C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I975, Master cylinder/brake booster combination

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2002, 03:14 PM
ClausC
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default I975, Master cylinder/brake booster combination

My 1975 Corvette, which I acquired a few years back, came with a MC/booster combination, which I believe is not original. The push rod on the booster is very short and there is only a shallow indentation in the master cylinder piston for the push rod to seat in. Last year, the MC failed due to severe corrosion inside. I then bought a remanufactured MC/booster combination from Eckler's which looked very similar to the existing set-up. However, the remanufactured MC was even more corroded than my old one. I then decided to buy an original MC (GM/Delco, also from Eckler's) but this one has a deep well in the piston for the booster push rod! In my Haynes manual, the picture of the M/C indeed shows such a deep well in the piston. However, now the push rod of the (unoriginal) booster is too short and it cannot be adjusted! How can I match this to the new and original MC? Is it possible to replace the booster pushrod with a longer one or do I need to get an original GM booster as well?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions/advice.
Old 07-30-2012, 04:42 PM
as_nia
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ClausC
My 1975 Corvette, which I acquired a few years back, came with a MC/booster combination, which I believe is not original. The push rod on the booster is very short and there is only a shallow indentation in the master cylinder piston for the push rod to seat in. Last year, the MC failed due to severe corrosion inside. I then bought a remanufactured MC/booster combination from Eckler's which looked very similar to the existing set-up. However, the remanufactured MC was even more corroded than my old one. I then decided to buy an original MC (GM/Delco, also from Eckler's) but this one has a deep well in the piston for the booster push rod! In my Haynes manual, the picture of the M/C indeed shows such a deep well in the piston. However, now the push rod of the (unoriginal) booster is too short and it cannot be adjusted! How can I match this to the new and original MC? Is it possible to replace the booster pushrod with a longer one or do I need to get an original GM booster as well?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions/advice.
did you ever resolve this issue? i'm dealing with a similar issue at the moment where my right caliper was leaking so i just changed both front calipers and now my mechanic is saying that my brake booster needs to be changed. my pedal is barely reacting / engaging..
Old 07-30-2012, 05:27 PM
noonie
Race Director

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by as_nia
did you ever resolve this issue? i'm dealing with a similar issue at the moment where my right caliper was leaking so i just changed both front calipers and now my mechanic is saying that my brake booster needs to be changed. my pedal is barely reacting / engaging..
The master with a deep piston and matching booster is correct for a 75 and earlier. The master with a dimple piston and a booster with a recessed mount are 77 and later. It's easiest and cheaper to get the correct master for the booster you have. Either setup will work on all cars.
If you have the ability to make your own rod, you can mix and match.

Get notified of new replies

To I975, Master cylinder/brake booster combination

Quick Reply: I975, Master cylinder/brake booster combination