C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

74 Coupe-gas tank repair or replace?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 11:01 AM
patdrums
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 74 Coupe-gas tank repair or replace?

It's been awhile since I posted since my project has slowed to a crawl. I'm getting back on it and just found yesterday that after sitting for 4 years, the gas tank is rusted out. At this point there's just a small hole but I can assume that there are some more thin spots that could go at any time.

My wife now works for a GM dealer and their senior repair tech who specializes in this stuff has offered to fix it for me if I can bring it to him. I'm getting ready to drop the tank in the next day or so and am flirting with just replacing it instead of going thru the hassle of having it repaired. Never dropped the tank before and would like to get it out without tearing it up too bad in case I do repair it.

Any advice on the merits of both? If I do replace it, is there anywhere I can find a comprehensive list of all the parts I'd need? I don't see the point in keeping the same sending unit if I'm ripping it out anyway. I've Googled a bunch of stuff but am finding conflicting info on parts/procedures and thought someone here might be able to point me in the right direction so that I can collect everything I'll need to get it done without having to stop and order more parts, etc.

Thanks!
Old 05-27-2011, 11:56 AM
Timsride
Burning Brakes

I replaced mine as it was all rusty. The body was off which made it resonably easy. You need to keep the filler neck and the plastic thing that has a ball in it on driver side of tank. It allows fuel vapours out. the new tank should have all the gaskets for filler neck and O-ring for fuel pickup and level plunger. I would also replace rubber insulator as well. There is a plastic protector that the straps weave through that shouldnt need replacing.
Old 05-27-2011, 12:04 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

If your leak is small, have you considered sealing your stock tank?

Old 05-27-2011, 04:56 PM
Schaggy
Instructor

I had no leaks... Then I had it dipped because I was finding a bit of rust in my gas filter... Then I had pinholes everywhere. I'm thinking that if you have one thin spot you probably have more.

I'd just replace it.

Old 05-27-2011, 05:09 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi pd,
If you decide on a new tank take a look at the Quanta Products web- site. They reproduce the tanks and have all the various parts you may want to replace at the same time.
Regards,
Alan
Old 05-27-2011, 09:48 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

I usually replace any leaking tank. The repair cost does not justify the new price vs. the labor to take in and out if there is another problem down the road.

I have them in the forum sale section of the site and with the current sale that ends on Monday you'll get an additional discount.

http://willcoxcorvette.com/advanced_...rds=gas%20tank

Willcox
Old 05-27-2011, 10:29 PM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

Considering the cost of a new tank, even a correct Quanta... this is not a job you want to do again soon. My vote is to replace it. I just did the job on my '73 and it wasn't too difficult, but I did use a lift and had good access.

I also replaced the sending unit with a new one while I had it all out. There are two available, one is real cheap and looks it... the other is more expensive but looks much nicer and most importantly, looks like it will last.

Good luck... GUSTO

Last edited by GUSTO14; 05-29-2011 at 02:15 PM.
Old 05-27-2011, 11:12 PM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Think about this: Which do you here more often:

Wow, I sure am glad that I didn't pay to have that _______ replaced, I really saved a buncha money by just patching up the old one!

Or:

Damn! Damn! Damn! Double damn! I knew I shoulda got a new ________ when I had the chance, instead of trying to patch up the old one!

Scott
Old 05-28-2011, 08:14 AM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

The Willcox price is very reasonable. I would put a new one in. No regrets downstream. Get a new sender but have it tested before installation (its a simple ohm test). When I was doing work on my 1967 several years ago there was a bad batch around that were highly inaccurate. I recall the NCRS people commenting on them. I went Delco (yes they were still available but $$$s) and no regrets.
Old 05-28-2011, 01:57 PM
johnt365
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

It depends largely on how much cash you want to spend. The beauty of these cars is that you can buy anything for them new as long as you have a Benjamin tree in your back yard.

However, if you want to save money and repair it, you can do it yourself. When I bought my car the gas tank was out of the car laying under a tree. On closer inspection, there was a soupy mix of rusty water and fuel and even a dead frog inside. After a soap and water clean up I saw a few pin holes. I decided to use the POR-15 gas tank repair kit.

I put tape on the outside of the tank where the holes were to keep the sealant from leaking out. Then followed the directions washing and drying the tank thoroughly.

That was in 2004. Still no leaks and no gas smell in the shop. $50

just an option if you are handy.
Old 10-12-2011, 02:32 PM
76 sting
Pro

Originally Posted by Willcox Corvette
I usually replace any leaking tank. The repair cost does not justify the new price vs. the labor to take in and out if there is another problem down the road.

I have them in the forum sale section of the site and with the current sale that ends on Monday you'll get an additional discount.

http://willcoxcorvette.com/advanced_...rds=gas%20tank

Willcox
I have a 76, but in need of a 74 becasue I want the bottom feed with no bladder. Do y'all have a kit that will include most everything, tank, sender, vapor thing, straps, rubber pieces for noise etc.

Get notified of new replies

To 74 Coupe-gas tank repair or replace?

Quick Reply: 74 Coupe-gas tank repair or replace?