C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headers or stock manifolds?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 01:44 AM
1955pirate
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headers or stock manifolds?

How many of you run your basically stock C3 (small block) with stock exhaust manifold as opposed to headers? I am going to do a new exhaust system (true dual exhaust as stock) and am pondering whether or not to stay with the stock manifolds or go with headers. I have had headers on a number of my Chevy pickups, both small block and big block and found that a lot of them are not that durable.

If you are running headers what brand and what are your experiences as far as leaks/warps, etc.
Old 07-12-2010, 02:21 AM
elke_10
Instructor

well thats up to you as you say they don't last long well depends on what your buying there with jethots and cermics and stainless all out there then the good old just steel tubes that those do tend to take a beating. it all really comes down to what you want to spend i am a header guy if i can get headers on it their going on alot of ppl go cermic i perfer jethot then theres that bunch that goes stainless i am not a fan of stainless unless this is a show car that really gets driven as stainless holds a lot of heat and in my opinion leads to high underhood temps and if their polished there is always a point on a daily that their gonna end up being blued. these are my opinions thats all sure someone wil disagree with me but we all have our own thoughts

as far as leaks i have had the occosional collector blow out and a few flange caskets and a few lost header bolts in my day but if going headers a great investment is wired header bolts or theres is a kit that use a clip like a E-clip that the flat end snugs against the tube to prevent loosening. I perfer the wired bolts just think it looks a lil nicer with stainless header bolts and i nice twisted wire over the tube but hey thats just me.

brands just about all of them i have put on something lol.

Last edited by elke_10; 07-12-2010 at 02:27 AM.
Old 07-12-2010, 02:33 AM
rx3191
Advanced

is your engine stock? looking at the stock manifolds they don't look like they flow very well at all! i think they would hurt performance on anything more than a stock setup.
Old 07-12-2010, 07:15 AM
markdtn
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I am running C4 TPI manifolds which are like mini-headers. They have a true 2 1/2" outlet unlike stock manifolds. Kind of a compromise. Real headers can cook the oil in a C2 or C3 steering box due to the way they route.

Old 07-12-2010, 01:43 PM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Received 740 Likes on 617 Posts

Originally Posted by markdtn
I am running C4 TPI manifolds which are like mini-headers. They have a true 2 1/2" outlet unlike stock manifolds. Kind of a compromise. Real headers can cook the oil in a C2 or C3 steering box due to the way they route.

\\

Boy, I wish I had known about using the C4 manifolds before I put on McJacks shorty header which are an exact duplicate of the OEM manifolds. I bet they would have been a lot cheaper but McJacks do come with 2.5 inch collectors if you want and hook directly up to OEM duals for the OEM manifold with zero modifications and have large primaries. Very nice. How much were they and how big are the tubes?
Old 07-12-2010, 03:52 PM
Corey_68
Team Owner

Received 391 Likes on 237 Posts

if the engine is stock/mildly modded, the classic ram horn manifolds will flow just fine.
Old 07-12-2010, 04:12 PM
marz
Burning Brakes

Ceramic long tube headers on all my motors. Better breathing, better torque, better hp, etc.
Old 07-12-2010, 05:10 PM
markdtn
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jb78L-82
\\

Boy, I wish I had known about using the C4 manifolds before I put on McJacks shorty header which are an exact duplicate of the OEM manifolds. I bet they would have been a lot cheaper but McJacks do come with 2.5 inch collectors if you want and hook directly up to OEM duals for the OEM manifold with zero modifications and have large primaries. Very nice. How much were they and how big are the tubes?
SB C3s all have 2" outlets on the manifolds. (the last 2 1/2" ram horn was used in '64). The C4 TPI manifolds have true 2 1/2" outlets. They don't direct bolt to any C3 exhaust system because even the SB cars that got 2 1/2" exhaust had a 2" part until after it turned back under the car. I think I paid $75 for the pair, both lefts. I drilled out the AIR tubes and welded the holes up for no restrictions. They require ball and socket joints instead of the rams-horn cone in cone joint, but the exhaust shop can handle that.

C4 LT1 manifolds also fit, they are cast iron and have true 2 1/2" outlets. They do have a tendency to crack so make sure you take the shield off before you buy if you went that route.
Old 07-12-2010, 07:46 PM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by markdtn
SB C3s all have 2" outlets on the manifolds. (the last 2 1/2" ram horn was used in '64). The C4 TPI manifolds have true 2 1/2" outlets. They don't direct bolt to any C3 exhaust system because even the SB cars that got 2 1/2" exhaust had a 2" part until after it turned back under the car. I think I paid $75 for the pair, both lefts. I drilled out the AIR tubes and welded the holes up for no restrictions. They require ball and socket joints instead of the rams-horn cone in cone joint, but the exhaust shop can handle that.

C4 LT1 manifolds also fit, they are cast iron and have true 2 1/2" outlets. They do have a tendency to crack so make sure you take the shield off before you buy if you went that route.
Thanx for the response!
Old 07-12-2010, 09:48 PM
redwingvette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 139 Likes on 74 Posts

I have stock manifolds with my Magnaflow system. Someday I may change that.
youtube
Old 07-12-2010, 10:00 PM
VancouverMark
Advanced

Default Stock or Headers?

Originally Posted by Corey_68
if the engine is stock/mildly modded, the classic ram horn manifolds will flow just fine.
I have a stock, with only a Performer Intake and 600CFM Edelbrock Add on. I just changed my stock Mufflers to MagnaFlows last weekend and I LOVE the sound!

I was going to swap out my Manifolds to a set of Hedman or Flowtech Headers, but now I am considering leaving it as is. Mine is a city, Sunny day driver, I don't race it or anything. The sound is great now, and I am wondering will there be any benefit in changing to headers?

Or I am just throwing more $$ for nothing? I should also note, I RARELY get her above 3500 RPM, maybe when I am on an On-ramp for the Freeway, but thats about it.

Last edited by VancouverMark; 07-13-2010 at 11:03 AM.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:49 AM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by VancouverMark
I have a stock, with only a Performer Intake and 600CFM Edelbrock Add on. I just changed my stock Mufflers to MagnaFlows last weekend and I LOVE the sound!

I was going to swap out my Manifolds to a set of Hedman or Flowtech Headers, but now I am considering leaving it as is. Mine is a city, Sunny day driver, I don't race it or anything. The sound is great now, and I am wondering will there be any benefit in changing to headers?

Or I am just throwing more $$ for nothing?
My inclination would be to leave it alone if you just cruise with it. With that said, adding McJack's shorty headers to the 2.5 true duals and Monza Turbo mufflers on my L-82 4 speed definitely allowed it to pull better at mid to high rpm's (above 3,500-6,000). Same effect by adding BBK shorty headers to my 1994 mustang GT which already had a 2.5 magnaflow X pipe with converters and 2.5 inch magnaflow mufflers. no change at lower RPM's but headers will make the car a little louder since the gases flow generaly better.
Old 07-13-2010, 12:17 PM
TopGunn
Drifting

Originally Posted by Corey_68
Old 07-29-2010, 12:27 AM
marshrat99
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hedman Elites here, x-pipe, Dynomax turbos. Really changes the sound.
Old 07-29-2010, 03:41 AM
laytonkopplin
Racer

what about hooker headers?
Old 07-29-2010, 08:15 AM
MrJlr
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

And what HP gain can one expect ?

Get notified of new replies

To Headers or stock manifolds?

Quick Reply: Headers or stock manifolds?