C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who's going to the Car Craft Summernationals in St Paul?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 11:39 PM
MN80Vette
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Different location!!

I just found out this evening that a car club has "our" usual area reserved, so I will be in a different location than previously posted.

Since we are a family-oriented car club, shade is a priority for little kids. (I'm old enough to be their grandfather.)

You can still find me on Randall Ave, but west of Underwood (towards the U of M St. Paul campus) on the grass median instead of east of Cooper on the grass median.

BTW, there was a couple in a '78 or '79 at registration today that I later saw at the Dairy Queen off Lake Drive. Was that any of you?
Old 07-16-2010, 07:07 PM
fauxrs
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad to meet you down there at the autocross. I will be timing at the launch box (just past the autocross track) both saturday and sunday and would love to see some forum members down there

Cheers all
Old 07-16-2010, 08:27 PM
v2racing
Melting Slicks

Received 287 Likes on 236 Posts

I was nice meeting you and MN80Vette.

I had a blast on the Autocross. My daughter beat me with her S4. I ran a 43.8 and she ran a 43.5. She has all wheel drive, it's lowered and bigger Hi Perf tires. She did a good job though.

I did run quicker than some of the late model cars, including C5 and C6 Vettes. Not too bad on 255/60/15 all season tires (Indy 500).

I may do it again tomorrow. I wish I could get some real tires though.
Old 07-17-2010, 07:22 AM
MN80Vette
Drifting

Originally Posted by v2racing
I was nice meeting you and MN80Vette.

I had a blast on the Autocross. My daughter beat me with her S4. I ran a 43.8 and she ran a 43.5. She has all wheel drive, it's lowered and bigger Hi Perf tires. She did a good job though.

I did run quicker than some of the late model cars, including C5 and C6 Vettes. Not too bad on 255/60/15 all season tires (Indy 500).

I may do it again tomorrow. I wish I could get some real tires though.
Sure, your daughter beat you, but I did see her collect a few cones on a run. At least your runs were all clean. Your car sounded better too.

I was going to stiffen my front springs and tighten up my sway bar last night but didn't get to it. I'm going to try autocross and maybe the launch box today.

Look for us on the median coming up the hill from the Grandstand.
Old 07-17-2010, 09:02 AM
427V8
C6 the C5 of tomorrow
Support Corvetteforum!

MN80, I'l (hopefully) be on the other side of the road from you across from the arcade.
73Blwn and I were there yesterday, looked all over for you guys.

I'll be leaving shortly hopefully to beat the crowds.
Look for this

Old 07-17-2010, 09:52 AM
v2racing
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by MN80Vette
Sure, your daughter beat you, but I did see her collect a few cones on a run. At least your runs were all clean. Your car sounded better too.

She got the hang of it after a couple runs and started getting smooth clean runs. We adjusted her air pressure and that picked her up a full second.
Old 07-17-2010, 11:47 AM
73BLWN
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 16 Posts

Yep, 427V8 and I bumped into each other at registration.
Here are a couple shots of us parked next to each other at the show.
We walked around looking for you guys, but didn't find you. I'll try to get down there today, and look in the specific spots that were listed.

It looks like it's gonna be a scorcher today.
Old 07-17-2010, 04:41 PM
MN80Vette
Drifting

Originally Posted by 427V8
MN80, I'l (hopefully) be on the other side of the road from you across from the arcade.
73Blwn and I were there yesterday, looked all over for you guys.

I'll be leaving shortly hopefully to beat the crowds.
Look for this

We stopped by your car twice today, but you were probably out looking for us (or just looking at all the nice muscle cars). My wife like the hood and sidepipes on your car.

I autocrossed today along with a gazillion other cars today. The waiting line was way too long. I only got in two runs. My first run was basically a leisurely tour of the course. My only real attempt was a 43.44. These 255/45-18's were a HUGE improvement over the 255/60-15's I had last year. Next year I am going to do my autocrossing on Friday. I may try again tomorrow, but I won't be there until late in the morning.

That Dakota Digital gauge kit really caught my attention.

I also recruited a few more Corvette Forum members. One had a nice '80 and the other has been shopping for a late C3 for a couple of years and is itching to buy. I told him to join HERE first. Code 28 Dark Blue Metallic is his first choice. That's why he stopped by to talk.

Maybe I'll see you guys tomorrow.
Old 07-17-2010, 05:09 PM
fauxrs
Le Mans Master

The launch box will running from9:30 to 12:30 tommorow. Right now the record is 4.4 seconds held by one of the Real Street Eliminator corvettes. There have been some very quick non RSE competitors too

To run the launch box you just need the same tech inspection as the autocross. That is handled by the SCCA folks there.

If you dont want to run swing by and say hello

Cheers. Eric
Old 07-17-2010, 05:40 PM
MN80Vette
Drifting

Originally Posted by fauxrs
The launch box will running from9:30 to 12:30 tommorow. Right now the record is 4.4 seconds held by one of the Real Street Eliminator corvettes. There have been some very quick non RSE competitors too

To run the launch box you just need the same tech inspection as the autocross. That is handled by the SCCA folks there.

If you dont want to run swing by and say hello

Cheers. Eric
Do I need a separate inspection or is my inspection from today good for tomorrow. Weather permitting, I'll be there to give it a try.

Any tips? Or is that insider information?
Old 07-17-2010, 05:56 PM
427V8
C6 the C5 of tomorrow
Support Corvetteforum!

We stopped by your car twice today, but you were probably out looking for us (or just looking at all the nice muscle cars). My wife like the hood and sidepipes on your car.
Dang, I saw some people looking at it, but I was sitting a ways away under a pop up in the shade, against the building just to the south.
I'll probably be in that spot again tomorrow ( who knows ) as I have friends that get there early and set up camp.

Tell your wife thanks

Marty, (73Blwn), nice pictures!

Last edited by 427V8; 07-17-2010 at 05:58 PM.
Old 07-17-2010, 06:20 PM
fauxrs
Le Mans Master

Do I need a separate inspection or is my inspection from today good for tomorrow. Weather permitting, I'll be there to give it a try.

Any tips? Or is that insider information?

I am fairly certain that if you have your tech inspection sticker woth your participant number its good for the entire event. I identify your car by its participant number that the scca guys give you.

As far as tips hey its not top secret. The course is 150 feet long it is 0 to 0 with elapsed time as the goal. The secret is in getting a good launch and staying hooked up too much wheel spin will give you slower times. In the finish box the biggest secret is to not be afraid of the cones they arent goong to hurt the car and the car wont hurt them Obviosly the best car is one that can stay in the throttle the longest. We have had some very dramatic runs with cars sliding into box nearly sideways We've had full blown drag cars with crazy skinny fronts just sliding into the box.

The great thing is is that unless i have a line forming you cand prtty much make as many runs as you want

Right now there is the 4.4 second vette but there is a clapped out big block camaro that is sitting at 4.6 and its driven by some young local guys. They launch great and have nearly perfected the sliding finish.

Last edited by fauxrs; 07-17-2010 at 06:23 PM.
Old 07-17-2010, 08:51 PM
MN80Vette
Drifting

Originally Posted by fauxrs
I am fairly certain that if you have your tech inspection sticker woth your participant number its good for the entire event. I identify your car by its participant number that the scca guys give you.

As far as tips hey its not top secret. The course is 150 feet long it is 0 to 0 with elapsed time as the goal. The secret is in getting a good launch and staying hooked up too much wheel spin will give you slower times. In the finish box the biggest secret is to not be afraid of the cones they arent goong to hurt the car and the car wont hurt them Obviosly the best car is one that can stay in the throttle the longest. We have had some very dramatic runs with cars sliding into box nearly sideways We've had full blown drag cars with crazy skinny fronts just sliding into the box.

The great thing is is that unless i have a line forming you cand prtty much make as many runs as you want

Right now there is the 4.4 second vette but there is a clapped out big block camaro that is sitting at 4.6 and its driven by some young local guys. They launch great and have nearly perfected the sliding finish.
That sounds like fun. I can stay hooked up if I don't rev too high and drop the clutch. It launches best if I start aggressively and let the motor do the work. I've just got 255 street tires, so I don't expect sub-5 times.

427V8, tell me again which major builds are closest to where you were parked. We'll try to find you again.

We're on Randall and Underwood on the west side at the top of the hill as you head down to the Grandstand infield for the autocross and launch box.
Old 07-17-2010, 09:23 PM
427V8
C6 the C5 of tomorrow
Support Corvetteforum!

Just south on underwood at the very south end of the kidway, aka desert.
I was and hope to be on the east side of underwood just before the first building as you are heading south
Old 07-17-2010, 09:25 PM
v2racing
Melting Slicks

I had a great day. It started with a stop at the auto parts store to pick up some front control arm shims (I was going to kick in a little more caster and camber) and my starter died right there. Tried to start it and it just clicked. Jumped across the terminals and nothing. The armature wouldn't spin. Luckily, I was at an auto parts store and they had a starter for $44. I had to lay in the parking lot trying to work under the car with no way to lift it. The sun was on the side of the car I had to work from of course. I got it changed though and away we went. Got to Minneapolis and found out I 94 was closed, I come from the west, so I had to drive through town. The traffic was heavy and I had to stop at every single light. Finally got to I 35W North and then turned on to University only to have the car die. We were able to coast to the side out of traffic. I check and there was no spark. First thing I thought was the MSD died. Looked at all the wiring to the distributor and box and everything seemed fine. I called a friend of mine and he was going to bring me an HEI to get me going again. I then thought maybe I should look at the main power wire for the MSD at the starter. It was burned in half. I had accidentally hooked the wire on a clamp when I changed the starter and it shorted and burned in two. There was enough wire to reroute it and I connected it back up. It was alive again. Called my friend and told him not to come and headed for the fairgrounds. Took over half an hour to get from the entrance to the autocross track. Got there just in time for it to start raining. My wife and I decided it just wasn't meant to be today and headed for a good restaurant.

I'm going to try and be at the course and in line when the open it up tomorrow. You can find me there, I hope, in a dark green 80.

Last edited by v2racing; 07-17-2010 at 09:29 PM.
Old 07-17-2010, 10:31 PM
mvette76
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hopefully everybody made it home safe and dodged the storms!
Old 07-18-2010, 12:10 AM
MN-Brent
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like if I make it tomorrow, I'll be a spectator only. I'll be looking to see whats left after the storms tonight!!!

B.

Get notified of new replies

To Who's going to the Car Craft Summernationals in St Paul?

Old 07-18-2010, 04:27 PM
fauxrs
Le Mans Master

Well that completes my work at the summer nats. We had some bizarre reactions to mn80's car but got it worked out and pulled a couple of decent times.

The 4.4 time held for the weekend and was crucial to the winner of the late model Real Street Eliminator.

I had a great time and was pleased to meet everyone
Old 07-18-2010, 06:36 PM
v2racing
Melting Slicks

I was nice meeting fauxrs and MN80Vette. I looked all over and never could find anyone else. It's a big place though.

I had a much better day today. I ran a 42.777 at the Autocross to beat my daughters time in her S4 and MN80Vette on his sticky tires. I told him I was going to write that here. LOL I was pushing those 255/60/15's for everything they were worth and a little more.
Old 07-18-2010, 11:06 PM
MN80Vette
Drifting

Originally Posted by v2racing
I was nice meeting fauxrs and MN80Vette. I looked all over and never could find anyone else. It's a big place though.

I had a much better day today. I ran a 42.777 at the Autocross to beat my daughters time in her S4 and MN80Vette on his sticky tires. I told him I was going to write that here. LOL I was pushing those 255/60/15's for everything they were worth and a little more.
It's true. He beat me by .67 second, which is a lot for such a short and tight course. V2 was fun to watch...pretty smooth and clean, but his 406 CID engine needs some new sticky shoes. If he gets new wheels and tires before next year, I'm toast.

Rematch next year? Let's plan for Friday, when the line isn't so long. Then we'll do launch box.

Anyone else care to join us?

Quick Reply: Who's going to the Car Craft Summernationals in St Paul?