C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TDC on SBC 400 and setting to #1 cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 08:44 AM
my75baby
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TDC on SBC 400 and setting to #1 cylinder

Hello all, I need to figure out what TDC on my SBC 400. I changed the timing chain and have the distributor out and need to put it back in on #1 cylinder. I lined up the chain gears dot to dot (6 oclock on Cam gear and 12 oclock on Crank gear) I think this would make the engine fire on #6 but not sure? What position are the valves on #1 at TDC. I think they both should be closed (lifters sunk in motor), but is this the only time the valves are this way or could the valves be closed at some other time in the rotation? (other then ready to fire on #1?) the whole motor is pretty much open now I just want to set it right before I put it back together.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:44 AM
larrywalk
Melting Slicks

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

If you are at dot-to-dot, #6 should be at the firing position, but check it - here's the easy way: Just look at the #3 intake valve spring - it the #3 intake valve is open, the engine is at #1 firing; it it's not, it's at #6 firing!

About your other question... At TDC, the valves at #1 will be closed at firing, or very slightly open at overlap, or maybe not open at all if using hydraulic lifters and the cam has little overlap. This method of determining #1 firing is not very reliable compared to the first method.

Lastly, are you at TDC? Early harmonic dampers (prior to ~69) had the TDC line located in line with the crank keyway. Later dampers had the TDC line 10 degrees counterclockwise from the keyway. This fact makes it easy to check for the oft maligned slipped HD! In any event, the crank keyway is always where the #1 crankshaft journal is located for SBCs.

Old 02-08-2011, 08:06 PM
my75baby
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Larry, one more question, if I line up timing gears dot to dot, can I just rotate the crank until cam gear dot is at 12 oclock and crank gear is at 12 oclock and put a straight edge across to make sure of perfect alignment, wouldn't that set up for #1 firing order so that I can just drop the distributor in at #1? doesn't that have to be at #1 firing at TDC? (I could also make sure that #3 intake valve is open and #1 valves are closed. This makes sense to me, but then again I can convince myself of anything, I am a pushover that way.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:17 PM
Manuel Azevedo
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by my75baby
Thanks Larry, one more question, if I line up timing gears dot to dot, can I just rotate the crank until cam gear dot is at 12 oclock and crank gear is at 12 oclock and put a straight edge across to make sure of perfect alignment, wouldn't that set up for #1 firing order so that I can just drop the distributor in at #1? doesn't that have to be at #1 firing at TDC? (I could also make sure that #3 intake valve is open and #1 valves are closed. This makes sense to me, but then again I can convince myself of anything, I am a pushover that way.

Yes both dot's at 12 oclock is fireing at #1 and you can put the dist. in with the rotor at number one.
Old 02-09-2011, 03:08 PM
larrywalk
Melting Slicks

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Manuel Azevedo
Yes both dot's at 12 oclock is fireing at #1 and you can put the dist. in with the rotor at number one.
For each turn of the crank to TDC, the timing dots will alternate dot-to-dot (6 to 12 o'clock), and both dots at 12 o'clock. (I prefer doing dot-to-dot because it's easier to see the alignment since they're closer together.)

And, if you're a bit lazy like I am, if you find that you're at #6 firing and you don't want to turn the crank another whole turn, you can just as easily stab the distributor by pointing the rotor to the #6 spark plug wire post. (Don't forget that the rotor turns an additional ~30 degrees clockwise after it first contacts the cam gear.)

Summary: At Top Dead Center, either #1 or #6 is at firing...
#1 is at firing if the #3 intake valve is open
#6 is at firing if the #2 intake valve is open

After you've got the distributor installed, you can time the engine by hooking the timing light to either #1, OR #6, whichever is more convenient!

Get notified of new replies

To TDC on SBC 400 and setting to #1 cylinder

Quick Reply: TDC on SBC 400 and setting to #1 cylinder