C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

73 starter rattling issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2015, 04:00 PM
rhoadsboy815
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 73 starter rattling issues

Hi!

So I've recently switched out a bad starter in my vette. We got it installed and all shimmed up and it started great two or three times. Came back the next day and turning the key only resulted in a rattling noise and the car not starting.

The starter gear was also stuck forward into the flywheel. I assumed we shimmed it too tight so I took a shim out annnnnddddd nothing changed. I had my brother check underneath while I turned the key and the flywheel is starting to turn but that's about it.

I hooked the battery into a charger and tried starting it because I was wondering if the battery was too low but that didn't help either.

What's this sound like to you?
Old 11-07-2015, 04:40 PM
toobroketoretire
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by rhoadsboy815
Hi!

So I've recently switched out a bad starter in my vette. We got it installed and all shimmed up and it started great two or three times. Came back the next day and turning the key only resulted in a rattling noise and the car not starting.

The starter gear was also stuck forward into the flywheel. I assumed we shimmed it too tight so I took a shim out annnnnddddd nothing changed. I had my brother check underneath while I turned the key and the flywheel is starting to turn but that's about it.

I hooked the battery into a charger and tried starting it because I was wondering if the battery was too low but that didn't help either.

What's this sound like to you?

A rapidly clicking starter solenoid is a sure sign of a low battery and if your Bendix was jammed into the flywheel teeth you need to add another shim............not remove shims. The more shims you add the more the starter is moved away from the ring gear.
Old 11-07-2015, 04:47 PM
74modified
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Yes, shims move the starter away from the flywheel so that it is less likely to jam. It would also help to know what was wrong with the old starter, the flywheel could be in bad shape as well. It is hard to make exact judgment over the internet, so tread lightly until you work it out.

Get notified of new replies

To 73 starter rattling issues

Quick Reply: 73 starter rattling issues