C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vibration damper installation

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2018, 05:11 PM
drwet
Melting Slicks

Received 538 Likes on 413 Posts

Default Vibration damper installation

My wife is out for the evening. Its a good time to install my vibration damper, since she tends to freak when she sees car parts in the oven. What temperature should I heat the damper to prior to pressing it on?
Old 01-05-2018, 05:35 PM
GOSFAST
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by drwet
My wife is out for the evening. Its a good time to install my vibration damper, since she tends to freak when she sees car parts in the oven. What temperature should I heat the damper to prior to pressing it on?
No oven necessary, we use "hot" oil and it usually slides right on by hand!! And it doesn't get the outer ring OR the "rubber" all that hot, only directly on the inner hub.

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. Regardless which method you use you should know the exact amount of press-fit between the damper and the crank BEFORE you attempt it!! This isn't as important if it is a simple R&R deal!
Attached Images  
Old 01-05-2018, 07:28 PM
drwet
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by GOSFAST
No oven necessary, we use "hot" oil and it usually slides right on by hand!! And it doesn't get the outer ring OR the "rubber" all that hot, only directly on the inner hub.

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. Regardless which method you use you should know the exact amount of press-fit between the damper and the crank BEFORE you attempt it!! This isn't as important if it is a simple R&R deal!
How much of an interference fit do you recommend?
Old 01-06-2018, 12:02 AM
ronarndt
Drifting

Received 252 Likes on 193 Posts

OK, I'll ask the question. Why not use the harmonic dampener installation tool? A little oil on the crank nose and the tool presses the dampener on correctly without a lot of fuss. I've heated other parts up to expand them, but there is an inexpensive tool that does the job here. The comments about heat damaging the paint should be more concerned about damaging the rubber in the dampener.
The following users liked this post:
Greg (01-06-2018)
Old 01-06-2018, 08:44 AM
GOSFAST
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 65 Posts

How much of an interference fit do you recommend?

On an OEM SBC you want to see about .001" interference (press)!

These dimensions have much to do with the actual damper material but the OEM's are pretty much "standard"?

Using the can of oil and small heater makes it an easy "go" for both the SB's AND the BB's as long as the press fit's are close to where they belong! Many aftermarket dampers need some honing to get the fit correct.

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. The OEM crank snouts (SBC's) O.D. should measure 1.247" (nominal) and the damper I.D. should be 1.246" (also nominal).
The following users liked this post:
drwet (01-06-2018)
Old 01-06-2018, 09:49 AM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,288 Likes on 3,918 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

Is it new or original. If you took it off it will go in with the installation tool and a little oil. If its new I would get a caliper and do some measuring.I bought new one from summit and it went on without any heating and just a litlle lube using the installation tool. Good luck
Old 01-06-2018, 12:02 PM
gg521
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 50 Posts

Go to Auto Zone and they will loan you an installation tool. Save the oven for cookies.
Old 01-06-2018, 03:01 PM
drwet
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ronarndt
OK, I'll ask the question. Why not use the harmonic dampener installation tool? A little oil on the crank nose and the tool presses the dampener on correctly without a lot of fuss. I've heated other parts up to expand them, but there is an inexpensive tool that does the job here. The comments about heat damaging the paint should be more concerned about damaging the rubber in the dampener.
I have the tool and have used it many times over the years. I always feel a little uncomfortable with the amount of pressure it takes to get them on. Last couple I did I heated it up to about 150 deg. It only makes sense to me to get physics on my side and heat up the damper to ease installation. Engine runs around 200 deg. so I figure it should be safe to that level. I'm just curious about what others on this forum are doing. I don't always take the advice given here, but I always find the discussion interesting.
Old 01-07-2018, 02:42 PM
calwldlife
Team Owner

Received 762 Likes on 613 Posts
St. Jude Donor '22

I have not done the heat method.
looking back there are a couple installs that it would have helped.
Old 01-07-2018, 09:32 PM
Duane4238
Burning Brakes

Received 140 Likes on 93 Posts

I've used an old blow dryer or even a heat gun set up on the bench and aimed at the center of the balancer. Let it run for 5 minutes or so and check it with an infrared thermometer. You only have to get it hot enough so it expands more than the original "cold" size and it doesn't take much.
Duane
Old 01-07-2018, 09:54 PM
drwet
Melting Slicks

I installed the damper this afternoon. Put it in the oven at 190 deg for about 45 minutes. It was still a snug fit as my damper was a .002" press fit. I probably should have honed the inside of the damper to a .001" press fit, but I figured it was close enough. Ultimately it went on OK and I'm pretty sure its not going anywhere.

Get notified of new replies

To Vibration damper installation

Quick Reply: Vibration damper installation