C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does a 1972 sb need a smog pump?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 07:42 PM
ckupas
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my 74 was only tagged for PCV and TCS oh and it had that 1 year only stupid interlock relay, that quickly got removed from the system lol
Old 08-15-2011, 05:57 PM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Well finally got the vette out to install the canister, well in the direct sunlight and not being ticked there the original was. The officer with his flashlight didn't see it and I stupidly took his word for it. I replugged the one hose back into the carb and bought a new pcv with a 2 hose adapter for $9. Ran a hose from the valve cover into the air filter and done. I appreciate all of your help and advice. I'll probably order a crankcase check valve from Jegs and be finished as I couldn't get one here.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:36 PM
PhilaScott
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts

I'd get a bicycle air pump and when he asks to see your air pump, just produce it. You can even offer to connect it.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:02 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by BKbroiler
You're saying a cop pulled you over and looked under your hood and determined that you don't have a smog pump and you have to prove you don't need one? So in Canada you are guilty till proven innocent? Those cops must have quite a bit of automotive training just to identify any smog pump on every car built in the last 40 years.
They can do it out here, too. Scary .

Matter of time before my 67 becomes illegal to own. Actually its supposed ot have the smog pump on it. Without they could impound if they wanted. Messed up no?
Old 08-15-2011, 11:21 PM
Willytrash
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by petes74ttop
Why would a stick car need an air pump while a auto does not?
From what I understand when you down shift a stick the motor goes into more of a vacuum which causes a slightly richer condition, hence the need for an air pump.
Old 08-16-2011, 12:00 PM
tracdogg2
Drifting

Received 109 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Willytrash
From what I understand when you down shift a stick the motor goes into more of a vacuum which causes a slightly richer condition, hence the need for an air pump.
You're close but that's not it. When you let off the gas to shift the mixture goes lean (CO) but the hydrocarbons (HC) skyrocket.
Mike
Old 09-12-2012, 12:47 PM
L84s R Us
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here in California it matter what your engine code says. Typically your car that was not originally registered in Ca would have an engine stamp code ofCKW or CKX. this alone would excempt you from ever having to put it on here.
Now on the other hand, if your engine code is CDH or CDJ, you would have to have it on once the laws change.

I have a 72 454, 4-speed and do not have my A.I.R. pump or any of the other equiptment on it.

The laws are starting to change though. we are excempt and do not have to get the cars smogged unless we sell the car. It is headed in thedirection of having to have on the car what it came from the factory with. We are not there yet, but I am affraid it will not be long.

Truth is I am not opposed to it. Except it might mess with the rodders that have newer engines in them. The smog equiptment has to be what the engine originally had on it.

If you are running a 63, 327, you are fine. But, if you are running a 69, 427, your rod would now need to have the 69 smog equiptment.

California is not as bad as I have heard it made out to be. Especially if you are in a county that is not one with a big city. I am not that lucky, but some of those counties have almost no requirements.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:01 AM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Saginaw manufactured the A.I.R. pumps for General Motors back in the 70's. Here is the application for Corvettes in 1972. (This summary cannot be taken as gospel, but it came right from the company that manufactured the pump.)

1972 - A.I.R. system returned for most Corvettes except L48 engines with the "CKW" (350ci, 200hp, manual trans) and "CKX" (350ci, 200hp, auto trans) codes.

So according to Saginaw records the base engine 1972 Corvette with either manual or auto trans did NOT have an A.I.R. pump. You could have the "ec" emission control option (California?) that did require the A.I.R. pump (engine codes CDH or CDJ).

Jim
Old 09-13-2012, 10:00 AM
stpman
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jim Shea
Saginaw manufactured the A.I.R. pumps for General Motors back in the 70's. Here is the application for Corvettes in 1972. (This summary cannot be taken as gospel, but it came right from the company that manufactured the pump.)

1972 - A.I.R. system returned for most Corvettes except L48 engines with the "CKW" (350ci, 200hp, manual trans) and "CKX" (350ci, 200hp, auto trans) codes.

So according to Saginaw records the base engine 1972 Corvette with either manual or auto trans did NOT have an A.I.R. pump. You could have the "ec" emission control option (California?) that did require the A.I.R. pump (engine codes CDH or CDJ).

Jim
Jim

is that the same for 73?
Old 09-13-2012, 10:54 AM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by stpman
Jim

is that the same for 73?
No. All '73 Corvettes had AIR, no exceptions.
Old 09-13-2012, 12:01 PM
stpman
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike Ward
No. All '73 Corvettes had AIR, no exceptions.
Why do some 74's not have it then?
Old 09-13-2012, 12:28 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

One of the main reasons that Saginaw got out of the AIR business was that AIR pump useage was usually decided at the last minute. (The car companies hated adding the "parasitic" pump and all the added plumbing to their engine compartments." So if there was any way to fine tune the carburator, ignition system, etc, then they worked very hard to eliminate the need for the pump. Then at the last minute they might have to add the pump because they stastistically didn't meet that year's emission certification goals.

So that is why one year might have an AIR pump, then virtually the same engine the next year may have been "tweaked" enough to not require it.

With AIR pump useage bouncing around it was very difficult to run an efficient manufacturing plant. Going from feast to famine and back again in only a two or three year span. And it wasn't just Chevrolet engines, it was Pontiac, Cadillac, Buick, Oldsmobile, etc all bouncing around the emission targets. And of course the California and the Federal emission specifications might change from year to year as well.

So Saginaw sold their tooling and design to Holley and got out of the AIR business.
Jim
Old 09-13-2012, 12:46 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Jim, interesting piece of history. Never understood why some cars had them and some did not.

Originally Posted by Jim Shea
One of the main reasons that Saginaw got out of the AIR business was that AIR pump useage was usually decided at the last minute. (The car companies hated adding the "parasitic" pump and all the added plumbing to their engine compartments." So if there was any way to fine tune the carburator, ignition system, etc, then they worked very hard to eliminate the need for the pump. Then at the last minute they might have to add the pump because they stastistically didn't meet that year's emission certification goals.

So that is why one year might have an AIR pump, then virtually the same engine the next year may have been "tweaked" enough to not require it.

With AIR pump useage bouncing around it was very difficult to run an efficient manufacturing plant. Going from feast to famine and back again in only a two or three year span. And it wasn't just Chevrolet engines, it was Pontiac, Cadillac, Buick, Oldsmobile, etc all bouncing around the emission targets. And of course the California and the Federal emission specifications might change from year to year as well.

So Saginaw sold their tooling and design to Holley and got out of the AIR business.
Jim
Old 09-13-2012, 02:22 PM
BB72
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Ministry info for ontario

http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/reg...s_980361_e.htm

http://www.ene.gov.on.ca/environment...OD_098206.html

http://www.ene.gov.on.ca/environment...OD_098041.html

Last edited by BB72; 09-13-2012 at 02:30 PM.
Old 09-13-2012, 03:11 PM
jim2527
Race Director

Received 633 Likes on 426 Posts

Move to Florida!! A few years back the state stopped doing emmisions testing because the fail rate was too low.
Old 09-13-2012, 03:23 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

I got your PM- seems you've answered your own questions.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:45 PM
BB72
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Ward
I got your PM- seems you've answered your own questions.
The way I read it is the emissions only have to match the original standards that the car came with. So my BB only needs to pass 72 sb emission standards or just have the same emissions equipment that the small block came with?! Not sure there, then they throw is this 1980 emissions standard.

Quick Reply: Does a 1972 sb need a smog pump?