C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

mid-america chambered ?'s before purchase

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2002, 03:05 AM
szercer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mid-america chambered ?'s before purchase

I tried to ask this in another thread but it fell off the board so here goes... I would appreciate any views or info/opinions/experiences with this setup for a 76 with headers(or any year). My main concern is that some said the 2.5" system narrows to 2" at some point, so I was wondering if its a short enough area to widen with pipe spreaders? Also I've heard an h-pipe is recommended, this is for balancing out the two sides and reducing resonance... could be a dumb ? but the pipe is actually a functioning part of the exhaust and is cut into the pipes right? Don't wanna set myself up for a high quote at the muffler shop by being ignorant :lol:
Old 05-01-2002, 05:26 AM
bustnu2
Cruising

Default Re: mid-america chambered ?'s before purchase (szercer)

i have a 72 with the chambered system now. i don't have an "h" pipe in place. just the two pipes running straight back off the headers. the system is loud so be prepared to get noticed!!! sometimes thats good, somtimes that's bad. the "h" pipe connects the two pipes together and is a functioning part of the exhaust, it helps balance the tubes and helps low end power. the system does neck down to 2 1/4" or 2" can't remember which but it was right at the end of the pipe where the exhaust tips mount. i had the restriction cut out and had my exhaust tips custom made to 2.5"..... overall i love the system
Old 05-01-2002, 09:26 AM
Tex71BB
Burning Brakes

I have Allen's chambered exhaust. I can't swear to it, but I don't think the pipes choke down at the chambered section. When I ordered it, the guy on the phone suggested I use '73 tips because the '70 thru '72 tips reduce from 2 1/2" to 2 1/4" and the '73s don't. I have heard some folks here squawk about MAD's quality/fit. The Allen's system bolted right up with no problems. You might want to give them a call.

Old 05-01-2002, 09:27 AM
BDAZVET
Instructor

Default Re: mid-america chambered ?'s before purchase (bustnu2)

Crossover pipes are a good thing. Find a muffler shop you can trust and speak with them before you order. Maybe this will help soften the blow, though I`ve heard that it is not that expensive. Make sure that you can unbolt it when you speak with them. They do narrow to a "crimp" every chamber, if that is what you mean. Chambered exhaust do not flow as well as other systems, but they are nice set ups. Hope this helps. :)
Old 05-01-2002, 11:09 AM
tnt76vette
Drifting

Default Re: mid-america chambered ?'s before purchase (BDAZVET)

Either SUMMIT or JEGS has a do it yourself H-pipe kit...........Abt $40 and a sawzall is all you need........... :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod:
Old 05-01-2002, 03:16 PM
szercer
Instructor

Default Re: mid-america chambered ?'s before purchase (BDAZVET)

thanks for all the help, chambered exhaust with an h pipe should still be more than enough flow for 250-300 hp though, right? maybe 350 in the future...
Old 05-02-2002, 10:28 PM
vett79
Racer

Dumb question.............can a resinator or small muffler be added later if the noise gets too much? :crazy:

Get notified of new replies

To mid-america chambered ?'s before purchase

Quick Reply: mid-america chambered ?'s before purchase