C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SEE PIC - Need help with PS belt for 1971 454 no AC? Please help!

Old 10-11-2010, 01:49 PM
ORANGEBROTHERS
Team Owner

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Default SEE PIC - Need help with PS belt for 1971 454 no AC? Please help!

Whats the belts size P/N that I should buy for my 454's PS without AC?

The PS belt on there now is as tight as it will get but its a tad long so it slips and screeches at higher RPM.
Old 10-11-2010, 02:04 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Is there a length printed on your existing belt? If so, purchase a replacement about an inch shorter.

Old 10-11-2010, 02:26 PM
mysixtynine
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts

I hate messing with belt lengths Ive made 5 trips in one night to help my father with his belts on his 55 chevy.

Take the belt with you and many places have a tool to measure it. You should try both 1/2 and 1" shorter to reduce the number of trips. Unless they wont let you return it.

Also, You may just need to add the additional rear belt as it could just be the crank pulley squealing with out the additional belt. Your water pump, power steering and alternator are being driven by one belt in your picture. Add the rear belt and see what happens as well. You don't want to over tighten the belts or you wear out your accessories bearings that way.
Old 10-11-2010, 02:40 PM
ORANGEBROTHERS
Team Owner

Originally Posted by mysixtynine
I hate messing with belt lengths Ive made 5 trips in one night to help my father with his belts on his 55 chevy.

Take the belt with you and many places have a tool to measure it. You should try both 1/2 and 1" shorter to reduce the number of trips. Unless they wont let you return it.

Also, You may just need to add the additional rear belt as it could just be the crank pulley squealing with out the additional belt. Your water pump, power steering and alternator are being driven by one belt in your picture. Add the rear belt and see what happens as well. You don't want to over tighten the belts or you wear out your accessories bearings that way.
Ok Thanks! Its not the pulley cause i hit the belt with some belt dressing and it stopped making noise problem is thats not a solution, it will make noise again at some point.

Last edited by ORANGEBROTHERS; 10-11-2010 at 02:45 PM.
Old 10-11-2010, 04:33 PM
Wardy
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quanta has the right belts for you. Looks like you also need the 1st track captive belt. That one is a real bitch to install. My WP pulley squealed at high RPM's till I got mine in.
Old 10-11-2010, 04:43 PM
ORANGEBROTHERS
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Wardy
Quanta has the right belts for you. Looks like you also need the 1st track captive belt. That one is a real bitch to install. My WP pulley squealed at high RPM's till I got mine in.
It looks like I should be running a one belt from the crank to the fan and a separate belt from the fan / water pump to the PS pump and then a third belt from the alt to the PS. Is that correct?
Old 10-11-2010, 05:15 PM
Wardy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DJN
It looks like I should be running a one belt from the crank to the fan and a separate belt from the fan / water pump to the PS pump and then a third belt from the alt to the PS. Is that correct?
I think that's right. This is from my '72 AIM. I have AC, so I have an idler pulley for the captive belt and therefore a little slack to get it on. You're probably going to have to take the crank or WP pulley off to get the inside belt on. Not a whole lotta fun.
Old 10-11-2010, 05:26 PM
blackbeauty74
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 74 454 with no a/c with power steering looks just like the diagram that Wardy posted. I used to have that same problem until I added the belt that runs from the crank to the water pump. I used gates belts from Napa.
Old 10-11-2010, 05:52 PM
Frogday
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by blackbeauty74
My 74 454 with no a/c with power steering looks just like the diagram that Wardy posted. I used to have that same problem until I added the belt that runs from the crank to the water pump. I used gates belts from Napa.
And it is one fun belt to put on too.
Old 10-11-2010, 06:32 PM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Numbers of the belts I'm using:

Dayco 15325 Crank to Water pump
Dayco 15445 Crank to water pump to Power Steering
NAPA 25-08003 Power Steering to Alternator

All these came out mid-range in the adjustment (except WP of course)
The pulleys on my 69 are all the original 427/435 parts, as are all the brackets.
Be careful of the length of the crank to WP belt. Too tight and it'll rip the bearings out of the WP== quick fast and in a hurry.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:58 AM
ORANGEBROTHERS
Team Owner

I'm having a hell of a time finding the crank to water pump belt what is the P/N of that belt? Please any ideas anyone? Thanks again!
Old 10-12-2010, 09:17 AM
Wardy
Intermediate

Like I said, Quanta has the belt you need (although their website appears to be down). The GM part number is 3952336, so you could try NAPA etc and they should be able to get a belt the right length.
Old 10-12-2010, 09:18 AM
ORANGEBROTHERS
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Wardy
Like I said, Quanta has the belt you need (although their website appears to be down). The GM part number is 3952336, so you could try NAPA etc and they should be able to get a belt the right length.
Thank you! I was trying Quanta as well but you're right site is down.
Old 10-12-2010, 01:04 PM
joe@zip
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Here is our 1972 Corvette 454 power steering belt
Corvette Tech Articles
Old 10-12-2010, 02:01 PM
ORANGEBROTHERS
Team Owner

Thanks guys just picked up the three belts this morning went with Goodyear gatorbacks can't beat em at 10 bucks a pop. Will install tonight any hicups I'll let you know...
Old 10-12-2010, 08:58 PM
ORANGEBROTHERS
Team Owner

Done deal no more slipping that crank to water-pump belt was a PITA!

Took her for a test drive beautiful night she ran great!
Old 12-26-2010, 08:05 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

I'm bumping this old thread up to see if anyone having any luck with different brands of belts besides GATES?

My 71 BB is also squealing the PS belt..... I have had two different GATES belts(7440/7435) on it, different lengths....I can get it REALLY snug, then run it a bit and it stretches after a few miles....be loose and squealing like a pig. Then I can re-tighten it and it seems to loosen up again....But even when it is guitar string tight it will squeal.

Mine only squeals when the electric fan kicks on and it pulls on the alternator....especially if I go around a turn(power steering load) while the fan kicks on....holy crap its loud and embarassing...It does this hot or cold. Belt dressing on the PS belt will keep it quiet for a couple hundred miles but it makes a mess and is not a correct fix. Pulley alignment is about 95% true and the belts fit well down in the pullies. Belts and pullies are new. I also have the dead man belt and idler tensioner in place and that belt is tight.

I am thinking of trying a different brand of belt, maybe something with a different side surface....

Get notified of new replies

To SEE PIC - Need help with PS belt for 1971 454 no AC? Please help!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: SEE PIC - Need help with PS belt for 1971 454 no AC? Please help!