C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Differential cover removal thread (69 corvette)

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 06:46 PM
xpoc454
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Differential cover removal thread (69 corvette)

I am trying to replace my differential cover and possibly rear crossmember.

I currently have the spare tire assembly remove as well as the rear spring.

Some one at some point in the past of this car, replaced the differential a 72 differential and put on a non-heavy duty cover.

It looks like something hit the crossmember on the passenger side so I may replace it while I am here.

I've already loosed but not removed, the 2 end crossmember bolts. They were suprisingly easy. Probably from earlier work on the differential.

If, as I have read elsewhere, I want to keep the driveshafts and half shafts still attached, Do I just need to remove the front snubber bushing bolt? Than support differential and finish removing the end crossmember bolts?

Is it also true that the end bolts and rubber get stuck and may be not let the differential drop with out a little help?

Once I get everything free, I assume I let the differential drop a few inches so I can get above the crossmember and take out the 4 bolts.

How far will I need to drop the differential to be able to pull the cover off?

My goal is to currently only replace the cover and the crossmember.

thanks
jim
Old 10-11-2011, 08:47 PM
Rally68
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

While I have never done a partial diff removal as you are describing, you should be able to proceed just as you've described. You will need a large pry bar or a good-size puller to break the crossmember free of the frame mounts. I prefer the puller method, you loosen but do not remove the bolts--as you've already done--and the puller bears on the bolt heads:

I would definitely remove the snubber cushion bolt, and replace the cushion unless it is like new. I'm personally not a fan of poly bushings but this is one application where I'm going to try a poly bushing (purchased but not yet installed).

Use a heavy duty cover, and remember not to torque the spring mounting bolts until the weight of the car is on the spring. Also, coat the crossmember mount "sombreros" with anti-seize before you re-assemble.
Old 10-11-2011, 10:33 PM
xpoc454
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Great advice, I got the cross member off tonight with a crowbar and a lil weight on it.

Now that I am switching from non-heavy duty back to a heavy duty cover, what differential fluid and addititive does most suggest.

I've seen a lot of people say GM fluid and additive, are the brands you can get at the local parts store that much worst? They always seem to be cheaper.

ALso, does anyone know if I need any kind of gasket sealer on the gasket when I put the new cover on?

thanks
again

Get notified of new replies

To Differential cover removal thread (69 corvette)

Quick Reply: Differential cover removal thread (69 corvette)