C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ignition switch tumbler doesn't rotate to all positions malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 04:04 PM
Petes75Vette
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Ignition switch tumbler doesn't rotate to all positions malfunction

I had a thread here looking for help getting my stuck key out of the ignition. The original plan was to remove the ignition cylinder and replace it, but, after some very helpful tips by Jim Shea and other members, I came to find out that the ignition cylinder was not the culprit of my issue.

Below is how I repaired it, and hopefully this can help others in the future.

The problem:

My key would not come out of the ignition. It would turn clockwise and turn the engine on, and turn counter clock wise to turn the engine off, but wouldn't make it all the way back to the OFF-LOCK, which is where it needs to be to get the key out. Below is Jim Shea's explanation.

Originally Posted by Jim Shea
Now, there are five positions for your ignition key, lock cylinder, and ignition switch. First disconnect your battery. Now starting at the most clockwise position of your ignition key and coming back CCW, you have the following:

START (the key should spring return out of START), RUN, OFF, OFF-LOCK, and ACCESSORY (you will need to push in on the key and cylinder to get from OFF-LOCK to ACCESSORY). Your ignition key can only be removed from the lock cylinder in the OFF-LOCK position.
The Issue:

The issue at hand is best described by Jim Shea. I'm quoting him from my original thread.

On a 1975 Corvette there is a cable coming from the transmission (either manual or automatic) that attaches to the steering column. Open the hood and look down under the brake master cylinder. You should see the very end of the steering column extending through the front of dash panel. There should be a lever sticking out of the column jacket that is pointing toward the engine.

When you shift into PARK (automatic) or REVERSE (manual trans) the cable should push that lever all the way to the UP position. (If you were able to look down your steering column from the driver seat, the
lever would be roughly at the 1 o'clock position when full UP.)

If the lever is in any other position than full UP, you will only be able to turn your ignition key from START, RUN, and OFF. You will not be able to rotate to OFF-LOCK or ACCESSORY and remove your key.

If the cable is not attached or the lever and cable is stuck, you need to get that lever to the 1 o'clock position in order for the ignition key to be able to rotate further to the OFF-LOCK and ACCESSORY positions.

A lot of people disconnect the cable from column lever and permanently wire the lever in the full UP position. Maybe the lever has shifted, the cable is corroded and frozen, the cable has become disconnected, etc.
The Revelation:

I took Jim's advice and looked under my hood, drivers side, just behind and down of the valve cover. The lever in question is located there, and if you're in the drivers seat looking through the dash at the lever, mine would only go as high as 3 o'clock (but needed to go to 1). I tried to move it by hand and it wouldn't budge. I looked under the car to find the cable's other end attached there, and sure enough, it was bent. Thus, when the car was put in park, rather than move the cable up and the lever into 1, the cable basically bent on itself into a "u" shape.

Name:  DSC04266.jpg
Views: 11852
Size:  40.3 KB

Name:  DSC04271.jpg
Views: 12572
Size:  62.0 KB

The Fix:

Disconnecting the cable at the lever proved to be the fix. I could then move the lever up, and remove the key. Rather than leave it disconnected, I ordered a replacement cable (Corvette Central part#533030, cost $39.95). Replacing it was fairly simple. Put the car on jack stands, removed the retaining pins under the car and near the lever, and pulled the cable through the holes and out (takes some muscle as the cable is hard). Then put the new cable in, retaining clips, and tested...and she works.

Name:  DSC04418.jpg
Views: 11967
Size:  87.9 KB

Name:  DSC04419.jpg
Views: 11674
Size:  58.8 KB

Big thanks to all who helped provide the original data on the solution and parts needed. Original thread is here: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...e-on-75-a.html

Name:  DSC04416.jpg
Views: 11727
Size:  48.8 KB

(The car in question is a 1975 Corvette, Non-Telescopic Steering, Non-Power Steering).
The following 6 users liked this post by Petes75Vette:
deepsealillie (05-30-2019), EricBing (03-14-2016), Mincho476 (09-24-2023), rlk105mm (05-04-2023), Towrykw (07-09-2021), Volfandt (08-15-2021) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-05-2011, 05:49 PM
V4motorsports
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts

Great write up! My key does the same thing, now I know what to check.

Thanks

Russ
Old 03-05-2011, 07:59 PM
kdf1986
Safety Car

Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

Nice write up with photos to show what was done.

thanks
kdf
The following users liked this post:
Aussie C3 (11-16-2020)
Old 03-06-2011, 12:37 AM
OMF
Melting Slicks

Received 343 Likes on 250 Posts

Isn't it great that these guys with all the experience love to share their knowledge with us....

I say a big two
Old 02-01-2013, 10:36 PM
BowTieBlood
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great thread! I know it's 'old' now, but I just purchased a car with the key stuck in the ignition and this thread came up in a search and solved my problem. I'm sure it'll be a good source for others down the road.

Name:  2TransStrLckCableOldBottom_zps58eea730.jpg
Views: 11589
Size:  75.8 KB

Name:  3TransStrLckCableOldNew_zps78786aab.jpg
Views: 11440
Size:  62.7 KB
Old 02-01-2013, 11:05 PM
Oldguard 7
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Great info.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:26 AM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

We should make this into a "sticky" so it can be easily referenced in the future. This problem with 1969 through 1976 C3s gets written up very frequently.

Most owners are not familiar with the General Motors Steering Column/Transmission Shift Interlock System. It usually comes as a surprise that there is a lower lever on the steering column that is connected to the transmission and interconnected to the ignition lock cylinder and key.

Excellent pictures and explanation.

Jim Shea
The following 2 users liked this post by Jim Shea:
Aussie C3 (11-16-2020), Carpenter 81 (11-01-2022)
Old 02-08-2013, 11:24 PM
Dano C3
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

We should make this into a "sticky" so it can be easily referenced in the future. This problem with 1969 through 1976 C3s gets written up very frequently.

Most owners are not familiar with the General Motors Steering Column/Transmission Shift Interlock System. It usually comes as a surprise that there is a lower lever on the steering column that is connected to the transmission and interconnected to the ignition lock cylinder and key.

Excellent pictures and explanation.

Jim Shea
AWESOME thread! My 72 is currently sleeping in its winter cocoon and still has this very problem. I look forward to getting out into the garage tomorrow and hopefully fixing this problem. I too am one of the folks who had no idea about this system.

Many thanks guys, like always you're willing to help with volumes of tribal knowledge.

DC
Old 02-11-2013, 12:07 AM
bluedawg
Safety Car

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

Awesome c3 tech.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:08 PM
Clay master
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I checked the cable and it is in perfect condition. What is step 2?
Thanks clayton
The following users liked this post:
Dave81 (03-26-2019)
Old 04-06-2013, 09:47 PM
bdchase73
Instructor

Would this cause a manual not to shift into gear? I just got it all back together an had the key problem as well (with a new cable to boot). I have not gotten under the car to see if this is the issue, but I cannot get it into gear (except reverse). Only know this as today was the first day this car has run since 86.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:25 PM
beautimus
Advanced

also it might be a good thing to mention that the end of the cable with the rubber seal on it goes on the steering column end. just did this on mine and realized that I put it on upside down, and I had to redo it.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:42 PM
BowTieBlood
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by beautimus
also it might be a good thing to mention that the end of the cable with the rubber seal on it goes on the steering column end. just did this on mine and realized that I put it on upside down, and I had to redo it.
You know, this has me worried that I may have put mine on backwards given that my broken one was the opposite way. My car is not here at the moment for me to check, but what are the consequences of installing it the opposite direction?
Old 05-09-2013, 12:35 AM
beautimus
Advanced

Originally Posted by BowTieBlood
You know, this has me worried that I may have put mine on backwards given that my broken one was the opposite way. My car is not here at the moment for me to check, but what are the consequences of installing it the opposite direction?
I don't know , but I thought it would be nice to know which way it is supposed to go, just in case .....
Old 05-15-2013, 03:09 PM
genuine1980
Burning Brakes

Mine is missing all together. Where does it connect to on a manual trans. Pics would be most helpful, so I can see how this get's from trans to the lever.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:57 AM
Buzzardz_vette
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

My key has been stuck for the last few months. Now I have something to check tonight. I know the cable was removed by the PO.
Old 05-24-2013, 08:14 AM
gofor28off
Intermediate

Originally Posted by genuine1980
Mine is missing all together. Where does it connect to on a manual trans. Pics would be most helpful, so I can see how this get's from trans to the lever.
Worth asking if there is any reason not to just disconnect the cable and leave the lever in the up position? Any thoughts on this? Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To Ignition switch tumbler doesn't rotate to all positions malfunction

Old 05-25-2013, 08:14 PM
Buzzardz_vette
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by Buzzardz_vette
My key has been stuck for the last few months. Now I have something to check tonight. I know the cable was removed by the PO.
Thanks for the tip. My lever did move down about a 1/2" and that was enough to lock out the key. Saves me from taking it down to someone to get the key out. Now I just have to wire the lever up so it doesn't move again.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:05 PM
Higgy76
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Went and checked my 76. Almost made me giddy. Lower cable end not even connected.
Thanks for the knowledge.

Higgy09
Old 07-03-2013, 10:06 PM
CrazyJoe '76 L-82
5th Gear

My key had been stuck since I purchased the car 8 years until I read this post. It took me about 15 minutes to disconnect the cable and pull the lever up. Problem solved!

Quick Reply: Ignition switch tumbler doesn't rotate to all positions malfunction