C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'71 350: Rebuild or Crate?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 09:45 PM
seventyoneragtop
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '71 350: Rebuild or Crate?

I haven’t touched my old ’71 ragtop in 8 years (I parked it due to a halfshaft problem). Last week I decided to get her running again. Cranked it over a few times and, sure enough, she started right up. However, sounds like there are some serious problems with the block. I have to make some major decisions be fore proceeding.

I’ll tell you a bit about the Vette, then tell you a bit about how I intend to use it in the long run, and then I’ll propose a few solutions to the engine problem .

The Vette: ’71 Ragtop with a 350/270 4 speed with matching numbers. I don’t think that the block has been rebuilt. However, it was my daily driver for maybe 3 or 4 years, so I put a lot of miles on it.

Useage: I want to keep it relatively original, particularly from the outside. I want it to have the power that it had before I parked it, but I don’t want a monster. It won’t be a daily driver: I’ll use it as a possible backup if I have trouble with my main vehicle. Of course, I’ll cruise around town for fun on occasion. Long term, I hope to tour the country with it. Basically, I want something that’s reliable, powerfull, but not crazy strong. I’m really shooting for an end-result that performs similarly to a stock 350/270, but with perhaps a bit more umph, say 25-50 hp more.

Solutions:

1. Have the original rebuilt (I don’t have the skills/equipment to do it myself)

2. Get the GM Performance 350/290 : $1900

3. Get the Goodwrench 350 : $1500

I have the standard concerns about having the original rebuilt: who to trust? I also wonder how cost effective it would be compared to the two crates? How much might I expect to pay a reliable mechanic to rebuild it?

Ultimately, of course, if I am willing to pay almost $2k for a crate, why not sink that same money into the original, provided I can find someone I trust? The crate is appealing because it’s entirely new. I’d really like some feedback on this question.

As for the 350/290 vs the Goodwrench 350: Like I said, I want the same performance that I had, and maybe a bit more. Can I get that out of the Goodwrench without installing a new cam (and thus voiding the warranty?). Which of the two would be the best fit for the things I would like to do with the Vette? Cost isn’t a major factor in this case.

Any recommendations or additional thoughts are also welcome.

By the way, of course I would keep the old block around even if I installed a crate.
Old 07-28-2011, 09:57 PM
TOM B1
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

2000 dollars would almost get you a cheap rebuild, real cheap. so i would pack away the original engine and buy a crate and go cruisin. done.
Old 07-28-2011, 10:04 PM
seventyoneragtop
Cruising

Thanks Tom. That was my biggest issue.
Old 07-28-2011, 10:21 PM
dlux72
Intermediate

71'
I have just completed an engine swap and had already made the decision to buy a crate engine and put the original in the crate for storage. Reading your post it seems we have about the same use for our Vette's, my thoughts were right on yours, a rebuilt without the flame throwing horsepower, but then a little more than the original 200 mine came with. I bought from Phoenix Engine Rebuilders and although I'm in the timing, re-torqueing, carb ajusting, break-in period, I couldn't be more pleased with the results. 335 HP, chrome valve covers, a set of 1986 aluminum heads, aluminum intake, 9.6 compression ratio (mine was 8.5). $2100
Old 07-28-2011, 10:25 PM
Richard Cooper
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I just put the GM Performance 350/290 crate motor in my 81. It was by far cheaper then a re-build. I paid just around $2,000 including shipping.
I am VERY happy with the motor and had no problems at all installing it myself. She started right up after sitting 5 years. I was so happy with it that I have now started taking some of the parts off the new motor to powder coat them.
Old 07-29-2011, 12:58 AM
jackson
Le Mans Master

Received 628 Likes on 556 Posts

The only real solution for matching numbers is ... your OE motor.

routine rebuild your 71 L48 ... but with a few inexpensive upgrades ... tuned well will make about 325 fwhp.

>small dome pistons: sealed power H618CP

>thin steel shim head gaskets: felpro 1094

that'll increase a +20 or +30 overbore motor's compression to between 9.7 - 9.8:1 scr

>cam&lifter kit: summit K1103

it'll look absolutely OE ... all upgrades internal

best crate motor value is YearOne CT350PC1 purchase price $2999
+400fwhp, iron Vortec heads, roller cam-roller lifters, dyno-tested w/ real dyno sheet, reputable company

-add-
fill in your profile with an approx geographic location ...
maybe someone here can suggest a reliable rebuilder in your area.

Last edited by jackson; 07-29-2011 at 01:10 AM.
Old 07-29-2011, 03:14 AM
Vette5.5
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Get some prices from some local engine shops on a rebuild, compared to a crate. Problem with the 71' is its low compression, and the rebuild will probably machine off the block i.d. numbers. Problem with the crate, is you'll have the extra engine laying around. You can get a rolling storage cradle for about $50 bucks to make it easier though. If no intake, just put a piece of wood on it, and make it a storage shelf.
Old 07-29-2011, 10:05 AM
dlux72
Intermediate

Hey, Vette5.5 has a good idea. Or how about putting it in your living room for a coffee table!

Get notified of new replies

To '71 350: Rebuild or Crate?

Quick Reply: '71 350: Rebuild or Crate?