C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Muncie Transmission Castings

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 12:30 PM
jtramont
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Muncie Transmission Castings

OK...I'm not thinking that this is a dumb question

I pulled the transmission out of my 73 which I believe is a Muncie based on the cover. The castings are:

Tail housing 3978764
Cover 3952648
Main housing 3925861
Tag on the cover 6271516WD
Bellhousing 3899621

Finally the POS clutch I pulled out I think was a 26 spline.

I'm trying to replace the tail seal and input shaft seal along with the clutch and before proceeding I thought I better identify the tranny so I make sure that I have the correct clutch as the seals didn't fit.
Old 11-29-2010, 01:53 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Looks to be legit numbers. I think your main case numbers should be 661 not 861 for the last 3 digits. The 26 spline is correct also.

http://www.5speeds.com/casting.html
Old 11-29-2010, 06:40 PM
jtramont
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the reply. I'll reverify the numbers, I was in a hurry this morning so I could have easily gotten them wrong.

So outside of a different rear seal, it doesn't matter if the tail section is from 32 spline transmission?

Also correct me if I'm wrong but isn't there supposed to be a input shaft seal on the back side of the cover on the front of the main case? The shop manual shows one but there isn't one there and I'm thinking it's why I was losing fluid. I tried to get one from the local parts store but it didn't fit (it was for a 27 spline transmission). If there is supposed to be one, would you know the part number or size?

Thanks again!
Old 11-29-2010, 07:03 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

There is no seal other than a gasket or some sealer on the front of the case. The part that the throwout bearing rides on is gasketed or sealed to the case. Other than that there is a seal at the rear output shaft. The 27 spline is the smaller output shaft used in the early Muncies. Yours should be a 32 spline output shaft.

Get notified of new replies

To Muncie Transmission Castings

Quick Reply: Muncie Transmission Castings