C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Doug Herbert 383 Stroker 2,000 miles & new motor time - need hood advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 10:42 PM
99 Black Bird TA
Racer

Received 160 Likes on 86 Posts

Default Doug Herbert 383 Stroker 2,000 miles & new motor time - need hood advice

Last summer, I posted about putting a Doug Herbert 383 stroker in my 72 vette. Short version, there were issues, one of which was oil leaking at the rear main seal. The thing never ran like is should etc. Engine was pulled, so the oil pan could be removed, and the shop discovered the back of the crank was messed up. More investigation, found many other problems like crank walk, rockers not making flush contact with push rods, it's a long painful story with the DH 383. So a new engine is being build at my expense to replace the worthless DH 383. In short, after tear down the Dart Race Pro heads are the only useful parts out of the DH 383.

New motor is looking like a Dart block with 4.125 bore 3.75 stroke for a 400 CID motor. Mahle pistons w/11.3 compression, new Scat crank & rods. Roller cam to be determimed

New custom built engine will use a Dart intake & the shop says I need a new functional cowl hood with 3 more inches of clearance. I want a short factory style hood & I'd like to keep the wiper bay door, given what I spent getting it to work properly. Will the Ecklers L-88 or Big Block hood work for this application? Are there other hoods I should look at?

We start on the new motor tomorrow
Old 01-19-2011, 01:51 AM
v2racing
Melting Slicks

Received 287 Likes on 236 Posts

Sorry to hear about your bad luck. The new engine sounds like it will be fun.

I have a Dart intake on the 406 in my 75 Vert right now, it is tall, especially with a 1/2" nitrous plate on top. I also have the Eckler's L88 hood, air chamber and L88 AC base plate. It is tight, but it does fit.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:07 AM
99 Black Bird TA
Racer

V2, thank you for the info on the L88 hood and Dart intake.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:37 AM
alswagg
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a question, Why stick with the old style blocks, 2 piece crank seals? Another question, Why not buy a brand new Rotating assy from GM? GM has several options, including 4 bolt mains, stroker motors, ect. The use of new technology gaskets, covers, balanacers, ect. We no longer are buying rebuilt or remanufactured engines for our marine buisiness. I have used only brand new GM equipment, price is the same, reliability is much better. I am just looking as suggestions. Al
Old 01-19-2011, 09:37 AM
BLOCKMAN
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 99 Black Bird TA

New motor is looking like a Dart block with 4.125 bore 3.75 stroke for a 400 CID motor. Mahle pistons w/11.3 compression, new Scat crank & rods. Roller cam to be determimed

We start on the new motor tomorrow
If you are going with the Dart SHP block and money is no issue you might look at the SHP Pro block its 300 dollars more with all 5 caps are 4 bolt billet, BBC cam tunnel and .904 lifter bores and if you are going with the Scat Procpmp rods with the 7/16 bolts and a roller cam there should be plenty of rod to cam clearance.

Using a .904 lifter with a bigger body, wheel and axel makes for a more dependable lifter and with a .810 wheel over a .750 wheel the cam grinder will need to know that when grinding the cam.

Al's
Why stick with the old style blocks, 2 piece crank seals?
We don't seem to have any issues with 2 peice seal block have used them for years with zero problems, In fact some of our builds with the one piece rear seals block we you a 2 piece rear seal cranks in those blocks.

Building a 400 CID engine your going to be into a Bowtie block which is big money compared to the Dart SHP block!!!

One other thing you not restricted to an exteranally balanced flywheel with a 2 piece rear seal crank if you are using a 3.750 stroke and 6 inch rods.

Why not buy a brand new Rotating assy from GM
GM uses PM rods and I have never been a fan of them and a 3.800 stroke crank requires a special piston that can be bought from GM but price those pistons out and see how they cost compared to the Mahles, Lets see the GM pistons alone are Probably 900.00 and we have been selling the Mahle power pac piston and ring kits for 550.00

GM has several options, including 4 bolt mains, stroker motors, ect. The use of new technology gaskets, covers, balanacers,
GM's machine work does not even compare to a Dart platform as we have not seen to many GM block that have flat decks or are even close for side to side as far as deck height.

Lets see GM blocks and parts are machined in Mexico and other places around the globe and Darts are made in the U.S. who do you want to support Mexicans or Americans????

GM hurt a lot of venders when they were in trouble thats why some of the P/N have been discontinued like the 1182 forged crank for example.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:39 AM
99 Black Bird TA
Racer

Blockman, Money is an issue to a degree, I'll mention the Dart Pro SHP block. I'll be ordering parts tomorrow most likely.

Alswagg, best part of the GM crate motor is the warrenty and being able to get any engine issues serviced at a dealer. However, the cam and power level isn't to my liking and I like the idea of the 400 over the 383.

Last edited by 99 Black Bird TA; 01-19-2011 at 11:45 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Doug Herbert 383 Stroker 2,000 miles & new motor time - need hood advice

Quick Reply: Doug Herbert 383 Stroker 2,000 miles & new motor time - need hood advice