C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bought an air compressor and paint gun.

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2002, 12:39 AM
Rockn-Roll
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Bought an air compressor and paint gun.

There was a forum member who offered use of his equipment, but haven't received a response from emails, there was also someone in the storage unit next to mine who claimed to have an air compressor and new paint gun that I could use, but he hasn't shown up...not sure what kind of paint gun he has either.

I picked the bottom of the line air compressor, but the top of the line paint gun from Craftsman at Sears. $179 for the air compressor, and $99 for the paint gun. Add to that the paint material $150 and that comes to about $430 which is about $270 below what the lowest bid to paint my bumpers was. The benefits are that I own the equipment and can do other jobs like clear coating the entire car to eliminate spider web scratches from when someone used a buffer, and I can use the original paint (other places refused to use the same paint brand that is currently on the car), and if I don't like the way it looks I can do it over again, there's also my drivers door which has some bubbles in it and should be refinished.

I've shot paint before for the Air Force so it's not like I'm a total rookie...this is going to be fun.
Old 05-01-2002, 01:32 AM
trw
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: Bought an air compressor and paint gun. (Rockn-Roll)

Go for it.

I painted my first car with a 2x4 frame and plastic over a gravel drive. It looked good.

Like you said, "If you mess up, just spray it again"

Happy spraying

Terry
Old 05-01-2002, 10:35 AM
82dukman
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Bought an air compressor and paint gun. (trw)

:cool: I have a 15 gal Craftsman compressor and a $60 paint gun from Harbor fright. I just re-sprayed all of the interior panels and it you follow the prep recommendations, and those for PSI to shoot the paint, it should be no problem. Take your tima and it will turn out well
Old 05-01-2002, 11:03 AM
fontking1a
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Bought an air compressor and paint gun. (Rockn-Roll)

Hopefully you didn't forget to buy yourself a good respirator/mask. Whatever you do, please get one of these...and get the top of the line. This stuff they sell today will kill you. You'll also need some sort of well ventilated area to shoot your bumpers. The upside is that now you can do all your own painting, repairing etc. but make sure you take care of your lungs because the fumes are deadly!!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Bought an air compressor and paint gun.

Quick Reply: Bought an air compressor and paint gun.