C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Project Frankenstein's Vette

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 08:43 PM
Bromleys Corvettes
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome to phx if you need anything my shop is in Chandler. Fun project you have its cool you can do anything you want and hot rod it with no worries of hurting its value. Might as well have fun with it
Old 04-05-2014, 02:15 PM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts

Looking forward to seeing your progress.
Old 01-25-2015, 12:23 PM
Phalanx_vette
Advanced

Default Quick update

Don't really have time for much of a write up, but here's some picks and some WTF moments on my Interior disassembly.

I Took off the wiper door, and as you can see in the photo below. Holy Overspray batman! It's the same all over the car. It'll be great fun to clean up.
I plan on doing the wiper door delete hood. (all vacuum delete actually)

OVERSPRAYYYY!!!

Lots of cut wiring. Just going to rewire everything. everything.

Wiring

Sooo... In this pic you can see that barn door handle. The "builder" of this car, We'll call him Jim Bob, had the seat belt wrapped around that instead of what looks like the proper channel next to it on the lower left of the door. It's the same on the passenger side. Except the seat belt channel isn't there. Anyone know how to get a hold of one of those?

Seat belt mess.

And then 'ol Jim strikes again here. Have no idea why this plate is there. Doesn't really matter I guess since it's beneath the carpet.

Jim Bob plate.

Also does anyone have a good link or can help me with removing the chrome trim around the windshield and the T-Top? I really don't want to mess any of that stuff up, as I want to re-use as much of the trim as I can.
Old 01-25-2015, 02:08 PM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

Received 572 Likes on 457 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I've seen less overspray on a Washington D.C Taxi ! Earl Shieb would be appalled, you have your work cut out.
Old 01-25-2015, 04:15 PM
Phalanx_vette
Advanced

Originally Posted by 7t9l82
I've seen less overspray on a Washington D.C Taxi ! Earl Shieb would be appalled, you have your work cut out.
Yeah it'll be a blast! ( <- was that a pun?)

It's going to be a lot of elbow grease, but that's what makes us appreciate our cars more when complete right?
Old 01-25-2015, 04:26 PM
chevygod
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Joining in as I will be starting work on my own "Mongrel". Good luck with the project.
Tom
Old 01-25-2015, 05:27 PM
Ranger24
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Phalanx_vette
Yeah it'll be a blast! ( <- was that a pun?)

It's going to be a lot of elbow grease, but that's what makes us appreciate our cars more when complete right?
Jim Bob should not handle a spray gun. As I disassembled my car there was paint where I didn't think you get it...ever. Like you my wipers were sprayed over and will be coming out at some point. I'll have to take a photo to share.

Good luck with your build.
Old 01-25-2015, 05:52 PM
Phalanx_vette
Advanced

Originally Posted by Ranger24
Jim Bob should not handle a spray gun. As I disassembled my car there was paint where I didn't think you get it...ever. Like you my wipers were sprayed over and will be coming out at some point. I'll have to take a photo to share.

Good luck with your build.
I haven't decided what to do with the wipers yet.I may just replace them if I can snag a pair cheap enough. The doors are the worst. There's so much over spray inside the doors that my locking mechs don't turn. The rods are all gunned up.
Old 02-01-2015, 03:03 PM
Phalanx_vette
Advanced

Quick update.
Picked up a '98 LS1 over the weekend with a standalone harness.
Too good of a deal to pass up. I'll be transforming it into an LS6 (243 heads/LS6 intake etc...).
Bottom end doesn't really need rebuilt, but I'm going to give a refresh anyway.
Old 06-23-2015, 10:57 PM
Phalanx_vette
Advanced

Default oops!

So I had an accident over the weekend.
Few friends and I had a couple beers and the next thing we know the old engine and trans just fell out of the corvette.

Easy pickin.

Can't work without the go fuel.
Old 06-23-2015, 11:19 PM
Phalanx_vette
Advanced

Doing some research on what I pulled out.

casting #3999289<br/>2 bolt main 72-78 car & truck.

Date code I assume. So Nov 20, 1972?

Case casting 3885010<br/>Identified as a 66-67

Tail housing 3978764<br/>Identified as 70-74 pass speedo, 32 spline output.

Side cover 3952648<br/>Identified as 70-74 Short boss/bolt on w/TCS

So I already knew I had truck heads from when I first pulled the valve covers to clean and inspect the top end at the beginning of this thread. Years ago. really? years ago? yep. That's how much progress I've made.
I'll have to clean it up and find the rest of the codes to identify the block further. The guy I bought it from also had a build sheet for when it was rebuilt, guess I can hunt that down and take a look at it. LOL.

Trans is a bit more confusing. Seems someone took an older Muncie case and rebuilt it with the later stronger stuff. I counted the output shaft splines and it is indeed 32 spline.

The only way to finish identifying the trans is to disconnect from the engine, and I'd really prefer to sell them as a package still connected.
On that note, anyone interested?

While we're on the subject of updates. I sold that LS1 to a buddy, or rather traded that LS1 for a T-56 with ~60k miles on it.
I did that because T-56's are becoming insanely hard to find for a reasonable price, and because I picked up a 2006 50k mi. 6.0 LQ9 complete. Very complete I might add. For a measly $1100. I couldn't pass that deal up. I picked it up hours after it was posted on CL and the guy said his phone hadn't stopped ringing since he posted it.

Old 09-18-2015, 07:59 PM
Phalanx_vette
Advanced

I'm sure I have all of 1.4 followers for this thread at this point, but it's all good.

I've been spending a lot of time on LS1tech lately getting info, and sorting out my engine situation.
I picked up an LSA supercharger to go on top of that 6.0, and some of the miscellaneous parts needed for that.

I don't have much progress to report, but I am still plugging away. Researching mostly.
Now that the Phoenix hell months are nearly over, and we are starting to get some reasonable temps, I'll be able to spend a little more time in the garage and get some work done.
Old 09-19-2015, 05:55 PM
Gale Banks 80'
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by Phalanx_vette
I'm sure I have all of 1.4 followers for this thread at this point, but it's all good.

I've been spending a lot of time on LS1tech lately getting info, and sorting out my engine situation.
I picked up an LSA supercharger to go on top of that 6.0, and some of the miscellaneous parts needed for that.

I don't have much progress to report, but I am still plugging away. Researching mostly.
Now that the Phoenix hell months are nearly over, and we are starting to get some reasonable temps, I'll be able to spend a little more time in the garage and get some work done.
The Compression on a LQ9 might be a bit high for the Supercharger but with Supreme Gas it might Fly. The LQ4 uses different pistons and lower Compression but now we are completely tearing apart the Engine. Before installing I would at least replace the Knock Sensors as they fill with water and rust away. On the Gen III they are under the Intake. Only use GM parts as others are known to set off check engine lights. I just did this Job on my LQ4 it took 6 hours. You should be able to do it in 1/2 that out of the vehicle. Maybe in Phoenix they last forever with no moisture ?
Old 09-19-2015, 10:09 PM
Phalanx_vette
Advanced

The compression on the LQ9 is a non issue for a tvs 1900. It's all in the tune. My neighbor down the street is running 12:1 compression and 20+ pounds of boost without issue on a 6.2 in a 68 firebird. That thing is nuts by the way. I dont have forged internals, but I shouldn't see more than 10 psi, so my ~10:1 will be fine. Also the heads are lingenfelter cnc'd 317s. So my compression may be even lower since the chamber has been milled.

I already have the knock sensors out, and they look good. I almost always try to stay with the general on all my stock type parts. They're plentiful, and last.
Old 09-19-2015, 10:25 PM
havesometo
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 58 Posts

Quick Reply: Project Frankenstein's Vette