C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who has 500 horsepower with an electric fan?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 04:33 PM
Corey_68
Team Owner

Received 387 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by MN80Vette
I had a 16" Permicool fan mounted through the core also. I only have 350 hp, not 500, but the fan easily handled the heat, even idling around Car Craft Summer Nationals in late-July heat. The problem was that the through-the-core mounts wore a couple of holes through the core.

I replaced the 16" single with dual-11" shrouded fans off eBay when I recently replaced the radiator using Be Cool fan mounts instead of through-the-core. The shrouded dual-11's bring the temp down noticably faster than the unshrouded single-16.
Are these the fans?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/11-Du...item2eb7fb50fa
Old 09-30-2011, 06:33 PM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 234 Likes on 143 Posts
Toronto Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by The Money Pit
7t2vette,
The single 16 inch Spal I have also been looking at. Spal has three different 16 inch fans,....slim, medium and extreme. Which fan do you run? The 16 inch Permicool I ran last pretty much did work, was rated at 2850 cfm's I think, but mounted through the core, which is something I never really liked.
Okay,I just checked it for you. I have this Spal fan:

http://www.spalusa.com/store/main.as...&item=30102120

Hope this helps.

Originally Posted by Steve Ference
7t2vette,
Sorry this is off subject, but what brand of alternator bracket/tensioner arm are you using on your motor. I haven t found one that works properly yet.
Thanks Steve.
I have the March serpentine conversion kit on my engine. The bracket and tensioner are part of the kit, but I believe you can buy them seperately.

Last edited by 7t2vette; 09-30-2011 at 07:46 PM.
Old 09-30-2011, 06:46 PM
Steve Ference
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks, now i know what WILL fit after i bought one from summit, and one from jegs that didn t, but was told it SHOULD fit.
Steve,
Old 09-30-2011, 07:20 PM
sly vette
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Those with single fan setups,..Could you post some installed pictures.I'd like to get this beast back together soon,....Looking at pictures showing the clearance from the spreader bar and sway bar to the fan shroud. I have a radiator core that's 2 3/4 inches thick, and need to be sure I have enough room for the fan shroud I pick?"
(from post 11)

Why do you need a shroud if you don't have a mechanical fan?
Old 09-30-2011, 07:38 PM
Ganey
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The purpose of a shroud is to allow the fan to pull air through the whole rad. so if one was running one fan it might be possible to use the factory shroud including for mounting. There was a factory C3 aux. electric fan, that mounts in the shroud, used in later years.
Old 09-30-2011, 10:29 PM
MN80Vette
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Corey_68
Not the same seller, but the fans look identical to the pair I have. IIM, I reused the 30A relay I used with the 16" single. I just had to make a T-harness to convert from one to two plugs.
Old 09-30-2011, 11:29 PM
Ray Y
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 2 Posts

DeWitt's radiator with dual SPAL fans. Serpentine system from Miller Speed w/ cogged Gilmer belt. High Flow aluminum water pump & VB&P shock spreader bar. 555 cubes w/ 650+ hp.

I run my fans thermostatic controlled and on only when ignition is on.

Old 10-01-2011, 12:22 AM
vetteguy22
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Ference
7t2vette,
Sorry this is off subject, but what brand of alternator bracket/tensioner arm are you using on your motor. I haven t found one that works properly yet.
Thanks Steve.
I was Looking at that also!
Old 10-01-2011, 11:43 AM
The Money Pit
Melting Slicks

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by 7t2vette
Okay,I just checked it for you. I have this Spal fan:

http://www.spalusa.com/store/main.as...&item=30102120

Hope this helps.

Thank's for checking. The mounts look like BCool mounts for the fan. My core is 2 3/4' thick. Do you think they will work?

This forum is a great place to find things out. Over the years I've helped lots of guys too, and that's what this is all about.

When I get things together I'll post some pics.

Thanks everyone for all the help!
Old 10-01-2011, 11:48 AM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by The Money Pit
Thank's for checking. The mounts look like BCool mounts for the fan. My core is 2 3/4' thick. Do you think they will work?

This forum is a great place to find things out. Over the years I've helped lots of guys too, and that's what this is all about.

When I get things together I'll post some pics.

Thanks everyone for all the help!
Glad to help. Yes, they are the Be Cool mounts, I just checked my rad and it has a 2 1/2" core, so they won't work out of the box.

Old 10-01-2011, 12:16 PM
Billysvette
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Heres mine,a dewitts radiator and one single fan that keeps my engine at 185.dewitts radiator is the fan is a black magic extreme ,moves 3,300 cfm of air and comes with everything you need,thermostat ,relays,wiring ,senser,etc. made by flexalite. also the fan hardly ever runs unless im stopped in traffic and its 90 or better degrees.

Last edited by Billysvette; 10-01-2011 at 12:20 PM.
Old 10-02-2011, 06:07 AM
Jeff's Classics
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

New replacement stock-style radiator with a single '96 Corvette electric fan keeps my 450HP 383 stroker cool all day. Would like to add the second fan for extra cooling in the pits between rounds, but haven't gotten around to making brackets yet.

Also, the March alternator bracket mentioned above is available separately, I'm using that on my 383 as well. Very nice piece!

Jeff
Old 10-02-2011, 07:07 AM
gingerbreadman1977
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i love the 16 extreme spal. they say to use the extreme for drag strip applications and not so much for the street because its 3000cfm fan is probably not going to last forever being so powerful but i have been running 2 of them in separate cars for 4+ years with no problems. for a daily driver i guess the slightly less powerful 2500 spal would be the wise choice.

Old 10-02-2011, 08:38 AM
dboz
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For the money, I think this setup is hard to beat and pretty much a perfect fit, tons of flow and 5 year warranty.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...TQ:MOTORS:1123
Old 10-02-2011, 09:40 AM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by dboz
For the money, I think this setup is hard to beat and pretty much a perfect fit, tons of flow and 5 year warranty.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...TQ:MOTORS:1123
Looks like a cheap no name off-shore rip off of the Spal unit. Sure, it is less than half the price of the real Spal unit, but do you seriously think that EBay fan is just as good as the real Spal unit? Cheap things are cheap for a reason: They are cheap! You really do get what you pay for.

Spal fans are very high quality units, using brushless fully sealed dustproof and waterproof motors. Also, as far as I know, Spal is the only company that lists the airflow CFM of their fans under static pressure, unlike the rest that only list a no static pressure airflow CFM number. Big difference.
Old 10-02-2011, 12:34 PM
Billysvette
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 7t2vette
Looks like a cheap no name off-shore rip off of the Spal unit. Sure, it is less than half the price of the real Spal unit, but do you seriously think that EBay fan is just as good as the real Spal unit? Cheap things are cheap for a reason: They are cheap! You really do get what you pay for.

Spal fans are very high quality units, using brushless fully sealed dustproof and waterproof motors. Also, as far as I know, Spal is the only company that lists the airflow CFM of their fans under static pressure, unlike the rest that only list a no static pressure airflow CFM number. Big difference.
I agree 100% ,but if it works who are we to say any better.
Old 10-02-2011, 02:58 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by gingerbreadman1977
i love the 16 extreme spal. they say to use the extreme for drag strip applications and not so much for the street because its 3000cfm fan is probably not going to last forever being so powerful but i have been running 2 of them in separate cars for 4+ years with no problems. for a daily driver i guess the slightly less powerful 2500 spal would be the wise choice.

If it's a straight blade then you can probably hear it over the motor noise, probably one reason why they say for drag racing, if it were a a warmed over 350ci then it would be louder than the motor sitting at light, correct me if I am wrong but when I have mine on they are louder than my 427ci at idle

Get notified of new replies

To Who has 500 horsepower with an electric fan?

Old 10-02-2011, 07:06 PM
gingerbreadman1977
Drifting

Originally Posted by MotorHead
If it's a straight blade then you can probably hear it over the motor noise, probably one reason why they say for drag racing, if it were a a warmed over 350ci then it would be louder than the motor sitting at light, correct me if I am wrong but when I have mine on they are louder than my 427ci at idle
Possibly motorhead. I have the curved blade so i am not sure how noisy the straight blade would be. To be honest i know Spal makes both straight and curved but i did not know the extreme was available in straight also. My extreme can only just be heard in the car but from outside its easily noticeable to anyone. I like hearing it so i know its on.

Last edited by gingerbreadman1977; 10-02-2011 at 07:34 PM.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:06 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by gingerbreadman1977
possibly motorhead. I have the curved blade so i am not sure how noisy the straight blade would be. To be honest i know spal makes both straight and curved but i did not know the extreme was available in straight and curved. My extreme can only just be heard in the car but from outside its easily noticeable to anyone. I like hearing it so i know its on.
I have a lite for mine, connect to the fan, not the controller or relays. I have a failsafe backup, it is battery disconnect connected straight from my fans to the battery, one big wire so if the controller fails or the relays fail I can still turn them on
Old 10-02-2011, 10:11 PM
gingerbreadman1977
Drifting

Originally Posted by MotorHead
I have a lite for mine, connect to the fan, not the controller or relays. I have a failsafe backup, it is battery disconnect connected straight from my fans to the battery, one big wire so if the controller fails or the relays fail I can still turn them on
Nice one mate. I like the sound of it being fail safe as the fan is one thing we all need working as it should. I gave up on controllers and just have a manual switch to turn on/off because i dont particularly like the accuracy and reliability of sensors . My cooling systems are pretty hardcore so i rarely have to flick the switch.
In all honesty if the stock clutch fan didnt take up so much space, HP i would have stuck with it as thats prob the most bulletproof system of them all.

Quick Reply: Who has 500 horsepower with an electric fan?