C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the difference between PPG and Sherwin Williams???

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2002, 11:18 PM
VETJET
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is the difference between PPG and Sherwin Williams???

I have noticed that most custom cars are painted using PPG paint. What is the difference between it and say Sherwin Williams???

Thanks.
Old 04-08-2002, 12:02 AM
joeveto
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Contributor

Default Re: What is the difference between PPG and Sherwin Williams??? (VETJET)

I think they're both quality paints. But I believe PPG specializes in auto paints, while Sherwin williams does everything from bathroom trim to your bumpers. Cost wise, I can't say.
Old 04-08-2002, 06:51 AM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A lot has to do with the painter's preference....PPG seem to be a little easier to work with. I have seen good results from many products..
Old 04-08-2002, 11:25 AM
fontking1a
Burning Brakes

I was unaware that Sherwin-Williams has an Automotive Paint Division. Do they? Anybody know? They do make a great product....for your house....but your car.....??????
Old 04-08-2002, 11:30 AM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

Maybe Lars or some other experienced painter will chime in. From my limited experience and from talking to the guy who painted my car, there's also a difference in how paints hold up. Cheaper paints will haze and have to be polished regularly. A crappy shop (dealership) painted the spoiler on my Z28 years ago and the paint never looked as shiny as the rest of the factory paint. Polishing would make it look good for about 6 months and then it would haze again.

My vette is painted with the $$$ PPG base/clear. It's not blended, which I'm told is good. The back half of the car was just repainted after I was rear-ended. Even though the front paint is 4 years old, the back half matches perfectly. Absolutely no difference. There was no blending done. Painter said this is to be expected with PPG. It doesn't start to fade until it's 8-10 years old. Only downside is the PPG paint is about $90/pint.
Old 04-08-2002, 12:29 PM
lbell101
Melting Slicks

Default Re: What is the difference between PPG and Sherwin Williams??? (zwede)

Sherwin-Williams does make an auto paint. I used it years ago and it seemed of very good quality. At the time I was looking for an alternative to Centari which gives me terrible headaches. I ended up switching to Ditzler(PPG) so I must have liked it a little better than the SW. All of these brands seem to be nice paints though. I'm experimenting with Sikkens now, lots of people seem to like it.
Old 04-08-2002, 12:31 PM
KenSny
Melting Slicks

Received 276 Likes on 201 Posts

Default Re: What is the difference between PPG and Sherwin Williams??? (fontking1a)

I was unaware that Sherwin-Williams has an Automotive Paint Division. Do they? Anybody know? They do make a great product....for your house....but your car.....??????
Yes, SW has an automotive paint division. I have been getting my lacquer there for a number of years. They will mix to match if you have the original Fisher code, and depending on the store, they can use a computer to match what you have on the car for an extra cost of course.
Old 04-09-2002, 08:54 AM
rhenning
Advanced

I would choose PPG over Sherwin Williams anyday. Especially in the clear department.

I take HOK over PPG unless you're after OEM colors since they only offer custom colors.

Regards,
Old 04-09-2002, 09:10 AM
Vettesic
Drifting

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Default Re: What is the difference between PPG and Sherwin Williams??? (rhenning)

Where does the Spies-Heckler line fit in, quality wise??
Old 04-09-2002, 09:11 AM
NoWorries
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We used to shoot a Sherwin Williams Jet-Glo on our choppers. We eventually decided to switch everything over to Imron because it lasts longer.
Old 04-09-2002, 10:12 PM
CF6873
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: What is the difference between PPG and Sherwin Williams??? (Vettesic)

Spies Hecker is a division of Herbert's Paint as is Standox. They are both huge in Europe. Last year the Herbert's Co was purchased by Dupont Performance Coatings and now they have much bigger distribution in the US. They are excellant products as is Dupont. There seems to be a lot of PPG used by forum members but my preference is Dupont. They have very easy to use products that perform very well. Between Dupont and PPG they own the bulk of market share in the refinish business. Craig :flag
Old 04-09-2002, 10:14 PM
VETJET
Instructor

Default Re: What is the difference between PPG and Sherwin Williams??? (NoWorries)

We have used Sherwin Williams on our corporate aircraft for years and it out performs the Imron paint which is no longer used in the aviation industry due to EPA regulations.
Old 04-09-2002, 11:49 PM
vettedan
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

VETJET- Price is the biggest difference. I've used them both and they are both quality paint.
Dan
Old 04-10-2002, 10:12 AM
Geoff1340
Instructor

Just shot my 77 with SW base/clear with great results, my local NAPA store was very helpfull too.....02

Get notified of new replies

To What is the difference between PPG and Sherwin Williams???

Quick Reply: What is the difference between PPG and Sherwin Williams???