C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS3 into my 72

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2015, 06:33 AM
vstol
Melting Slicks

Received 76 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Patro46
Why? Let the PCM handle those duties. You can set on/off temps for both fans, have control like WOT feature and several other advantages of having the temps monitored
I wrestled with that as well and decided to let the ECM control it but I might put an on/off switch in between
Old 04-06-2017, 09:18 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Wow I have not updated this in quite a while. I have done a few things to it. I'll have to dig back in this post but it does have a full coil over suspension in it now and custom exhaust and a few other things. I'll have to update this with some pictures.

Another piece I have to deal with the speedo issue is my Cobra has a GPS speedo in it. I bought one for the Vette also to give it a try. The GPS one is very accurate. Little pricey but it seems to work very well.

Last edited by Gordonm; 04-06-2017 at 09:20 PM.
Old 04-07-2017, 12:39 AM
Metalhead140
Drifting

Received 472 Likes on 344 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Gordon, have you seen that Speedhut now offer a GPS box to drive your original speedo cable? Just in case you'd prefer to retain the factory gauge.

Edit, link: http://www.speedhut.com/Speedbox.html

Last edited by Metalhead140; 04-07-2017 at 12:40 AM.
Old 04-07-2017, 07:26 AM
Gordonm
Race Director

Originally Posted by Metalhead140
Gordon, have you seen that Speedhut now offer a GPS box to drive your original speedo cable? Just in case you'd prefer to retain the factory gauge.

Edit, link: http://www.speedhut.com/Speedbox.html
I have seen that before. I did change all my gauges to Autometer gauges years ago. So they are all electronic now. In the few years I have been off the Vette a lot has been developed for LS swaps so I may have to redo a few things on mine.
Old 04-07-2017, 04:54 PM
Tim 1973
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

Good to see you back, I also dropped off for a bit... I'm back on mine!
Old 04-07-2017, 08:50 PM
Jeff k
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts

Glad you guys are back at it! My motivation stays high when I can see the progress on other projects.
Thanks are not enough to Gordon and Tim, you will never realize the impact you have had on my swap project.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jeff k:
Gordonm (04-08-2017), Tim 1973 (04-07-2017)
Old 04-10-2017, 09:28 PM
1976-L82
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff k
Glad you guys are back at it! My motivation stays high when I can see the progress on other projects.
Thanks are not enough to Gordon and Tim, you will never realize the impact you have had on my swap project.
The following users liked this post:
Tim 1973 (04-10-2017)
Old 04-10-2017, 09:32 PM
Tim 1973
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

Some times Life gets in the way of our shop time... But I always seem to make it back in the shop....

Last edited by Tim 1973; 04-10-2017 at 09:32 PM.
Old 04-11-2017, 05:27 AM
Gordonm
Race Director

Originally Posted by Tim 1973
Some times Life gets in the way of our shop time... But I always seem to make it back in the shop....

Been in the shop just with a different car. Built the Cobra replica and it is awesome. Currently have a forum members car for a tremec 5 speed swap and fuel injection. But yes life does get in the way and sometimes limits shop time. That's not all bad either. Sometimes you need a little break. I did fire it up yesterday and the LS3 sounds oh so good. Even after sitting about 5 months I hit the key and it fired and ran great. Love fuel injection.

Last edited by Gordonm; 04-11-2017 at 05:28 AM.
Old 11-02-2017, 02:57 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Let me see if I can start this going again. I have some more pictures I can post but these are the most recent. I had some trouble initially with the speedo working. I have Autometer gauges and with my old 383 and T56 I had it working. Now with the LS3 the sender out of the trans is occupied with the computer. I tried different ways of doing this but it was not accurate. It did work well at all if it worked at all. Along comes the Cobra build and most of those guys run the speedo off GPS which I did with mine and it works great so I bought one for the Vette. I installed it but have not driven it yet. Here it sits on the dash, you hardly notice it and the signal box under the console. Very easy to install. A little pricey but what isn't on these cars.
Attached Images   
Old 01-19-2018, 01:19 PM
XXXBLK
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Question about water pump mods

did the mods to the water pump clear the arms? Did you have additional mods? Where did you find those fittings?
Old 01-19-2018, 05:20 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Originally Posted by XXXBLK
did the mods to the water pump clear the arms? Did you have additional mods? Where did you find those fittings?
Yes they now clear the frame and suspension no problem. All the fittings are pretty much standard AN fittings and pipe fittings.
Old 01-19-2018, 05:25 PM
XXXBLK
Advanced

Default Water pump

Are the Barb fittings 5/8?
Old 01-19-2018, 05:35 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Originally Posted by XXXBLK
Are the Barb fittings 5/8?
Really testing my memory here. This was a number of years ago. Let me do a little looking into this before I answer. Want to make sure I give you the correct answer.

OK Yes I did use 5/8 heater hose on both fittings. You did see I did do the WP fittings a little different from the original setup using the stock WP holes. I sealed them up and then drilled and tapped new holes on the top side of the stock location. This provided much more clearance and better location of the hoses.

Last edited by Gordonm; 01-19-2018 at 05:43 PM.
Old 01-31-2018, 11:18 AM
novadoug
Navigator

Gordonm great post thanks. I am new to this forum but not to the C3 have had my 72 since 75 . Iam thinking of doing this swap on a 78 only with a auto. any idea of amount of hours involved .If all goes well my 72 will be next
Old 02-01-2018, 06:34 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Originally Posted by novadoug
Gordonm great post thanks. I am new to this forum but not to the C3 have had my 72 since 75 . Iam thinking of doing this swap on a 78 only with a auto. any idea of amount of hours involved .If all goes well my 72 will be next
Countless hours. Honestly I have never kept track of hours or dollars. The two cars I have are fun cars. Don’t really care about time or money in them. They both have way to much time and money but I’m not worried about that. It is my fun time and hobby. It all depends on how well you want it to fit and how you want it to look. You could spend a hundred hours or a thousand hours.
Old 02-02-2018, 12:09 AM
novadoug
Navigator

Originally Posted by Gordonm
Countless hours. Honestly I have never kept track of hours or dollars. The two cars I have are fun cars. Don’t really care about time or money in them. They both have way to much time and money but I’m not worried about that. It is my fun time and hobby. It all depends on how well you want it to fit and how you want it to look. You could spend a hundred hours or a thousand hours.
I under stand that. I consider it therapy when working on my own cars. I can really get involved and forget about the rest of the world. But I need to give a estimate on a LS install on a C3 . Thanks for your response I'am thinking around 85-90 hours depends on owners wants /extras I'll let you know If I do the swap. Thanks again

Get notified of new replies

To LS3 into my 72

Old 02-02-2018, 06:41 AM
Gordonm
Race Director

e
Originally Posted by novadoug
I under stand that. I consider it therapy when working on my own cars. I can really get involved and forget about the rest of the world. But I need to give a estimate on a LS install on a C3 . Thanks for your response I'am thinking around 85-90 hours depends on owners wants /extras I'll let you know If I do the swap. Thanks again
Yes I think that is a pretty fair estimate. With all the little things that have to be done if they want it done may be a little north of that but just the swap you should be pretty good with that number.
Old 12-31-2018, 01:32 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

I never know if I should update this thread or start a new one. I'll update here and add as needed. Lat winter I vowed to get this project back on the road but I helped out a forum member instead. So it stalled again. This winter I said I'm in no matter what the cost or time. So after a quick job of all new brakes and all new suspension on another forum members car I jumped back into mine.

Some of the issues were the hydroboost. I never really liked the feel and after driving the Cobra with manual brakes I decided to go another direction. So I removed it and went back to a factory vacuum system with Wilwood MC. This required a pedal box change which is not a big deal since it was all out anyway. The next up was the Hyd. clutch slave cylinder. I had a 3/4 bore in it and it was to much. It was either in or out with very little pedal travel. So I swapped in a 5/8 bore MC and we shall see how this work. The biggest issue was the 46 year old wire harness. To many horror stories of fires so I decided to yank it. Now nothing is stock on my car so a lot of wires I could remove and not miss and all my gauges and such are custom. So I took a 73 harness for the inside of the car since a forum member had a brand new one for a good price. This did another thing I did not think of but it took away all the wiper door wiring that I don't need anyway since I am running a long L88 hood. BONUS! So I have spent hours removing and soldering up a custom harness from the existing one. I have 4 main plugs now. One for the speedo head, one for the tach head and 2 for the console gauges and radio and HVAC system. So its a matter of 4 plugs now to get all the wiring in when installing the dash pads. Still working a little on the Vintage Air wiring, the trinary switch and hooking up the console part of it. A bunch more little updates also coming along. I'll see if I can post a few recent pictures up of it.
Another thing I am doing is going back to the 3 point Camaro belts I had years ago. I put in a 5 point racing and it was OK but never really fit the seats correctly. I recently purchased a set of power C5 Sport seats to replace the standard C5 seats I had in the car. The Vette is going t obe more of a nice powerful cruising car than a race car. I have that in the Cobra. That car is like driving a wild bull so I have the 5 point harness in that car. You don't get in that car as much as you put it on. You become a part of it. So with these I can cruise comfortably or hop in the cobra and scare the crap out of yourself.

Last edited by Gordonm; 12-31-2018 at 02:13 PM.
Old 12-31-2018, 01:43 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

​​​​​​​Interior shots and the PB vs manual pedal box.

Last edited by Gordonm; 12-31-2018 at 01:50 PM.

Quick Reply: LS3 into my 72