C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Brakes are killing me!!!

Old 10-31-2010, 03:32 PM
offroadtoyota
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Brakes are killing me!!!

I'm at the end of my rope on trying to get my front brakes to lock up. They have been iffy since I got the car @ 2 1/2 years ago (74 vert, 350)
About a month & half ago I had to do a panic stop as an a**hole truck driver pulled out right in front of me & I decided I need to get this pig to stop as a vette should.
This is only the front circuit- the rear brakes work great.
The fronts feel as if they are at about 75%, there is some stopping power, but not enough to lock the fronts up.
The pedal goes to the floor.
1. replace leaky front calipers with SS oring from Lonestar, also went to wagner semimetallic pads on front from organic, no significant change in braking power, but car didn't pull anymore during a stop. That to care of the air in system.
2. shim front rotors & tighten wheel bearings, .005 & .003 on outer edge run out
3. replace master, no change
4. added Summit line lock to fronts to diagnose front stopping power. Front brakes will not hold firm during a burnout, rolls forward @ 5-7 mph when backs are spinning.
5. dissassembled combo valve, cleaned out some dirt & stuff inside, no change
6. master cylinder pushrod adjusted to the point of lockup, then backed off 1/2 turn, no slop there, no change
7. replaced hard lines in front circuit, no change
8. ran new hard lines direct from master to calipers, bypassing line lock & comb valve, again no change
9. turned rotors & reshimmed, .002 runout at outer edge
10. added 2lb residual valve to frt. better pedal but no more braking power.
11.replaced 4yr old rubber hoses with S/S russell hoses, no change
12. replaced master again with a NAPA unit, no change
13. removed residual valve due to a slow bleed flow
14. disassembled comb valve & line lock again looking for any restriction, cleaned & replaced, no change

Master cylinders have been bench bled while level, tilted forward, tilted backwards, & on a sideways angle.
The system has been bled @ 20 times so far with no change. Bleeding has been by pressure bleeding & the old push on the pedal method. Either way, I'm not getting any air after initial bleed when changing components. Flow out of all four calipers is about equal when bleeding.
I've probably done brakes well over a hundred times, replaced calipers, masters & ran lines countless times & have never hit a brick wall like this.
I just changed my 73 FJ-40 to disk brakes, replaced all lines, master & vac booster. That will lock up 35" tires by barely thinking about it. I'm pretty confident in my ability, but this vette has me lost.
Before I hear HydroBoost, some please help me find a way to get the front tires to stop to the point of locking up. Remember, the rears work perfectly.
thanks, Todd
Old 10-31-2010, 06:52 PM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Check the hole in the bottom of the master cylinder. Make sure it uncovers when the brakes are released. If it does not, no fluid is getting to the front.
Old 10-31-2010, 07:05 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Wrong diameter piston in M/C?
Old 10-31-2010, 07:08 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Maybe I missed it but is this standard or power brakes ? If its standard , are you putting 1" bore masters on it ?
I had a guy in that had 3 cylinders on his , problem was the parts guys were matching what he brought in , an 1 1/8" power master had been put on his standard brake car. It wouldn't stop for crap but had a great pedal. I put a 1" master on and it "put you through the windshield" brakes after that.

edit-dang Mike beat me to it-i'm a slow typer !
Old 10-31-2010, 07:57 PM
mar
Burning Brakes

Hmmmmm - I have a 74' 350 also and my non-P/B pedal feels soft and the brakes are very weak. I'm busy with the interior right now and some engine stuff and intend to pressure bleed it soon. Will be interested in your 'fix'. I did pressure bleed the drivers side front a month ago, but again , the car is in the garage and not driving it now.

Originally Posted by offroadtoyota
I'm at the end of my rope on trying to get my front brakes to lock up. They have been iffy since I got the car @ 2 1/2 years ago (74 vert, 350)
About a month & half ago I had to do a panic stop as an a**hole truck driver pulled out right in front of me & I decided I need to get this pig to stop as a vette should.
This is only the front circuit- the rear brakes work great.
The fronts feel as if they are at about 75%, there is some stopping power, but not enough to lock the fronts up.
1. replace leaky front calipers with SS oring from Lonestar, also went to wagner semimetallic pads on front from organic, no significant change in braking power, but car didn't pull anymore during a stop. That to care of the air in system.
2. shim front rotors & tighten wheel bearings, .005 & .003 on outer edge run out
3. replace master, no change
4. added Summit line lock to fronts to diagnose front stopping power. Front brakes will not hold firm during a burnout, rolls forward @ 5-7 mph when backs are spinning.
5. dissassembled combo valve, cleaned out some dirt & stuff inside, no change
6. master cylinder pushrod adjusted to the point of lockup, then backed off 1/2 turn, no slop there, no change
7. replaced hard lines in front circuit, no change
8. ran new hard lines direct from master to calipers, bypassing line lock & comb valve, again no change
9. turned rotors & reshimmed, .002 runout at outer edge
10. added 2lb residual valve to frt. better pedal but no more braking power.
11.replaced 4yr old rubber hoses with S/S russell hoses, no change
12. replaced master again with a NAPA unit, no change
13. removed residual valve due to a slow bleed flow
14. disassembled comb valve & line lock again looking for any restriction, cleaned & replaced, no change

Master cylinders have been bench bled while level, tilted forward, tilted backwards, & on a sideways angle.
The system has been bled @ 20 times so far with no change. Bleeding has been by pressure bleeding & the old push on the pedal method. Either way, I'm not getting any air after initial bleed when changing components. Flow out of all four calipers is about equal when bleeding.
I've probably done brakes well over a hundred times, replaced calipers, masters & ran lines countless times & have never hit a brick wall like this.
I just changed my 73 FJ-40 to disk brakes, replaced all lines, master & vac booster. That will lock up 35" tires by barely thinking about it. I'm pretty confident in my ability, but this vette has me lost.
Before I hear HydroBoost, some please help me find a way to get the front tires to stop to the point of locking up. Remember, the rears work perfectly.
thanks, Todd
Old 10-31-2010, 11:08 PM
SanDiegoPaul
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try replacing the calipers. Warranty those 'new' ones you have and let us know if that helps. Are these NAPA master cylinders you're buying new or reman?
Old 11-01-2010, 01:35 AM
offroadtoyota
Instructor

There are power brakes on the car. The first master cyliner was from RockAuto & the second was from Napa. No matching of parts, but a lookup for a 74 vette with power brakes.
I haven't taken the master apart to check bore size by going on the assumtion that 2 diff masters by 2 diff suppliers would not be wrong.

The frt calipers were replaced 2 yrs ago with Advance Auto units right after I bought the car when the clip came off the RF caliper pin & the pads came out. That was an exciting stop in traffic! The pads came out, the pistons blew out & there was nothing for front brakes.
Both frt calipers were again replaced 3 weeks ago with SS o-ring calipers from Volunteer Vette (Lonestar). I see no isues with calipers as there is no pulling left or right, it stops in a straight line, it just will not lock up frt tires at all.

Last edited by offroadtoyota; 11-01-2010 at 01:42 AM. Reason: reman masters
Old 11-01-2010, 01:43 AM
offroadtoyota
Instructor

reman masters from wagner & Napa
Old 11-01-2010, 03:38 AM
c31980
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

try to switch the lines that goes from the m/c ,, the rear line to the front hole and front
to the rear
Old 11-01-2010, 05:46 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

I didn't see any mention of the proportioning valve. Have you checked that 'puppy' out? Oh, and don't assume that the part number book is correct. I've seen books with incorrect data before...and they never get corrected [re. master cylinder selection].
Old 11-01-2010, 07:59 AM
...Roger...
Race Director

I haven't taken the master apart to check bore size by going on the assumtion that 2 diff masters by 2 diff suppliers would not be wrong.

right after I bought the car when the clip came off the RF caliper pin & the pads came out.
No dis-assembly required , you can just measure at the C clip.
I've never seen a standard master on a power brake car , I would guess it would create a low pedal.

Just curious , when the pad pin fell out was it in with the head towards the inside ? Did you have stock wheels or mags ?

c31980 has an idea ,although the lines should be different sizes.
Old 11-01-2010, 08:21 AM
bashcraft
Le Mans Master

Received 109 Likes on 83 Posts

Is there a way to tell the bore size of the master cylinder without taking it apart?

I guess I'm a little late

Last edited by bashcraft; 11-01-2010 at 08:22 AM. Reason: I was sleeping
Old 11-01-2010, 09:05 AM
joshtried
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 14 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

have you tried completely blowing out the brake lines?
maybe you have an obstruction in line preventing proper fluid travel???
Old 11-01-2010, 09:20 AM
...Roger...
Race Director

Todd , after rereading your OP ,after all the work you have done is your pedal still going to the floor on hard braking ?
Old 11-01-2010, 09:39 AM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

There are power brakes on the car. :
Are you sure your booster is working?
Old 11-01-2010, 07:35 PM
vettehardt
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Ward
Are you sure your booster is working?

That was my thought after reading his post and every thing he has done. He hasn't said anything about the booster.

Is it getting enough vacuum?
Old 11-01-2010, 09:53 PM
offroadtoyota
Instructor

I did takout the prop valve twice & sprayed it with brake cleaner inside & out, then blew it out with air. The spring mounted part inside moves freely & the brake light does not come on during driving. The light did come on when I ran separate lines to bypass it & only the rears were going through it.

I have thought seriously about changing the front & back lines out of the master, but I'm not quite there yet.

When I drove to work today, in "normal" traffic, the car stops nice with no issues. During some "spirited" driving around the industrial park, with hard stops, the pedal goes right to the floor. About the time the pedal hits the stop, the backs are locked up. I have to stand on the pedal pretty good to get to this point.
Vaccum is on the low side with the cam, but not overly so. Comp cams 274. I'll have to check vacuum tomorrow.
I keep hearing ringing of hydroboost in my ears, but I would have to hit myself repeatly with a hammer if I spent the money & beer to change over & I still had the same problem.
I'm taking the line lock off tomorrow. Maybe there is a big air bubble in there that isn't bleeding out?

Get notified of new replies

To Front Brakes are killing me!!!

Old 11-01-2010, 10:02 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Your pedal should not be going to the floor. I agree with you ,you probably are missing some air.
Old 11-01-2010, 10:30 PM
my 76 ray
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Let me start by saying you sound like you know what you are doing and I doubt that this is the problem, but, when my neighbor did it, he knew better and still he couldn't find the problem. He had the calipers on the wrong sides which puts the bleeder on the bottom and makes it impossible to get the air out. That's the only thing I didn't see you mention in your post.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:13 AM
vettehardt
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I was talking with a guy about brakes on a 69 a while back. He changed about every thing, but figured out he had some problems with not getting enough vacuum to opperate the brakes properly. He installed an electric vacuum pump in the system and his brake problems went away.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Front Brakes are killing me!!!