C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alloy Wheels Can Be Repaired

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 01:51 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Default Alloy Wheels Can Be Repaired

Some, not all. I posted on this some time ago but it might be of interest to new members. Here you see typical curb rash or perhaps a botched tire installation. This wheel was on my 1974 when I purchased it in 2008. It annoyed the h*** out of me although the tire did not lose pressure.

I rather liked those Centerline clones from Enkei and the chances of finding a replacement were basically zero. I also did not relish the thought of getting a new set of wheels what with cost, shipping, brokerage fees, taxes, and installation. Serious money. So I asked a colleague at my GM dealer (my DD is an Impala) and he referred me to a local restoration company.

They said maybe yes, maybe no on the repair but after a week the deed was done. The processes are proprietary so beyond doing some cutting/welding and turning/smoothing out the wheel looked perfect. The cost of ~$250US with dismounting/remounting/balancing was much less than getting a new set.

I will mention the company because their web site has some very useful information, including info on what can and cannot be done. And being in Canada it is not in conflict with Forum sponsors. If I have breached Forum etiquette the moderators can delete the link.

http://www.alloywheelrepair.ca/About.html

The wheel is left rear.

Last edited by Paul L; 08-02-2010 at 02:15 PM.
Old 08-02-2010, 08:30 PM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,490 Likes on 1,644 Posts

Weldcraft Inc. in Michigan is another great wheel repair company. They repair, widen, and narrow. They also converted 17s to 18s for one of our forum members.

By the way your wheel looks great. Nice work!
Old 08-02-2010, 08:34 PM
SanDiegoPaul
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is a very common thing and has been for years. If you are in an area where you DON"T know of an Alloy Repair company, check with a few tire shops.

Get notified of new replies

To Alloy Wheels Can Be Repaired

Quick Reply: Alloy Wheels Can Be Repaired