C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

windshield removal

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2002, 10:39 PM
staffselect911
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default windshield removal

Remember me im the one that went from Hawaii to NY in the middle of winter.
My baby is still in the drive way and i think the wife and kids are still ok. I have been told that to remove my windshield from my 81 vett a special tool is required is that true or can i do it myself?
Old 04-22-2002, 10:26 AM
kgraumann
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: windshield removal (staffselect911)

Are you wanting to replace it with a new one?

If you are just removing a perfectly good windshield and have never removed a windshield before, I would not try it on a Corvette. Windshields can be removed and replaced, but they are prone to breaking without warning.

I know there are other threads with this same topic, so do a search and see what you can find on previous postings.
Old 04-22-2002, 11:10 AM
ddecart
Team Owner

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
SPARTAN
CI 3-4-5-6-8-9-10 Vet
CI-9 AutoX Winner
CI-3 Go Kart Champ
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Default Re: windshield removal (staffselect911)

There are a number of ways to remove a windshield. First off, I can't recall if they used butyl still in '78 or if they had switched to urethane. That matters with the mess it'll make.

Onf of the most complex parts of removing the windshield is removing the trim around it. Do that without breaking the glass and you're off to a good start.

There are several different tools that are used to cut class out. A pull knife is probably the most common. It's an angled blade attached to a short cable and a handle. It gets inserted throught the adhesive that's holding the glass in so the blade puntcures compeltely through it. Then it's pulled along the perimiter of the glass. There are electrical vibrating versions of the tool too. Easier to pull then a pull knife.

Then there are 'equalizers' that are sort of like an electric knife with a smooth flat tongue that oscillates. They're used to cut the adhesive from the inside of the car.

It isn't that difficult to get the glass out. It takes much longer to clean and prep the area for the re-install than for the removal. That said, for me this falls into the "eaisier to pay someone to do it right" category. Let someone that does it 4 or 5 times per day handle that part.

Good luck!
Dave

Get notified of new replies

To windshield removal

Quick Reply: windshield removal