C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shark Bite coilovers versus monoleaf?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 01:43 AM
macx
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Shark Bite coilovers versus monoleaf?

I just spent some time reading about both front monoleaf conversions and the Shark Bite coilovers.

Then also checked out the Shark Bite for the rears, altho I see they don't list them for an 81, so emailed and asked if they have any plans for that.

What's the better system for the front, the monoleaf or the Shark Bite coilovers, and why? I'm not looking for a road racer, just a decent firm handling ride that doesn't shake the car apart on rough roads.

Thanks!
Old 01-27-2011, 08:43 AM
Van Steel
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts

We have rear coilovers for 63-82.

http://www.vansteel.com/index.cfm?fu...&SubGroup=1971
Old 01-27-2011, 09:35 AM
DKDunn04
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you ever owned coilovers? I had them on my last car and they are the biggest pain in the butt on a street driven car. The jam nut will loosen sometimes, so you have to get under there and tighten it, then you have to measure everything to see if the adjusting nut moved at all, and if it did you have to move one side and remeasure over and over. They always make noise, no matter how well they are adjusted. If you are going to be doing racing with it, I highly recommend them for the adjustability, but I am very against them for a road car. I just dont think they are worth the extra money and pain-in-the-buttness.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:33 AM
Van Steel

First time hearing that. What coilovers did you have?
Old 01-27-2011, 10:44 AM
DKDunn04
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They weren't on a Corvette, they were on my old Mustang. If these don't have the same problems I had, then I would be more likely to want to buy coilovers, but for a street driven car, I just wouldn't be able to justify the extra cost.
Old 01-27-2011, 01:39 PM
Van Steel

I've have coilovers on 2 seperate cars (70 Monte Carlo & 80 Vette, which was the test mule for our front & rear kits) and I've never had them come loose. Been on there for at least 5 yrs.
Old 01-27-2011, 01:45 PM
panic
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Van Steel
I've have coilovers on 2 seperate cars (70 Monte Carlo & 80 Vette, which was the test mule for our front & rear kits) and I've never had them come loose. Been on there for at least 5 yrs.
I have front transverse FG monospring (Eckler's kit), your tubular a-arms and QA1 single adjustable shocks, what would I need to go into front coilover set-up?

What about rear? I have FG monospring, your offset trailing arms and, again, QA1 single adjustable shocks...

Thanks for your inputs.
Old 01-27-2011, 02:21 PM
Van Steel

Panic,
Did you just do my upper arms? I don't think you got the lowers.

As for the QA1's, are they a threaded body shock? Also thought you went with Bilsteins. Are those threaded body shocks?

Depending on your lower a-arms & if the shock is a threaded body shock, you might be able to get away with just some coils and mounting brackets.

If you do not have my lowers, than you will need those and the front coilovers if you do not have a threaded body shock. The rear uses a different offset t-arm and we use a smaller ID coil spring. 2.25" vs 2.5". The arm is also cut out for additional coil clearance.

We also offer 2 different types of front shocks. 1 shock package will slam the car BUT you loose suspension travel. The other shock is longer and good for about a 1.5" drop. Spring rates are base lined but we can go as low as 200 lbs & up to 2500 lbs. Rear spring rates can also be modified and go as low as 150 lbs & up to 1200 lbs.
Old 01-27-2011, 02:56 PM
HamadUP
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Do you have any special discount for the forum members regarding front and rear coil-overs? , what is the widest wheel/tire combo I can get into the rear when using your coil-over kits with the offset trailing arms? , hopefully I can go as wide as a 295 tires on a 9.5 in rims.
Old 01-28-2011, 09:07 AM
Van Steel

Originally Posted by HamadUP
Do you have any special discount for the forum members regarding front and rear coil-overs? , what is the widest wheel/tire combo I can get into the rear when using your coil-over kits with the offset trailing arms? , hopefully I can go as wide as a 295 tires on a 9.5 in rims.
Forum members get 10% off on just about everything. Give me a call and I can e-mail you an estimate.

Tire combo is going to depend on a couple of things. Generally a 285 is the widest but a 295 may be possible. Got flares? What size is the rim? (15,16,18,20") I need to look up what the sectional width of the tire is going to be on that specific rim.

I would also recommend our new offset(shortened) rear bar with the coilovers.

Dan
Old 01-28-2011, 09:35 AM
panic
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Panic,
Did you just do my upper arms? I don't think you got the lowers.

As for the QA1's, are they a threaded body shock? Also thought you went with Bilsteins. Are those threaded body shocks?

Depending on your lower a-arms & if the shock is a threaded body shock, you might be able to get away with just some coils and mounting brackets.

If you do not have my lowers, than you will need those and the front coilovers if you do not have a threaded body shock. The rear uses a different offset t-arm and we use a smaller ID coil spring. 2.25" vs 2.5". The arm is also cut out for additional coil clearance.

We also offer 2 different types of front shocks. 1 shock package will slam the car BUT you loose suspension travel. The other shock is longer and good for about a 1.5" drop. Spring rates are base lined but we can go as low as 200 lbs & up to 2500 lbs. Rear spring rates can also be modified and go as low as 150 lbs & up to 1200 lbs.
Dan, I will have to check all those things on the car...I swapped in all those mods a few years ago and I need to visually refresh the details.
Old 01-28-2011, 10:02 AM
HamadUP
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Forum members get 10% off on just about everything. Give me a call and I can e-mail you an estimate.

Tire combo is going to depend on a couple of things. Generally a 285 is the widest but a 295 may be possible. Got flares? What size is the rim? (15,16,18,20") I need to look up what the sectional width of the tire is going to be on that specific rim.

I would also recommend our new offset(shortened) rear bar with the coilovers.

Dan
the wheels that I have right now are 18 in. X 9.5 in. with a 5 in. back space (Boss 338) and the tires has a section width of 11.6, will that clear the frame with no serious mods?
Old 01-28-2011, 11:25 AM
Van Steel

The wheel well is only 11" wide. So I would say no. For a 295 series tire, you need an 10-11.5" wheel. From my book a 295/35/18 on a 10" rim will have a sectional width of 11.9". The sectional with will increase on a smaller rim. A 275/40/18 would be the best option with your currect rim for overall height and sectional width.

Get notified of new replies

To Shark Bite coilovers versus monoleaf?

Quick Reply: Shark Bite coilovers versus monoleaf?