C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fast EZ-EFI= what type of gas tank?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 11:17 AM
76 sting
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fast EZ-EFI= what type of gas tank?

Hey all....been mia for a while, but about to start my next project. I have been reading all the threads about the fast system and most of y'all are over my head with your capabilities. I dont weld and dont want to spend $800 bucks on a new tank suited for EFI if I don't have to.

What I am thinking about is another corvette tank with a bottom feed that will fit into my 76 without a ton of fab work. I dont like the top feed and dont like the bladder.

Ideally, I would like to bottom feed corvette tank then I can have someone weld a small surge in with new feeds and return lines.

Any ideas on what year tank will fit...if any?

Last edited by 76 sting; 10-11-2011 at 11:19 AM.
Old 10-11-2011, 03:03 PM
SteveG75
Le Mans Master

Received 521 Likes on 351 Posts

Same body style, bottom feed tank. Will need the new sender assembly as well.
Old 10-11-2011, 03:18 PM
76 sting
Pro

Originally Posted by SteveG75

Same body style, bottom feed tank. Will need the new sender assembly as well.
Same mounting straps and location? No bladder needed?

Old 10-11-2011, 03:20 PM
DRIVESHAFT
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Back when this system was first being discussed around here, bluzman2004 was involved in the discussion.
Ron is one of the developers of the system and was running it on his own car.
He had simply spliced the fuel pump into his existing supply line, and was using the stock return line as well. His tank was untouched.
From listening to him it doesn't sound like it was causing him any trouble.
Old 10-11-2011, 04:44 PM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 234 Likes on 143 Posts
Toronto Events Coordinator

This is what I did for my EZ-EFI system. I've posted this before, but I will post it again in case you haven't seen it.

I went with an SS internal fuel pump/sump module kit from Rock Valley, for noise level and because of the design that traps fuel around the pickup. It cost $375 including the Walbro pump, and is very well made. It is made to fit the stock tank. If my tank wasn't basically brand new, I would have went with the complete Rock Valley SS tank and fuel pump/sump. I had my local race shop weld it in my tank for me, then I custom bent SS hardlines for it. I then painted the tank.

Here is my tank installed in the car:

No problems with this set up after a year of use. The pickup has never gone dry under any situation, and I have ran it almost completely empty a few times.

Old 10-11-2011, 05:06 PM
76 sting
Pro

Originally Posted by 7t2vette
This is what I did for my EZ-EFI system. I've posted this before, but I will post it again in case you haven't seen it.

I went with an SS internal fuel pump/sump module kit from Rock Valley, for noise level and because of the design that traps fuel around the pickup. It cost $375 including the Walbro pump, and is very well made. It is made to fit the stock tank. If my tank wasn't basically brand new, I would have went with the complete Rock Valley SS tank and fuel pump/sump. I had my local race shop weld it in my tank for me, then I custom bent SS hardlines for it. I then painted the tank.

No problems with this set up after a year of use. The pickup has never gone dry under any situation, and I have ran it almost completely empty a few times.

You did a very professional job...seriously! and yes I saw your earlier post with pics...again crazy nice job you did!!

I think your cost will be tripple mine, but I also know that yours is a better system for sure.

I think I am going to switch to a 74 tank with bottom feed, no bladder, and use both return lines on the tank from Zip's. They said the 74 tank has a LH and RH side return. So I was thinking of splitting the -6 return at the rear of the car and use both returns. $276 for the tank, sender, gaskets etc.

Does this sound ok to you guys?? Something tells me I am off.

I will never run the tank past 1/4 unless I am at the track (saving weight)

Old 10-11-2011, 06:32 PM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 76 sting
You did a very professional job...seriously! and yes I saw your earlier post with pics...again crazy nice job you did!!

I think your cost will be tripple mine, but I also know that yours is a better system for sure.

I think I am going to switch to a 74 tank with bottom feed, no bladder, and use both return lines on the tank from Zip's. They said the 74 tank has a LH and RH side return. So I was thinking of splitting the -6 return at the rear of the car and use both returns. $276 for the tank, sender, gaskets etc.

Does this sound ok to you guys?? Something tells me I am off.

I will never run the tank past 1/4 unless I am at the track (saving weight)

Sorry for posting them again since you already saw them, I don't want to be a pic posting *****, I just want to help!

Instead of splitting the return, just remove the return nipple from the tank on the side you will have your return line on (they are only soldered in, easily removed with heat from a flame) and drill a bigger hole for a fuel cell bulkhead fitting:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-220682/
Old 10-12-2011, 01:41 PM
76 sting
Pro

Sorry for posting them again since you already saw them, I don't want to be a pic posting *****, I just want to help!

Instead of splitting the return, just remove the return nipple from the tank on the side you will have your return line on (they are only soldered in, easily removed with heat from a flame) and drill a bigger hole for a fuel cell bulkhead fitting:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-220682/
Ahhhhh sweet!!! I knew I would get a few good ideas sooner of later. thanks to SteveG75 and 7T2vette!!

I just spotted another quick question what is that black thing connected to the return line (I think) on the right side of the tank?

Old 10-13-2011, 05:27 PM
76 sting
Pro

Ahhhhh sweet!!! I knew I would get a few good ideas sooner of later. thanks to SteveG75 and 7T2vette!!

I just spotted another quick question what is that black thing connected to the return line (I think) on the right side of the tank?

Another change...Ron (Bluzman2004) convinced me to go with the intank fuel sender.

WOW what a setup!!!! can't wait to get started.

Thanks again Ron!

Old 10-13-2011, 06:24 PM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

Another change...Ron (Bluzman2004) convinced me to go with the intank fuel sender.

Thanks again Ron!

Which setup are you going with?
Old 10-13-2011, 11:08 PM
76 sting
Pro

The master kit with the inline fuel pump, 74 tank (your sugestion) using the 3/8 supply line as the return and a bulkhead fitting for the supply.

what do you think?

Old 10-14-2011, 12:23 AM
MN80Vette
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Thanks again Ron!

The master kit with the inline fuel pump, 74 tank (your sugestion) using the 3/8 supply line as the return and a bulkhead fitting for the supply.

what do you think?

OK, it's really late, I have a cold, and the Nyquil is taking, so please give me some slack if the answer is obvious.....

I have an '80 and FAST EZ is the next mod on my list. It sounds like you guys have a solution, but the description is spread across a bunch of posts that you guys understand but a FAST EZ newbie like might not understand.

Would you please summarize the gas tank configuration/solution?

Sincerely appreciated.
Old 10-14-2011, 08:04 AM
76 sting
Pro

Originally Posted by MN80Vette
OK, it's really late, I have a cold, and the Nyquil is taking, so please give me some slack if the answer is obvious.....

I have an '80 and FAST EZ is the next mod on my list. It sounds like you guys have a solution, but the description is spread across a bunch of posts that you guys understand but a FAST EZ newbie like might not understand.

Sincerely appreciated.
I am not tofamiliar with the 80's vette, but if the set up is the same you can do the same thing.

I used a 74 corvette gas tank on my 76 because the sender and feed lines face the bottom (road) instead of on top of the tank. I did this for ease of access in the future and to get rid of the bladder on the tank.

The Fast package with in tank fuel pump will be installed inside the tank and supply fuel via a bulkhead fitting probably 3-4 inches away fromn the sending unit (just drill a hole and screw in the fitting). Installing the bulkhead fitting is supper easy and no special tools are required. Since there will be a new supply line (bulkhead one ) the old supply line in the sending unit is not being used, so I will use that line as my return line.

I hope that helps

Old 10-14-2011, 09:24 AM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

what do you think?

The fuel pump inline (external) or the intank kit? If you went with the intank kit, how does the fuel pump mount inside the tank? From the pic on the FAST website of the intank kit, it just shows the pump.

Old 10-14-2011, 12:30 PM
c3_dk
Safety Car

Received 381 Likes on 294 Posts

Or you can keep it simple and cheap

Old 10-14-2011, 12:55 PM
DRIVESHAFT
Drifting

Originally Posted by MN80Vette

Sincerely appreciated.
Since you have an '80, I would expect that you could use the in tank sender from an '82, that already came with a fuel pump in the tank.
I cant swear to it though, because I havent seen one of the EZ EFI in tank pump kits yet.
Old 10-14-2011, 12:59 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by DRIVESHAFT
Since you have an '80, I would expect that you could use the in tank sender from an '82, that already came with a fuel pump in the tank.
I cant swear to it though, because I havent seen one of the EZ EFI in tank pump kits yet.
Not sure what psi the Fast system uses but the 82 CFI unit only puts out like 14 to 16 psi. Most of the newer systems run in the 30 to 60 psi range.

Get notified of new replies

To Fast EZ-EFI= what type of gas tank?

Old 10-14-2011, 01:12 PM
c3_dk
Safety Car

Received 381 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by Gordonm
Not sure what psi the Fast system uses but the 82 CFI unit only puts out like 14 to 16 psi. Most of the newer systems run in the 30 to 60 psi range.
it is 43psi
Old 10-14-2011, 01:24 PM
DRIVESHAFT
Drifting

Originally Posted by Gordonm
I dont think the pressure should present a problem.
The short lengths of factory rubber hose are easily replaced with high pressure rubber hoses.
In fact the EZ EFI kit comes with rubber fuel line.
The kit says it comes with a Walbro 255 LPH in tank high pressure pump.
I know that Walbro makes such a pump that will mount to a stock 82 sending unit, but I dont know if thats what is included in the EZ EFI kit.
Old 10-14-2011, 10:12 PM
76 sting
Pro

Originally Posted by c3_dk
Or you can keep it simple and cheap

That is simple, but doesn't solve the noise or a way to keep the pump cool.

But overall covers the supply and return out of the tank

Quick Reply: Fast EZ-EFI= what type of gas tank?