C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Patriot Headers/Magnaflow/Dual Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 09:58 PM
Mark Hawkins
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Patriot Headers/Magnaflow/Dual Exhaust

Any comments or suggestion on the Dual Exhaust System with Patriot Headers with Magnaflow Mufflers that Corvette Central offers. I have an 81 that I'm thinking I want to change out the stock exhaust. I want to dual it out and remove the Catalytic Converter. Thanks.
Old 10-27-2011, 10:19 PM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

I have what is essentialy the exact same system from Corvette Central on my 1980. I like the magnaflow mufflers, and the exhaust pipes are aluminized and look to be holding up pretty well after 3 years, and the ceramic coated block hugger headers still look nice, no leaks, no interference with any other parts, it has two O2 sensor bungs, and an h-pipe crossover, it's a pretty nice system all in all. It didn't come with any directions whatsoever, you kind of have to be a little creative with hanging it, and sometimes I really wish I had long tube headers, only negatives I can come up with for it.

Scott
Old 10-27-2011, 11:11 PM
Mark Hawkins
Instructor

Thanks Scott.
Old 10-27-2011, 11:52 PM
MN80Vette
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I can't speak for the dual exhaust/Magnaflow kit Corvette Central sells, but I have full length headers with 2 1/2" mandrel bent true dual pipes with an X-pipe and Magnafllow mufflers. That setup really flows well and has a deep sound at any speed without the deafening drone of chambered mufflers and a "Officer, officer! Look at me! Look at me!" roar during sprited acceleration.
Old 10-28-2011, 03:26 PM
Mark Hawkins
Instructor

Originally Posted by scottyp99
I have what is essentialy the exact same system from Corvette Central on my 1980. I like the magnaflow mufflers, and the exhaust pipes are aluminized and look to be holding up pretty well after 3 years, and the ceramic coated block hugger headers still look nice, no leaks, no interference with any other parts, it has two O2 sensor bungs, and an h-pipe crossover, it's a pretty nice system all in all. It didn't come with any directions whatsoever, you kind of have to be a little creative with hanging it, and sometimes I really wish I had long tube headers, only negatives I can come up with for it.

Scott
Scott, why would you rather have had the long tube headers? I read that these sometimes will hit parking lot speed bumps.

Mark
Old 10-28-2011, 03:28 PM
Mark Hawkins
Instructor

Originally Posted by MN80Vette
I can't speak for the dual exhaust/Magnaflow kit Corvette Central sells, but I have full length headers with 2 1/2" mandrel bent true dual pipes with an X-pipe and Magnafllow mufflers. That setup really flows well and has a deep sound at any speed without the deafening drone of chambered mufflers and a "Officer, officer! Look at me! Look at me!" roar during sprited acceleration.
Did you remove the Catalytic Converter?
Old 10-28-2011, 07:01 PM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Hawkins
Scott, why would you rather have had the long tube headers? I read that these sometimes will hit parking lot speed bumps.

Mark
Well, I originally got the system because it was a good deal for what it was, and I needed a new exhaust system pretty quickly, and I am happy with it, but sometimes I can't help but think that I am leaving some power "on the table", so to speak. And you can get long tube headers that won't bottom out.

Scott
Old 10-29-2011, 12:55 AM
MN80Vette
Drifting

Did you remove the Catalytic Converter?
What catalytic converter? I don't remember ny car having a catalytic converter when I bought it.
Old 10-29-2011, 12:57 AM
MN80Vette
Drifting

Mark
If my long tube ceramic-coated headers ever hit anything, the about a half dozen other parts hit harder, including my R&P steering system, trackion bar, valance, exhaust pipes, and maybe even my oil pan.
Old 10-29-2011, 10:18 PM
jbaron
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2017 C3 of the Year Finalist

I have that system from CC on my '74. No problems and it sounds great!
Old 10-29-2011, 10:45 PM
bluedawg
Safety Car

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

Mark
My long tubes on my 76 almost never scrap & never on a speed bump.
Old 11-01-2011, 12:58 PM
rafalc
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MN80Vette
Hey....do you recall where you got this setup from? I am looking to upgrade my 1970 to a similar setup that you have.....full length heads, 2.5 X-pipe and either magnaflow or Flowmaster mufflers. I am in the researching/pricing stage. Any info would help.

After putting this setup in did you notice any change in power right away?

Thanks
Old 11-02-2011, 08:57 AM
MN80Vette
Drifting

Originally Posted by rafalc
Hey....do you recall where you got this setup from? I am looking to upgrade my 1970 to a similar setup that you have.....full length heads, 2.5 X-pipe and either magnaflow or Flowmaster mufflers. I am in the researching/pricing stage. Any info would help.

After putting this setup in did you notice any change in power right away?

Thanks
I made my exhaust system myself by welding together different mandrel bent parts I bought online from Summit, eBay, etc. I posted some of the details and cost with pics:

Homemade 2.5” mandrel bent true dual exhaust system

I had a true dual exhaust before this one, but not 2 1/2" nor mandrel bent. Yes, I noticed more torque on my buttometer.
Old 06-23-2013, 08:55 PM
80-81vetteguy
Intermediate

looking at exhausts myself the corvette central setup seems to be the easiest they really talk up how much better aluminized pipes are to stainless steal but yes I am concerned about those shorty patriot headers that I wont get all the hp I could get out of long or even mid-sized. would it be worth it to cut the pipes on the cc setup and put some longer headers??

found this too very interesting makes the cc setup look like the way to go

http://tech.corvettecentral.com/2011...ystem-install/
Old 06-23-2013, 09:45 PM
rafalc
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 80-81vetteguy
looking at exhausts myself the corvette central setup seems to be the easiest they really talk up how much better aluminized pipes are to stainless steal but yes I am concerned about those shorty patriot headers that I wont get all the hp I could get out of long or even mid-sized. would it be worth it to cut the pipes on the cc setup and put some longer headers??

found this too very interesting makes the cc setup look like the way to go

http://tech.corvettecentral.com/2011...ystem-install/
Wait..... aluminized better than SS? What is their reasoning? I must have missed it or they just put it up recently.....
Old 06-23-2013, 09:54 PM
80-81vetteguy
Intermediate

http://www.corvettecentralexhaust.com/about/

scroll down this link half way to "Why Aluminized for 53-82 Exhaust?"

talks about the shrinking of ss and retension for heat

Get notified of new replies

To Patriot Headers/Magnaflow/Dual Exhaust

Quick Reply: Patriot Headers/Magnaflow/Dual Exhaust