C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cooling fan angles.....

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 06:29 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Cooling fan angles.....

so the stock fans typically aim back over then engine square on....

even the stock later model electric fans....

when I mounted my Dual Spals....I did them parallel to the radiator, IE, aiming down to below the harmonica balancer....

SO, anyone with any direct first hand experiences in aiming the fans straight back over the engine as opposed to down??

what did you notice in airflow, cabin heat, a/c effectiveness??

Old 06-22-2011, 08:05 AM
71rdster
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 06-22-2011, 10:16 AM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Cooling air dont care where its aimed after it goes through the radiator. Not going to make a difference in cooling or engine compartment temperatures.
Old 06-22-2011, 12:57 PM
Imo Apita
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wombvette
Cooling air dont care where its aimed after it goes through the radiator. Not going to make a difference in cooling or engine compartment temperatures.
My common sense doesnt agree. Regular fan cooling air flows back over the engine/ exhaust to eventually exit either near the windshield or the sidevents. I would assume it pretty much a whirlwind under there. With electric fans blowing sown at am angle I don't think you hbw as much disturbance/ flow in the rest of the compartment hence higher temperatures.
Old 06-22-2011, 02:39 PM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Whichever way the fans are aimed, air exhausting from the rear of the radiator into the engine compartment exits out downward beneath the body and/or out of the side vents. The rear of hood should be sealed, as there is normally higher pressure at the base of the windshield than in the engine compartment once you get moving. And, at speed it's doubtful the fan(s) are moving as much air as is forward motion anyway. Unless you're looking into fully ducting air into and out of the rad I wouldn't spend too much time over-thinking this one.

Last edited by TheSkunkWorks; 06-22-2011 at 02:41 PM.
Old 06-22-2011, 03:24 PM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by wombvette

Yeah, I'm goona have to go ahead and disagree with there, I installed a Lincoln MKVIII fan in my 1980 'vette, because of the serpentine belt setup that I installed. (water pump spins in the wrong direction, don't ya know....) It did a terrific job at keeping the coolant temp within bounds, never went over 200*. (when it was working properly, but that's a different story for a different time.....) However, I did notice that my plug wires were being heated up enough to go limp and burn against the headers. The fan was blowing air down under the engine instead of back across it.

Scott
Old 06-22-2011, 03:59 PM
Imo Apita
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I assume ( which is always a dangerous thing) that it is easier to mount the fans parallel to the radiator and then mod a shroud then trying to mount them vertical in some kind of frame.
Old 06-22-2011, 04:53 PM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Ya know, I never really thought about this before, and it may just be theoretical BS, but I would think that it would be beneficial to "cooling power", for lack of a better term, if there was a little bit of space between the fans and radiator, anyway. Any fan will move the most air out at the tips of the blades, where the relative speed of the fan blade is greater. If the fan is too close to the radiator, there may be a "dead space" directly in front of the center of the fan. Several inches of clearance would probably get rid of this effect, if it even exists in the first place. Any experts out there care to comment?

Scott
Old 06-22-2011, 05:18 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by Imo Apita
I assume ( which is always a dangerous thing) that it is easier to mount the fans parallel to the radiator and then mod a shroud then trying to mount them vertical in some kind of frame.
Yes, it is easier, and so when mounting my dual spals, I put two struts across the top/bot of the rad mounts tied the fans to that, and put simple aluminum shrouds to the radiator tank edge..held in place by tension in the bent aluminum....

they work ok, just wonder about overall underhood temps after some years now, and so the a/c is not the best....if I aimed the fans back over the engine/headers/compartment, I would THINK the a/c would cool better....

not concerned with rear hood gaskets, as the cowl induction has been eliminated entirely...it's a rag top, enough with the LEAKS already....

so HVAC is on constant recirc....

Get notified of new replies

To Cooling fan angles.....

Quick Reply: Cooling fan angles.....