C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Show and tell: lets see your broken parts

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 08:00 AM
73StreetRace
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mick 72
Thankfully no engine internals were damaged since the car immediately shut off due to lack of fire.
Not even the distributor or camshaft gears ?

Originally Posted by snoopykissedlucy
Does this seat qualify as a broken part? or just plain sad?
(it is for sale too)

Just sad and worn ? Sorry, but I think I won't buy it !

Last edited by 73StreetRace; 06-17-2010 at 08:04 AM.
Old 06-17-2010, 08:49 AM
Mick 72
Instructor

Nothing. Thank goodness. When I removed the oil pump even the internals there were fine but it would not prime anymore before I removed it.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:23 AM
73StreetRace
Burning Brakes

Nothing. Thank goodness. When I removed the oil pump even the internals there were fine but it would not prime anymore before I removed it.
You're a lucky guy !
Old 06-17-2010, 09:42 AM
Bob Heine
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't know if this qualifies as a broken part. This was my first Corvette. A 69 390hp 427 4-speed loaded convertible (power everything, air and factory AM/FM stereo).

This happened at fairly low speed (35-40 mph) in 1977 on a rainy night. Spun out and broadsided two new cars parked at a restaurant (valet put new caddy & lincoln out front).

Funny part of the story... My head went through the side window so there was a lot of cubes of glass between my shoulder and the door panel. Had to push hard to open the door and I cut the end of my stump (lost my left arm 12 years before). Because it was raining, the few drops of blood spread and covered the end of my stump. The valet came running to see if I was alright and passed out when he saw the blood where my arm was supposed to be. I was fine but the poor kid had a nasty lump on his head.

Only had liability on the car. Wife made me sell the wreck and buy a safer car. Found the 72 454 auto coupe (also loaded but without leather) that I still have. Oh yeah, safer meant something automatic with a non-cloth roof.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:51 AM
73StreetRace
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bob Heine
I don't know if this qualifies as a broken part. This was my first Corvette. A 69 390hp 427 4-speed loaded convertible (power everything, air and factory AM/FM stereo).

This happened at fairly low speed (35-40 mph) in 1977 on a rainy night. Spun out and broadsided two new cars parked at a restaurant (valet put new caddy & lincoln out front).

Funny part of the story... My head went through the side window so there was a lot of cubes of glass between my shoulder and the door panel. Had to push hard to open the door and I cut the end of my stump (lost my left arm 12 years before). Because it was raining, the few drops of blood spread and covered the end of my stump. The valet came running to see if I was alright and passed out when he saw the blood where my arm was supposed to be. I was fine but the poor kid had a nasty lump on his head.

Only had liability on the car. Wife made me sell the wreck and buy a safer car. Found the 72 454 auto coupe (also loaded but without leather) that I still have. Oh yeah, safer meant something automatic with a non-cloth roof.
Poor little '69...
RIP
Old 06-17-2010, 11:33 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,219 Likes on 1,731 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

Not broken...BUT really close...

Steering shaft off a friend's C2- the week after had had just done a couple laps at Atlanta Motor Speedway. He said the steering wheel was squeaking!!!!

Old 06-18-2010, 12:31 AM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

I bought a 4th gen Camaro and pulled the blown LT1 engine. I could barely remove the flywheel because it was twisted and jambed on the bolts so hard they would not undo. I had to hammer on them with an impact for quite a while then the flywheel literally jumped back and forth when I got the last one loose.

So, I pulled the pan and found the culprit. Rod #8 was a beat up piece of I beam with no ends on it rolling around in the pan. Rod #7 was through the cylinder and jammed between the block and the piston head. I wish I had rod #8, the ends were even all rounded from being hammered by the rotating assembly so long. The only other parts of the rod that were recognizable were the parts just around the bolts.

Piston #8 was still in the cylinder. It was just the head broken off at the oil rings. It must have kept dropping into the engine then getting pushed back up. Piston 7 was in pieces - obviously since the head of the piston was jammed between the rod, crank and block.

I also had to hammer in the sides of the pan to get to the bolts. Needless to say, there was very little that could be salvaged. The heads were actually OK except that one spark plug was pushed out damaging the plug threads.

It must have locked up at some decent speed and the sudden lockup and slide jambed the flywheel. It had ran for quite some time with

It something to think it ran that long with rod #8 completely broken off and rolling around in the pan. It's also amazing that rod never broke anything until it finally took out #7. If it was shut off before that had happened then the engine could have been rebuilt.

Peter

Last edited by lionelhutz; 06-18-2010 at 12:34 AM.
Old 06-18-2010, 12:44 AM
gingerbreadman1977
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

bob heine your story is the winner for me
Old 06-18-2010, 03:56 AM
Solid LT1
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

I was on a local cruise and my tranny decides that it doesn't want to shift from 2nd to 3rd and at about 4000 RPM my oil pump decides to lock up. The lock down was so sudden and at such high RPM the distributor was the weak link. Thankfully no engine internals were damaged since the car immediately shut off due to lack of fire.
Was it a newer Melling pump with powder metal gears in it? I just had it out with Melling over a 10553 M Select series pump that has powdered metal gears in it. They are sending me a set of the steel billet gears that they say it should have had in it when I bought it. Melling is finally returning to steel billet gears in their M Select line of HP pumps but, beware, there is old inventory out there.

The way to check for powdered metal gears, is to use a felt tip pen and see if the ink is asorbed into the metal if it is, throw that pump away or give it to someone you don't like
Old 06-18-2010, 05:13 PM
Mick 72
Instructor

I got the pump with the engine rebuild kit so I don't really remember. It's been two years since I did the rebuild but I have had other issues keeping from putting a lot of miles on the car. The engine only had 2400 miles on it in the two years I've rebuilt it and I'm sure that's what it could have been. I did upgrade the pump this go round.
Old 06-18-2010, 11:45 PM
75+78 Corvettes
Pro

very old master cylinder and fluid. Brakes locked up solid while driving. had to remove the lines to the MC to release pressure so the calipers would release.

Old 06-19-2010, 01:26 PM
CA-Legal-Vette
Race Director

Received 318 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by 75+78 Corvettes
very old master cylinder and fluid. Brakes locked up solid while driving. had to remove the lines to the MC to release pressure so the calipers would release.
I must say, that's impressive!
Old 06-20-2010, 12:07 AM
KevinK
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KevinK
THAT has to be the most awesome thing I'ver ever seen in my entire life
You know, if you just take that off, and install it on the other side, and do the same thing to it, it'll just work itself out.
Old 06-20-2010, 08:30 AM
johnmb
Racer

"You know, if you just take that off, and install it on the other side, and do the same thing to it, it'll just work itself out."

We can assume that the car hooks up well................ :-)
Old 06-23-2010, 04:21 AM
gingerbreadman1977
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what you think of this piston/valve failure?

Old 06-23-2010, 04:34 AM
73StreetRace
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by gingerbreadman1977
what you think of this piston/valve failure?

I'd call that picture "CARNAL FUSION"
Old 06-23-2010, 10:05 AM
champs65
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by gingerbreadman1977
it was a lot of parts but they all broke at once.

Good God, did you hit a train?

Get notified of new replies

To Show and tell: lets see your broken parts

Old 06-23-2010, 06:25 PM
Bob Heine
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by champs65
Good God, did you hit a train?
Gingerbreadman1977 can probably explain this wreck better but I've seen wrecks like them in person.

This is a fairly typical accident in Australia. They don't happen often but are really horrendous when they do. The roads are mostly 2-lane and just wide enough for their big rigs and buses. That accident looks like it involved a road train with roo bars on it (road trains are a bit bigger than our big rigs here in the US). Very little survives a collision with one of those. For more info and a couple of pictures of the wee ones:
http://outbacktowing.tripod.com/

"The Australian Road-Train are the longest trucks in the world. They have 3 or more trailers and are 53 metres long, ( 174 feet ) hauling 115 metric tons (253,531 pounds). Keep an eye open for the super Road-Train it has 7 trailers and hauls 190 metric tons."
Old 06-23-2010, 07:54 PM
n.g.hayes
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I see a fetish for twisted metal starting here. May as well add my recent pain.

Old 06-24-2010, 09:28 AM
Vetteran'81
Instructor

OMG, this pictures are like looking a train wrecks or cadaver photos. Makes me queezy.

Quick Reply: Show and tell: lets see your broken parts