C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

converting manual brakes to power

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 09:34 PM
zigvs
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default converting manual brakes to power

What would It take to convert manual brakes to power.Justa add the power brake booster?Maybe a longer rod?
Old 06-12-2011, 10:33 PM
rugerm44
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They sell a kit that comes with every thing.Do a search a lot of people have done it.It's not bad except for getting to the nuts on the booster.
Old 06-12-2011, 10:56 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

I posted a bunch on this a while back.. let me dig it up and I'll post it here for you.

You really don't need the kit.. it's not hard at all to do this.
Old 06-12-2011, 10:58 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Hope it helps.

Keep in mind; I’m doing this from memory so if anyone wants to add to this feel free!

You will need both the power brake booster and a new master cylinder. Power brake and standard brake master cylinders are different.

The cars with standard brakes have two studs on the firewall; you will need to knock these out of the firewall (they will fall inside the car). Then using the two upper holes from the studs as a guide, mark the lower holes and drill them for the lower booster holes. The standard master cylinder uses studs on the firewall.. the power brake booster has studs on it.. so if you drive out the old studs, and use these two holes as a guide the studs on the booster will mark themselves for where to drill.. Hope this makes sense..

Once you do this, you’ll need to enlarge the hole in the firewall for the rod from the power brake booster. Yes it bolts to a different position on the pedal but doing this is real easy. If you look under your dash you’ll see a round hole on a non power brake car. On a power brake car it was egg looking. The inside reinforcement should for both power and standard had this egg looking hole made in to it and if you look under the dash you’ll see what portion of the fiberglass you’ll need to remove.

The standard brake and power brake lamp switch bracket were different, the power brake one is now available new. http://willcoxcorvette.com/product_i...ducts_id=12540

Willcox Inc.

Last edited by Willcox Corvette; 07-09-2011 at 11:52 AM.
Old 06-12-2011, 11:01 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

To add to this:

You'll need the booster master cylinder combination.. http://willcoxcorvette.com/product_i...ducts_id=22171 it is on sale too.. so if you use the code you'll save an extra 10 percent.

Willcox
Old 06-12-2011, 11:20 PM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Yep, you'll also need to change the pushrod, and to relocate its clevis on the pedal arm. Check AIM illustrations to see the different holes for power vs manual brakes, and for other miscellaneous bits.

And, should you follow thru with this, I'd like the manual pushrod.

Old 06-13-2011, 12:14 AM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

To me.. this is one of the easiest upgrades you can make. Low cost and very effective!

IMHO
Old 06-13-2011, 07:45 AM
zigvs
Racer

Thanks guys and I will keep you in mind for the push rod.I wil be calling you wilcox for a fanshroud.Thanks
Old 06-14-2011, 07:17 AM
zigvs
Racer

The kit shows a lot more parts,Like new lines and clevis pin,curved washer and a retainer along with the new push rod.Doesn't the push rod come on the booster with the rubber boot?
Old 06-14-2011, 07:29 AM
zigvs
Racer

I don't want to order the booster and master and find I need additional parts.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:41 PM
rugerm44
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats why I bought the kit.
Old 06-14-2011, 10:26 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Tell you what.. tomorrow.. I'll post you the links to everything you need..

It won't be that hard to do the job. I just want to verify that I give you everything.. it will be cheaper than a kit and it will be the OEM stuff..

Willcox
Old 04-05-2014, 08:29 AM
Sweet70
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Manual to power brakes

Originally Posted by Willcox Corvette
Hope it helps.

Keep in mind; I’m doing this from memory so if anyone wants to add to this feel free!

You will need both the power brake booster and a new master cylinder. Power brake and standard brake master cylinders are different.

The cars with standard brakes have two studs on the firewall; you will need to knock these out of the firewall (they will fall inside the car). Then using the two upper holes from the studs as a guide, mark the lower holes and drill them for the lower booster holes. The standard master cylinder uses studs on the firewall.. the power brake booster has studs on it.. so if you drive out the old studs, and use these two holes as a guide the studs on the booster will mark themselves for where to drill.. Hope this makes sense..

Once you do this, you’ll need to enlarge the hole in the firewall for the rod from the power brake booster. Yes it bolts to a different position on the pedal but doing this is real easy. If you look under your dash you’ll see a round hole on a non power brake car. On a power brake car it was egg looking. The inside reinforcement should for both power and standard had this egg looking hole made in to it and if you look under the dash you’ll see what portion of the fiberglass you’ll need to remove.

The standard brake and power brake lamp switch bracket were different, the power brake one is now available new. http://willcoxcorvette.com/product_i...ducts_id=12540

Willcox Inc.
This is very helpful information. Before cutting holes I've tried to scope this out further to your directions. Using your procedure to establish the drilling locations for the lower booster studs it seems that these holes would be lower than the factory installed reinforcing plate on the inner firewall. Is this correct? would you suggest large washers against the fire wall fiber glass? Or should the base be the locations that are marked on your diagram as #2 and the top holes become the new drilled holes? Should this be the better option, will the booster still line up with the brake peddle correctly? I guess that I had assumed the original two studs for the manual master cylinder would be correct for the top booster studs and the two lower bolts shown as #2 would line up with the lower, this assumption was obviously incorrect.
Old 07-16-2014, 10:50 PM
Bluefalcon1
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

This tread is missing instructions on the additional parts needed for this conversion. I just ordered the booster and master cylinder from Willcox Corvette and sent them an email asking for a list of the additional parts mentioned in this thread. User Sweet70's last post asked for and answer to some questions he had and no response was posted. Can someone please fill in the blanks missing on this tread?
Old 07-17-2014, 12:15 AM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Why on earth would anyone want to go from manual to power? Stopping
distance doesn't change, then there's the issue of a mushy pedal..

When brakes fail and they do, one more variable, is it the booster or the MC?
Old 07-17-2014, 03:48 PM
Sweet70
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bluefalcon1
This tread is missing instructions on the additional parts needed for this conversion. I just ordered the booster and master cylinder from Willcox Corvette and sent them an email asking for a list of the additional parts mentioned in this thread. User Sweet70's last post asked for and answer to some questions he had and no response was posted. Can someone please fill in the blanks missing on this tread?
Hi, this seems like really old history since my conversion is now complete. In the instructions given, I was trying to understand where the holes needed to be. Having done it now, this is what I would do if I were starting over. Make a template for the stud locations from your power brake booster ... not the gasket. Then position the top two holes in the template over the hole locations left from the removal of the manual master cylinder then mark the spots to be drilled for the lower two holes. The top two holes have anchor nuts that can be removed with a couple of sharp blows! When I fitted my power brake booster I found it really difficult to reach the top inside bolt ... hence my booster currently only has three nuts. Be sure to remove the drivers seat and place down something soft. You will need to relocate the clevis to the higher location on the clutch pedal. Also you will need to change the stop light striker and most likely adjust the stop light switch. If your car is still running okay I would leave this until at least fall. Hope this helps.
Old 07-17-2014, 10:10 PM
Bluefalcon1
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Sweet70
Hi, this seems like really old history since my conversion is now complete. In the instructions given, I was trying to understand where the holes needed to be. Having done it now, this is what I would do if I were starting over. Make a template for the stud locations from your power brake booster ... not the gasket. Then position the top two holes in the template over the hole locations left from the removal of the manual master cylinder then mark the spots to be drilled for the lower two holes. The top two holes have anchor nuts that can be removed with a couple of sharp blows! When I fitted my power brake booster I found it really difficult to reach the top inside bolt ... hence my booster currently only has three nuts. Be sure to remove the drivers seat and place down something soft. You will need to relocate the clevis to the higher location on the clutch pedal. Also you will need to change the stop light striker and most likely adjust the stop light switch. If your car is still running okay I would leave this until at least fall. Hope this helps.
Thank you for responding. I take it that you didn't have to buy any other part than the booster and master cylinder. Everything else it seems is just adjustments.

I am out here in Houston Texas and it is heating up. I don't think I can wait till fall. I just bought the car (1970 350/350 4spd, air with all matching #'s). I have been working on cars since forever (my first car was a 1966 Chevelle SS 396 4spd, second was a 67 Camero , third was a 68 corvette 427 4spd,air, telescoping, pwr windows t-tops). Divorce forced the sale of all of them over the years and I am just now getting back into the game. Wish I had them all back today but they sure were fun at the time

Once again..... Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To converting manual brakes to power

Old 07-18-2014, 06:47 AM
Sweet70
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bluefalcon1
Thank you for responding. I take it that you didn't have to buy any other part than the booster and master cylinder. Everything else it seems is just adjustments.

I am out here in Houston Texas and it is heating up. I don't think I can wait till fall. I just bought the car (1970 350/350 4spd, air with all matching #'s). I have been working on cars since forever (my first car was a 1966 Chevelle SS 396 4spd, second was a 67 Camero , third was a 68 corvette 427 4spd,air, telescoping, pwr windows t-tops). Divorce forced the sale of all of them over the years and I am just now getting back into the game. Wish I had them all back today but they sure were fun at the time

Once again..... Thanks
Sorry but you will need to buy some additional parts. If you go to Zip Products website and look up part number DB-50070 under the components tab you will see a complete list of all the bits needed to upgrade your 70. For other years just switch out the last two numbers. I also have a 70 L46 convertible. I did surf around a bit and found some decent instructions step by step, I thought this was also on Zip but I don't see them at the moment. There was also a comment by one parts supplier that this was the easiest upgrade going ... I strongly disagree. When you have enlarged the hole in your fire wall do as much of the clevis switching and brake light stop switch striker replacement through the hole. It's much easier than doing it from the inside with a pedal in your face. Stay cool!
Old 07-18-2014, 07:02 AM
Sweet70
Instructor

Originally Posted by Sweet70
PS ... Thinking about it the brake clevis should be relocated to the lower position on the brake pedal arm.
Old 05-28-2017, 10:25 AM
K B Vettin
Melting Slicks

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

any updates on this conversion? most importantly were you happy with the upgrade?

Quick Reply: converting manual brakes to power