C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HL Relay and Wiper Door Safety Valve testing with New O-ring style Piston

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 02:58 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

I thought 500 on the HL relays was a sufficient test X 2.
500 on the wiper switch , hmmm , doesn't that usually require RAIN for that one to be used ?

OK where is CCrane72 ? ? ?
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...-start-up.html
Old 08-08-2011, 09:44 AM
jcloving
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Roger,

Awesome work. If there were a way to chamfer the edges of the inside of the ports that might help o-ring wear.

Then again, a 500x cycle test is pretty conclusive.

Let me know if I can help. I rebuilt my relays with the o-ring/RTV method and they are ok. One is a bit leaky but still functions.

John
Old 08-08-2011, 05:54 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Thanks John , those 500 cycles might have smoothed the edges of the ports a bit.
Old 08-12-2011, 09:10 PM
AllC34Me

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,103 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Roger, this is great and just this week Gordon and I were working through this very problem with original and reproduction valves. You get a kit out there to repair them and the Corvette World will beat a path to your door. You offer a rebuild service and, well, lets just say you may need an agent.

Thanks for this effort, looks great and very encouraging.
David
Old 08-16-2011, 01:41 AM
shrekviper
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great work Roger!
I'd happily pay twice what the repros are for one that works.

How much is the plunger on the safety valve depressed (full, part-way, just enough to create the vacuum)? I've found the "sweet spot" on mine, but I still slowly lose vacuum.

Scott
Old 09-01-2011, 07:01 PM
JW3101
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-‘17-‘18

Roger,

Any more progress on the tests?

I've been troubleshooting vacuum problems all day, ran all new hoses and ended up changing the relay valves; they at least go up and down now - just not as well as they should.

This looks like a great project you have going!
Old 09-01-2011, 08:50 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Sorry I haven't been back to this thread,I've been busy trying to sell my Corvette stuff I've accumulated over the years, Carlisle didn't rid me of much of it.

What I'm working on now is seizing after sitting for several days in the smaller valves. I'm trying a wide range of different lubricants.I thought silicone paste was going to be used but it won't work.
I'm also trying to work out a piston assembly that will work in all 3 applications. All 3 valves require different functions of the piston.
The piston in the relays has been the easiest and will work as is.The relay piston only directs vacuum from the center port to either the upper port or lower port (the little valves do other things).The relays won't be prone to seizing.

The heater valve is a weird one ( especially since it came on the scene after the wiper valve but is basically identical )it dumps vacuum,transfers vacuum and the weird part , seals 1 port so there is not a vacuum leak from source.Source vacuum is the lower port on this valve( on the wiper valve , source vacuum is the center port).The worry with this valve is sealing the source vacuum with a round o-ring.

The wiper valve transfers vacuum and dumps vacuum but doesn't need to seal its source vacuum.This valve is the most prone to seizing because the spring will be responsible to move the piston when the wiper arm releases it. This valve is the most troubling because it could cause some damage if it sticks and door closes before the wipers are parked.

Leaking vacuum like we have all experienced is gone with these o-ring pistons ,they hold vacuum forever,but it seems to have come with a price.
If we can conquer the seizing ( and were close ) the other issues will be easy.
I have new respect for the GM design piston,I hope we don't have to go back and try to improve it. It works a little like the lip seals in the brake calipers,more pressure=tighter seal.
Stay tuned.
Old 09-01-2011, 08:59 PM
Roco71
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Roger,
You are sort of like the Thomas Edison of Corvettes. All the electrical stuff and now inventing stuff.
Old 09-01-2011, 11:25 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Wow,Thanks for the compliment , I would have done anything ,swept floors,emptied garbage,volunteered to be electrocuted ,anything to be able to watch him do his experiments.
Old 09-02-2011, 02:45 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Roger,
When I was a boy I got to see Edison's working lab.
At that time, (early 50's), it was still pretty much untouched from when he had used it, and incredible to see for a kid that was learning about trying make something out of nothing!
I hadn't thought about that visit for many years until Roco mentioned Edison.
Good Luck with YOUR experiments!
Regards,
Alan
Old 02-19-2012, 01:28 PM
Red Vert 02
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Hi Roger,

Any news on your new style vacuum relay piston ? They were looking very promising.
Old 02-19-2012, 08:12 PM
kydirt
Instructor

I'm not sure what you used for the dog bone piece, but I made mine out of a 3/8" aluminum dowell that I "machined" in my drill press. I cut out the center area for air flow and then put grooves in for O-rings. They have worked for a couple years on my car. I didn't take the diaghram apart as I uncrimped the rod with a needle nose pliers and then recrimped it when done.
Old 06-20-2012, 02:38 PM
jerome1979
Racer

Quick Reply: HL Relay and Wiper Door Safety Valve testing with New O-ring style Piston