C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I drive on new cam BEFORE break-in?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 11:45 AM
neuroclast
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I drive on new cam BEFORE break-in?

I just got a new flat tappet cam to replace my old one w/a wiped lobe. Problem is I live in an apartment complex and I don't think my neighbors would like 30 minutes of my 383/sidepipes at @ 3000 rpm.

Can I drive it very carefully maybe 2 miles to do the breakin, or would this damage it?

Thanks guys!
Old 11-19-2011, 11:51 AM
larrywalk
Melting Slicks

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

Break it in first!
Old 11-19-2011, 11:54 AM
rcread
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 96 Posts

I pick 11 in the number of lobes you are going to wipe contest.
Old 11-19-2011, 11:59 AM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

The life of a flat tappet cam is decided in the first 15 minutes. You don't even want to run it on the starter! Be sure the engine fires right away and immediately to 2000+ rpm.

Can you take time off and do it while people are at work/school?
Old 11-19-2011, 01:17 PM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

I'm with the group here - you have to do the break-in, neighbors or no. You could limit the time to 15 or 20 minutes, and drop the RPM to 2500 or so...but that's about as far as you can go. Can you and a couple of guys PUSH it down the road a ways?

Not to beat a dead horse, but you're using break-in oil or a break-in additive, right? And you'll be pre-oiling?
Old 11-19-2011, 01:28 PM
rcread
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 96 Posts

Put it on a trailer, drive it to an industrial area and break it in there.
Old 11-19-2011, 02:32 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Not encouraging this as the others are right but I have done just that.
Fired it up set timing and start driving it just kept the rpms up.
Eventually went flat around 1000 mi. XE284 FT but so did every Comp cam "XE" I used and they were all broken in properly.
That was back in the 90s too when there was plenty of "good" oil around.
Old 11-19-2011, 03:54 PM
Tim H
Safety Car

Received 103 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Not encouraging this as the others are right but I have done just that.
Fired it up set timing and start driving it just kept the rpms up.
Where can you drive 30 mins in a strait line at 2000 rpms at?
Old 11-19-2011, 07:08 PM
neuroclast
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Haha ok, just thought I would check. I guess I will do it during a weekday at around 2PM and hope nobody calls the cops on me :]

And yeah, I have 16oz of Lucas break in additive, plus new oil, plus cam/lifter lube I will be using.

My XE274H that I have now (and didn't install, previous owner did) wiped the very back lobe after like 5K miles. Hoping this one lasts a little longer, although I only put maybe 500 miles on it a year now.

Thanks again!
Old 11-19-2011, 07:14 PM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

All good

I've installed many, many Xtreme Energy cams and never had an issue. Right springs, right oil and correctly adjusted valves and you'll have no issues.
Old 11-19-2011, 09:14 PM
terry82
Le Mans Master

Received 158 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by Tim H
from fort wayne to indy is two hours all highway .1800 rpm puts me at 60 mph .could always put it in drive not overdrive for more rpm and not have to worry about the car overheating just sitting there.
Old 11-19-2011, 09:45 PM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

I am thinking about a cam upgrade in the future, and so have been doing alot of reading on the subject of camshaft break in, and most everything I have found says that, literally, the first few seconds of the engine running are crucial to proper cam break in. Like, to the point of pressurizing the oiling system and setting timing and carb up to ensure that the engine starts on the first crank, then zoom! right up to 3000 rpm, no warm up or anything. So, I would guess that just idling down to the on ramp could cause a problem. Just my 2 cents worth, hope it was helpful.

Scott
Old 11-19-2011, 09:54 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by terry82
from fort wayne to indy is two hours all highway .1800 rpm puts me at 60 mph .could always put it in drive not overdrive for more rpm and not have to worry about the car overheating just sitting there.
Considering what happens during a cam break in... wouldn't want to drive it 2 hours without an oil change. As soon as that cam break in is done, get that nastiness outta there.
Old 11-19-2011, 10:28 PM
alswagg
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Think about this, Do you really think that GM ran every single flat cam engine for 30 minutes before driving the car out of the assy area? Or for every other flat cam engine in any other production area breaking these in? I highly dought it. On every engine build we do, we first prime the engine with quality engine oil. Set intitial timing, usually within +- 2* of within specs. Prime with coolant, and start it. Sure we vary the throttle some, double check for leaks, set timing accordingly. Once satified all is good, we install in the unit. We do not run at a constant rpm for any particular time at all. How many engines per year do we replace? on average 7 to 10 Not a huge amount, but with 0 failures for the past 25 years, I think we must be doing something correct. Maybe not? Al
Old 11-19-2011, 10:38 PM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by alswagg
Think about this, Do you really think that GM ran every single flat cam engine for 30 minutes before driving the car out of the assy area? Or for every other flat cam engine in any other production area breaking these in? I highly dought it. On every engine build we do, we first prime the engine with quality engine oil. Set intitial timing, usually within +- 2* of within specs. Prime with coolant, and start it. Sure we vary the throttle some, double check for leaks, set timing accordingly. Once satified all is good, we install in the unit. We do not run at a constant rpm for any particular time at all. How many engines per year do we replace? on average 7 to 10 Not a huge amount, but with 0 failures for the past 25 years, I think we must be doing something correct. Maybe not? Al
Are those all engines with mild, stock type cams, or do ya do some with big, nasty aggressive cams, too? Because, yeah, you definitely have a point there.

Scott
Old 11-19-2011, 10:58 PM
alswagg
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We build reliable OEM engines. All are Marine versions, with Marine Cams. All are from 260 hp to 330 hp in Small block versions, Big blocks are from 330 to 525 hp. Al
Old 11-19-2011, 11:07 PM
cv67
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by Tim H
ARound my place probably on jackstands lol.

Knew as soon as I fired it up I wasnt going to like the cam so figured what the hell quit worrrying and drive it whatever happens happens. When I tore the engine apart bearings were nice and clean fortunately after losing a lobe

Seriously I didnt think it made a difference. Timed it tossed it in D and went just avoided a complete stop or if I did tossed it in N. Drove it around for a bit came back dumped the oil and hit it.

Sure Gm didnt do that but look at the low lifts, gentle ramps sub 100lb spring pressures. I get it.

Get notified of new replies

To Can I drive on new cam BEFORE break-in?

Old 11-19-2011, 11:08 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Yep, never had a failure...in fact this is the only place that I ran across that 20-30 minute stuff

Originally Posted by scottyp99
Are those all engines with mild, stock type cams, or do ya do some with big, nasty aggressive cams, too? Because, yeah, you definitely have a point there.

Scott
engines from top fuel nitro to brand new crate engines...L-88`s, A990`s LS-7`s or whatever...check oil pressure, warm them up and there ready for action....no rituals, just common sense
Old 11-19-2011, 11:28 PM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

We build reliable OEM engines. All are Marine versions, with Marine Cams. All are from 260 hp to 330 hp in Small block versions, Big blocks are from 330 to 525 hp. Al
A 330 hp small block, and a 525 hp big block, I would tend to think these are not stock "RV" type cams, but pretty healthy, performance cams. Very interesting.

Ya know, I don't really have any practical experience with this sort of thing, but now I'm beginning to wonder if the "traditional" cam break-in procedure (2,000-3,000 rpm for 30 minutes) might actually be the cause of some of these cam failures.

As if the water wasn't already muddied up enough, anyway!!!! Well, I guess if you're like me, with no experience to speak of of my own, ya just have to pick somebody who sounds like they know what they are talking about, and trust their judgement.

Scott
Old 11-19-2011, 11:34 PM
cv67
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05

Doubt they broke them in OR primed the engine either, sure some assy lube was used. Really, soon as you turn the key and fire it has oil pressure right now anyway

Quick Reply: Can I drive on new cam BEFORE break-in?