C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Royal Purple 10w-30 SL Rated?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 12:26 AM
Birdman
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Royal Purple 10w-30 SL Rated?

I read the sticky, and have been doing lots of reading on here and elsewhere...

But it seems that the SL rated oil is borderline ok to use in our flat tappet engines? Is this right or wrong?

I still got the car up in the air and just added the oil...but have no problem with draining it again and putting in an oil that that has more ZDDP additive.

It is also a synthetic oil...which I heard is bad in our older engines, due to it's more solvent nature, and our worn engines..should I be worried? Is it too late to switch back to regular? I haven't started the car back up..

Thanks!
Old 04-25-2011, 02:39 AM
RC81
Pro

Received 163 Likes on 92 Posts

I have been running RP 5w-30 in my 81 with a rebuilt engine and Crower cam for a long time with no problems or leaks.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:58 AM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Received 740 Likes on 617 Posts

Synthetic oil is not bad for older engines! The myth that synthetics can cause links is also not true-engines with weak gaskets or with current leaks can get worse with synthetics simply because a synthetic oil has molecules that are all the same size which squeak past a bad or weak gasket where conventional oils have molecules of all different sizes. As long as the synthetic has adequate Zddp you will be fine. Hope that helps!
Old 04-25-2011, 07:25 AM
Indiancreek
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I second that.

I think some of those rumors come from some mechanics. There is one near here, who makes those statments. He runs a service station. Therefore does many oil changes. He's been in town for a long time, and has a good following.

He has gone so far as to tell folks that synthetic is bad for older engines, and it cannot mix with original oil. That once you've gone synthetic, you can't go back.

People believe this guy since he has experience.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:29 AM
Birdman
Safety Car

Alright, so I should be fine with "only" 1000ppm of ZDDP?
Old 04-25-2011, 09:38 AM
63mako
Race Director

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

You are right. Borderline. Probably fine with a factory ramp cam that is broken in.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:43 AM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Received 740 Likes on 617 Posts

I would shoot for 1,200 zddp or higher to be safe! But probably ok as long as you do not put many miles on the engine between oil changes.
Old 04-25-2011, 12:32 PM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

FWIW, there are readily available ZDDP additives which make finding the "right" oil somewhat of a moot point.
Old 04-25-2011, 12:38 PM
Birdman
Safety Car

Originally Posted by TheSkunkWorks
FWIW, there are readily available ZDDP additives which make finding the "right" oil somewhat of a moot point.
I know, but from all the reading I did last night, it is frowned upon to use them..
Old 04-25-2011, 12:50 PM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

I apparently haven't read what you've read, nor seen who it is that frowns on using them.
Old 04-25-2011, 02:49 PM
Birdman
Safety Car

@ SW: I read many many threads through searching on here..maybe no one reputable said it, but there were a handful who all said the same thing.

Originally Posted by Birdman @ Royal Purple
Car:

1968 Corvette Convertible
327 (Heads and block are stock)
4 speed manual

I just dumped 3 bottles of your Royal Purple Synthetic 10w-30 into the engine, with a filter change...but realized after that I forgot to check its ZDDP ratings. It seems that nothing is said about that version's ratings, and it has "SL" specifications on the bottles...which means lower ZDDP. Do I need to go get new oil that has known higher levels of ZDDP for my old flat tappet cam, before I start the engine again?
Originally Posted by Royal Purple
Good Morning Mr. Bird,

If the engine is a stock build, the ZDDP level in Royal Purple SAE 10W-30 (part #01130, quart bottle) should be sufficient. If you have a more aggressive camshaft installed and/or you have the L79 engine (350hp, 327), Royal Purple SAE 10W-40 (part #01140, quart bottle) would be a better choice because it contains more anti-wear additive.

If the engine and seals/gaskets are in good shape, there is no issue. However, if the seals and gaskets are marginal and engine deposits are actually sealing the engine, the engine may start showing seepage or minor leaks. Other than that, there are no risks to switching to a high quality synthetic engine oil of which we are aware.

Thanks for choosing Royal Purple and have a great day!
Originally Posted by Birdman @ Royal Purple
Thanks for the quick reply.

As far as I can tell, it is the 300hp version. However, I've been told by others, that it sounds like it has a slightly more aggressive cam. It may very well be the 350hp L79 (or the previous owner changed cams).

Additionally, I have installed the following:

Weiand Stealth Air Strike Intake Manifold
Barry Grant Road Demon Carb
Switched from stock points to Summit HEI distributor, and larger wires, and bigger gapped spark plugs (.045)
Hooker Side-mount Super Competition Headers and Sidepipes with Spiral Tube Baffles
Polished Aluminum Water Pump
Premium Fuel

With these additions, would you recommend I step up the ZDDP content by switching?

I noticed on the short test drive today, that the engine was running a bit hotter than the other day..is that because I went down to a 10w-30? What's the risk of running 30 instead of 40?
Old 04-26-2011, 03:12 PM
540 RAT
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Birdman
Alright, so I should be fine with "only" 1000ppm of ZDDP?
Keep in mind that, that API Service Spec of 1,000 ppm zinc/phos for SL oil, is the MAX it can have in it. It does NOT mean that, that is how much is actually in it. I sent a sample of 5W30 Royal Purple SL oil to Blackstone Labs maybe 3 years ago. The report I got back listed:

864 ppm zinc

737 ppm phos

So, you may well be getting less zinc/phos than the bare minimum of 1,000 that you are looking for. But with that said, RP's proprietary "Synerlec" anti-wear/extreme pressure additive, is probably still enough to keep you out of trouble. But I don't have any hard data to back that up. Though RC81's trouble free experience would certainly seem to support that assumption.

Oh, and Birdman is absolutely correct. Oil companies frown on ANY additive being mixed in with their oil. They go to a lot of effort to perfect their oil's additive package. This is all complex chemistry developed by chemical engineers. And if/when someone pours in something in addition to theirs, it can mess up that additives overall package, possibly making it worse than it was to begin with. A word to the wise is to only put in your engine what comes out of the bottle. If you don't like a particular oil the way it comes, then select an oil that you do like. There are plenty of oil options out there, for anything you need.

Last edited by 540 RAT; 04-26-2011 at 03:18 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Royal Purple 10w-30 SL Rated?

Quick Reply: Royal Purple 10w-30 SL Rated?