C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heater Core brands - which is best?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 03:20 PM
KevinG
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Heater Core brands - which is best?

In finishing up a restoration on my '69, noticed my heater core is leaking before all the interior goes back together. So I need to replace the heater core. Read that going with a GM/AC Delco heater core is the best route - however I can't find any vendors that sell that brand (did they discontinue parts on our beloved C3?) The brands I have been seeing are Spectra, APDI, & Vista Pro.

Leaning towards APDI since they are based out of TX and beat oem standards. It is $60 for the one without A/C.

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sk...DI9010136.html
Old 11-07-2011, 03:59 PM
markids77
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The best one is the one that's in stock when you need it. If you're comfortable with the APDI then it's the one for you.
Old 11-07-2011, 04:28 PM
qtlow
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Napa

I went through this myself about a year ago. I found that all the heater cores no matter where you get it from are the same and made over seas except for NAPA's. There's were made in Mexico and of noticeably better quality.
If your leaking core is the original I would talk to a reputable radiator shop about possibly having it rodded and re-soldered. Because none of them will be of the quality or fit as well as your original.
Old 02-28-2013, 01:10 AM
tammi6523
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would say look for a heater core that is made of copper rather than aluminum. Don't know which brands stil ue copper. I am also not a Dexcool fan. The stuff works but I believe that etylene glycol based antifreeze/coolant gives the cooling system more corrosion protection.

Gas Furnace Replacement

Last edited by tammi6523; 03-02-2013 at 02:53 AM.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:37 AM
rponfick
Drifting

Received 136 Likes on 88 Posts

You are lucky to be catching it now. When everything is apart, it still is not a fun project, but on fully assembled car, you only want to have that experience once.

Ralph
Old 02-28-2013, 08:46 AM
jdp6000
Melting Slicks

I bought the AC Delco from the dealer a couple of years ago. It was pricey but a perfect fit. You don't want to do this twice.

J
Old 02-28-2013, 08:46 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Do you have a radiator shop near you? They can clean and seal your original core.

Old 02-28-2013, 08:52 AM
ezobens
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

I just went through this earlier this week.
Bought a new AC Delco heater core from Rock Auto a year ago and discovered that it wasn't even an AC Delco part inside the AC Delco box!
Unfortunately, a year later, I'm stuck with it.

Note to self:
Inspect EVERYTHING upon arrival- This isn't the first time I've gotten used/or wrong parts in the right box from Rock Auto.

Anyway, when I tried to fit it to the housing, the tubes weren't even close to fitting and the one tube had such a bad solder joint that the pipe came out in my hand (no, I wasn't trying to bend it either)!

I took it to my local radiator shop (with the housing) and they were able to set the tubes perfectly, tack the tubes together for better strength and pressure tested the unit. They even mounted it back in the housing for me.
The best $40 I spent!

With as sensitive as these cores are to tube location (A/C cars), I wouldn't put another one of these cores in without having it checked out first by a local shop.
It's not so much the materials used being bad as the method of assembly that stinks with these aftermarket cores.
My core was of good quality, it was the assembly and QC that was lacking.
Had I just installed mine without noticing the bad joint on the tube, I would have been doing this all over again.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:00 AM
jdp6000
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ezobens
I just went through this earlier this week.
Bought a new AC Delco heater core from Rock Auto a year ago and discovered that it wasn't even an AC Delco part inside the AC Delco box!
Unfortunately, a year later, I'm stuck with it.

Note to self:
Inspect EVERYTHING upon arrival- This isn't the first time I've gotten used/or wrong parts in the right box from Rock Auto.

Anyway, when I tried to fit it to the housing, the tubes weren't even close to fitting and the one tube had such a bad solder joint that the pipe came out in my hand (no, I wasn't trying to bend it either)!

I took it to my local radiator shop (with the housing) and they were able to set the tubes perfectly, tack the tubes together for better strength and pressure tested the unit. They even mounted it back in the housing for me.
The best $40 I spent!

With as sensitive as these cores are to tube location (A/C cars), I wouldn't put another one of these cores in without having it checked out first by a local shop.
It's not so much the materials used being bad as the method of assembly that stinks with these aftermarket cores.
My core was of good quality, it was the assembly and QC that was lacking.
Had I just installed mine without noticing the bad joint on the tube, I would have been doing this all over again.

And stress that if you have to bend the pipes take it back. The delco I bought was identical to the original.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:12 AM
yyz1970
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Just bought one from corvette central
Made in Mexico
Looks the same as the original
reasonable price
Old 02-28-2013, 07:50 PM
AP4EVER
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No matter which one you buy, take it to a radiator shop and have it pressure tested. Well worth the peace of mind. Cost me $10 to have mine tested.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:00 PM
68post
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

All good advice ! Problems such as these are definately all to common, the same problem happened to my good friend. Wrong tube bends, tried to fit it in , broke the tube loose and had to have it reconfigured and repaired/reinforced properly.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:03 PM
American Raven
C3 Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by qtlow
I went through this myself about a year ago. I found that all the heater cores no matter where you get it from are the same and made over seas except for NAPA's. There's were made in Mexico and of noticeably better quality.
Ditto for me. The radiator shop's owner told me that the Mexican heater cores were about the best that can be found today.

Who would have ever thought that "made In Mexico" would have ever been equated with "quality" of any kind?
Old 02-28-2013, 08:50 PM
Jud Chapin
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 417 Likes on 288 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

IMO, stay away from Autozone and the like as the cores are of poor quality and don't fit.
Old 03-02-2013, 12:04 AM
RU7376vettes
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

I put new heater cores in my 73 and 76 when I restored the several years ago. Both of them eventually started leaking after installation. The initial ones (which leaked) were purchased from a Corvette supplier. I got replacements for them from a national auto parts chain (Orielly's) and they were made by Murray. I was impressed with their quality, good brass construction, well soldered, much better than what I took out and fit was spot on. The initial ones I installed during the restoration were also brass, but soldering and fit of the tubes was suspect and that is what failed. Replace them when the car is apart as they are not a silly half hour job to replace.
Good Luck,
Unk
Old 03-02-2013, 10:41 AM
drwet
Melting Slicks

Received 538 Likes on 413 Posts

Originally Posted by jdp6000
I bought the AC Delco from the dealer a couple of years ago. It was pricey but a perfect fit. You don't want to do this twice.

J
Take it from a guy who's done his twice. Got about 12 years out of the first one before the solder joints let go. I got my replacement through Rock Auto. Piece of s**t. I soldered a brace between the tubes to help strengthen them. I also pressure tested it by connecting a couple of heater hoses to it with a tire valve. Pressurized the core and left it over night. Came back in the morning and it was still holding pressure. At least I know it doesn't leak now. How long its going to last...???
Old 03-02-2013, 01:15 PM
roscobbc
Drifting

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

Bought one off Summit Racing for my '68 2 or 3 years ago - it was the cheapest available - I just added to a load of other bits and pieces to keep carriage to UK down in price. Nothing wrong with it - it heats, it does not leak - all I wanted from it

Get notified of new replies

To Heater Core brands - which is best?

Old 01-25-2020, 01:05 PM
zuendler
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

7 years later: any news to this topic?
Is the APDI copper core from rockauto recomended, or is the aluminium from Spectra better?
Or where to get a good core otherwise? I don´t want to replace the core again in a few years.
Old 01-25-2020, 07:53 PM
sr'71
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

3 time vet here .. No replacement cores are silver soldered , your local radiator shop can repair this. After pulling 2 cores , I realized that I could remove the core from the engine side. I don't have A/C, , a few bolts , the firewall comes out with the core attached to it. Bring the new core and firewall to the radiator shop so they can silver solder the tubes exactly where the tubes need to go. ........ Install ......no leaks !!!!
Old 01-26-2020, 06:05 PM
zuendler
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

I have just ordered both types. Will see wich one is better, that goes in. And the other one will I sell locally.

Quick Reply: Heater Core brands - which is best?