding your transmission, you're not stopped by that.
Old 05-31-2010, 11:55 AM
blckslvr79
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Block 69
I have a Lakewood Scattershield. I have seen carnage from clutch components coming apart and they don't always come apart at WOT.
I feel much safer with it.
Also, My Daughter will be driving soon and I'm sure she will enjoy some "spirited" driving. A Scattershield isn't just cheap insurance, it's peace of mind.

Same here.
Old 05-31-2010, 12:49 PM
Big Block 69
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts

Some Mid sixties Mopars (Hemi & Max Wedge) DID come with Steel Scattershield. The word "Steel" was on the outside so Tech Inspectors could see it.
Also, After someone has lost their foot or leg to a Clutch explosion, they can't buy it back for the price of a SFI Scattershield. Just buy the Scattershield first and be done with it.

Quick Reply: When is a steel scattersheild necessary?