C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'74 SBC --> BBC Swap. Am I missing anything?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 11:42 PM
Condo_454C3
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default '74 SBC --> BBC Swap. Am I missing anything?

Hey guys. I may be picking up a '74 vette tomorrow. It currently has a 350/4spd setup and I would like to swap a BBC into it. I have a brand new Musi built 468 sitting in my garage that I was going to put into my '73 but that car needs a lot more attention. The '74 is already running and in excellent condition so it's pretty much just a motor swap as opposed to a frame-off resto like the '73. So while I take my time and redo the '73 I want to drive/play with the '74.

What I know needs replacing so far is the following:
Starter
Alternator brackets (does the alternator itself need replacing?)
Power steering brackets
Short shaft water pump (and potentially a pulley)
Intake/exhaust mani's
Front springs/shocks/sway bar (are there any performance coilovers out there for us?)

So, am I missing anything? My 468 already has a distributor, corvette oil pan and fuel pump hooked up so I'm set there. The radiator I will replace as well but that all depends on my water pump dilemma (which is described below).

Lastly, my buddy is willing to donate his electric water pump to my build. That pump is from a 468 motor that was being dropped into a Chevelle...is our pump corvette specific or should any big block water pump work?

Thanks for any advice you guys can provide. I'm a young guy (22) so I'm not quite as experienced with these cars yet like some of you veterans are. I love learning so ANY info you guys can provide would be amazing!

Thanks,
John
Old 06-09-2011, 07:30 AM
Simmo
Pro

If using mechanical water pump use a short one. Long pump requires pulleys that foul on front crossmember. Use 68-74 BB hoses. Hood height can become an issue depending on hood style and manifold.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:04 AM
69MA
Instructor

Don't underestimate what it's going to take to keep the big block cool. Still trying to sort out the swap i made last fall. There are a lot of threads on this subject. Just a heads up.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:41 AM
Condo_454C3
Racer

Originally Posted by Simmo
If using mechanical water pump use a short one. Long pump requires pulleys that foul on front crossmember. Use 68-74 BB hoses. Hood height can become an issue depending on hood style and manifold.
Forgot to mention the car already has a big block hood, sorry about that!

What about the electrical pump that I mentioned in the first post? Are they universal for big blocks or do we need a corvette specific one? That's my main question.

Originally Posted by 69MA
Don't underestimate what it's going to take to keep the big block cool. Still trying to sort out the swap i made last fall. There are a lot of threads on this subject. Just a heads up.
Oh I don't think I'm underestimating it. I just know I can physically bolt up the small block radiator for the time being. If my electrical water pump works I will be getting an aluminum radiator with the dual fans attached.

Problem with searching is that my questions are very specific and I cannot find the answers on the forum.
Old 06-10-2011, 07:08 AM
mar
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You might need a high output alternator...
Old 06-10-2011, 08:25 AM
Timsride
Burning Brakes

The electric water pump will be fine if its a short one. If its a long one you may run into issues as mentioned above. Have you gave any consideraton to rear suspension? Thats going to be a fair amount of power to put on a rear suspension designed to manipulate itself to road contuor.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:07 AM
Condo_454C3
Racer

Originally Posted by mar
You might need a high output alternator...
I've read the alternator is okay but it needs a new bracket. I will keep that in mind though because I would assume I'd need a high output one myself

Originally Posted by Timsride
The electric water pump will be fine if its a short one. If its a long one you may run into issues as mentioned above. Have you gave any consideraton to rear suspension? Thats going to be a fair amount of power to put on a rear suspension designed to manipulate itself to road contuor.
Absolutely! The plan in the long run is to do a solid axle swap. All in all the car will be strictly a track car. I'm just using the 468 until something bigger happens
Old 11-02-2013, 08:42 AM
4 speed
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

not sure on this, but would the clutch Z bar need replaced or modded, isn't the BBC wider than SBC ?

also are the frame mounts same same between BBC and SBC ?
Old 11-02-2013, 09:30 AM
langg
Racer

engine mounts and z-bar should be no problem. I tried the SBC radiator first and boiled it after one trip. Changed to Dewitts and never looked back. If it is an a/c car, watch the evaporator housing during install.

langg

Get notified of new replies

To '74 SBC --> BBC Swap. Am I missing anything?

Quick Reply: '74 SBC --> BBC Swap. Am I missing anything?