C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

78 SA Turn Signal Lever

Old 07-05-2011, 12:36 AM
the_big_blue_1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 78 SA Turn Signal Lever

I have a 78 SA and the turn signal lever is loose. The lever itself is the one with a bend which I really don't like and with it being loose, makes it hard to use. I have torn down the column to get to the lever and see that the lever is in a black piece of plastic that is riveted into a bracket that is pinned into the column cup. Is there any cure for this issue? Is there a rebuild for that assembly? Any thougts?

Thanks
The_Big_Blue_1
Old 07-05-2011, 04:56 AM
hunt4cleanair
Safety Car

Received 715 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by the_big_blue_1
I have a 78 SA and the turn signal lever is loose. The lever itself is the one with a bend which I really don't like and with it being loose, makes it hard to use. I have torn down the column to get to the lever and see that the lever is in a black piece of plastic that is riveted into a bracket that is pinned into the column cup. Is there any cure for this issue? Is there a rebuild for that assembly? Any thougts?
I've got the same problem with my 78 and have yet to muster the courage to tear into it. do a search in the archives for Jim Shea and steering column. Jim worked at the factory on steering column and has been very helpful with forum members on column issues.
Old 01-19-2012, 12:32 AM
blckslvr79
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Bump for an answer....

Same problem here.

My internals work fine but the turn signal lever feels loose in the pivot....
Is there an easy fix/adjustment?

Last edited by blckslvr79; 01-19-2012 at 01:03 AM.
Old 01-19-2012, 07:37 AM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Here is some preliminary information on the 1978 thru 1982 turn signal levers and dimmer pivots. (The 1977 lever and pivot includes the windshield wash/wipe switch so we will not go into that subject in detail.)

Removing Turn Signal Lever
On 1977 through 82 columns the turn signal lever actuates the headlamp dimmer function by pulling rearward on the lever. This lever plugs into a pivot assembly that is part of the steering column head. The turn signal lever has as a round shaft with a groove and a bullet nose on the end. When the lever is inserted into the column pivot, a spring loaded pin engages the groove on the lever and it is held securely in place. Grip the lever firmly and pull straight out to get it to disengage from the column pivot.

Inside the 1977 through 1982 steering column head there is an arm assembly that moves with the dimmer pivot and attaches to the turn signal switch with a screw. The attaching screw can be tightened by using the round access hole in the locking plate. (Rotate the steering shaft so that the hole is at the 10 o’clock position.) You will need to remove the locking plate in order to remove the entire arm. This screw has a tendency to loosen. I suggest that you use Locktite on the threads and tighten it to 15 inch-lbs. Typically you lose the ability to actuate a left turn as the screw begins to loosen.

Since you are mentioning that your levers are "loose" I suspect that the hole in the plastic dimmer pivot is worn. This would allow the lever to feel loose. This would mean that the upper end of the steering column would need to be disassembled and the dimmer pivot replaced.
This paper goes into detail with respect to the different dimmer pivots and turn signal levers that were used in C3 production from 1978 thru 1982.
http://jimshea.corvettefaq.com/wp-co...ev14jl2010.pdf
This is a chart outlining the many levers and pivots.
http://jimshea.corvettefaq.com/wp-co...ev14jl2010.pdf
Jim
Old 01-19-2012, 12:57 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Hi Jim - the second pdf you posted only seems to show turn signal levers. Is there a PN/availability list for the pivots?
Old 01-19-2012, 01:12 PM
blckslvr79
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks Jim.

Looks like there is no easy fix then. I've already got the column apart repairing my horn contacts, but hate to rip into the lower column for this. After all, it works fine.

Thanks for the info.
Old 01-19-2012, 06:16 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Here is information on the pivots. I reference Corvette Central parts because their catalogue was most discriptive as to the three different dimmer pivots. I hope that it is still current.

From 1978 through 1982 there were three different combinations of dimmer pivots and turn signal levers. For some years (particularly 1978-79) you are going to need to determine which vintage dimmer pivot that you have.

1978 SOP had a dimmer pivot (Corvette Central #563002) that was held in place in the turn signal housing by means of a big screw and the turn signal lever mounting hole in the pivot was at a shallow 21 degrees.

1978 Late to 1979 - The attachment of the dimmer pivot was changed from a screw to a pressed-in pin (Corvette Central dimmer pivot #563001). So you will need to know if your housing is threaded for the screw or does it have a hole for the pressed-in pin. I do not have any information as to how “early” or “late” in the model year the change occurred. The turn signal lever hole in the pivot remained at 21 degrees.

The 78 to 79 - The turn signal lever w/cruise (GM 25030522, ZIP SC-337 or Doc Rebuild #2897116) had a 30 degree bend in it because the dimmer pivot had the lever mounting hole that was at a shallow angle (21 degrees) and the lever needs to bend toward the steering wheel rim such that the driver can easily reach the cruise button.

The 78-82 T&T turn signal lever w/o cruise was GM 14009242, ZIP SC-333 or Doc Rebuild #2897118. It was a straight lever.

The next change occurred late in the 1979 model year. The angle of the turn signal lever mounting hole in the dimmer pivot was changed to 46 degrees. The turn signal lever now was pointed more directly at the steering wheel and the turn signal lever was straight. Zip Products lists a 79L-82 Turn Signal Arm Pivot Assembly SC-756. This should be the pivot that works with straight turn signal levers.

Here are the T&T levers that I think work with the 46 degree pivot. GM 25030492, Zip Products 79L-80 Turn Signal Lever w/tele & w/o cruise SC-332. 1981-82 Turn Signal Lever w/cruise (Resume Switch on side of lever) Doc Rebuild 289119.

Jim
Old 01-27-2012, 02:28 PM
CorvetteCentral.com
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Shea
Here is information on the pivots. I reference Corvette Central parts because their catalogue was most discriptive as to the three different dimmer pivots. I hope that it is still current.

From 1978 through 1982 there were three different combinations of dimmer pivots and turn signal levers. For some years (particularly 1978-79) you are going to need to determine which vintage dimmer pivot that you have.

1978 SOP had a dimmer pivot (Corvette Central #563002) that was held in place in the turn signal housing by means of a big screw and the turn signal lever mounting hole in the pivot was at a shallow 21 degrees.

1978 Late to 1979 - The attachment of the dimmer pivot was changed from a screw to a pressed-in pin (Corvette Central dimmer pivot #563001). So you will need to know if your housing is threaded for the screw or does it have a hole for the pressed-in pin. I do not have any information as to how “early” or “late” in the model year the change occurred. The turn signal lever hole in the pivot remained at 21 degrees.

The 78 to 79 - The turn signal lever w/cruise (GM 25030522, ZIP SC-337 or Doc Rebuild #2897116) had a 30 degree bend in it because the dimmer pivot had the lever mounting hole that was at a shallow angle (21 degrees) and the lever needs to bend toward the steering wheel rim such that the driver can easily reach the cruise button.

The 78-82 T&T turn signal lever w/o cruise was GM 14009242, ZIP SC-333 or Doc Rebuild #2897118. It was a straight lever.

The next change occurred late in the 1979 model year. The angle of the turn signal lever mounting hole in the dimmer pivot was changed to 46 degrees. The turn signal lever now was pointed more directly at the steering wheel and the turn signal lever was straight. Zip Products lists a 79L-82 Turn Signal Arm Pivot Assembly SC-756. This should be the pivot that works with straight turn signal levers.

Here are the T&T levers that I think work with the 46 degree pivot. GM 25030492, Zip Products 79L-80 Turn Signal Lever w/tele & w/o cruise SC-332. 1981-82 Turn Signal Lever w/cruise (Resume Switch on side of lever) Doc Rebuild 289119.

Jim
There are 2 different pivots in 1978, but one of them is discontinued.

Early, 563002 is still available.

Late, 563001 is Discontinued.
Old 01-27-2012, 03:35 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by CorvetteCentral.com
There are 2 different pivots in 1978, but one of them is discontinued.

Early, 563002 is still available.

Late, 563001 is Discontinued.
Yup... I just ordered a new pivot from a Corvette vendor. big $$$.

Is there any hope of these being reproduced ever??

Get notified of new replies

To 78 SA Turn Signal Lever

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 78 SA Turn Signal Lever