C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dual Clutch - 7 speed

Old 12-26-2011, 10:15 PM
kaiserbud
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like the paddle shifter too - just want the most gears I can get...
Old 12-27-2011, 05:14 AM
aussiejohn
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Default I know what you mean!

Originally Posted by roscobbc
There is always the Wilson pre-selector gearbox - usually a 4 speed device often fitted to Armstrong Siddeley cars and some Daimlers up the late 50's/early 60's. Used a fluid flywheel rather than a torque converter - featured a tiny 1"or so x 1" gate shifter on a 'pod' next to steering wheel. Idea was to select gear (say 1st), press 'clutch' pedal (which wasn't actually a clutch - it simply activated your chosen gear), car would remain stationary until you hit the gas, when the fluid fywheel would act like a high-stall torque converter and you pulled away. Repeat action again with selector and actuator for next gear. This was also seen on London Buses from the period. Semi-auto I guess would be the simplest description, but with manual selection.
rosco,
I have been driving buses for just on 18 years now, and up until about five years ago, my company still had a couple of old Leyland buses with a similar transmission. There was no clutch pedal though, only acc. and brake. When you wanted to take off, you just engaged first and depressed the acc. pedal.

When you wanted second, you pulled it into "neutral" and backed off the acc. When you heard the revs drop, you pulled it into second and reapplied the gas, and so on. This method gave very smooth upshifts. You could just keep your foot on the pedal and pull the lever straight into second, but this gave a jerky shift in the lower gears.

For downshifting, I would go from fourth to third with the lever, but would leave it in the neutral position for a second as I revved up the engine and the shift to third was quite smooth.

Ahhh, brings back memories.

Regards from Down Under.

aussiejohn
Old 12-27-2011, 05:33 AM
roscobbc
Drifting

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by aussiejohn
rosco,
I have been driving buses for just on 18 years now, and up until about five years ago, my company still had a couple of old Leyland buses with a similar transmission. There was no clutch pedal though, only acc. and brake. When you wanted to take off, you just engaged first and depressed the acc. pedal.

When you wanted second, you pulled it into "neutral" and backed off the acc. When you heard the revs drop, you pulled it into second and reapplied the gas, and so on. This method gave very smooth upshifts. You could just keep your foot on the pedal and pull the lever straight into second, but this gave a jerky shift in the lower gears.

For downshifting, I would go from fourth to third with the lever, but would leave it in the neutral position for a second as I revved up the engine and the shift to third was quite smooth.

Ahhh, brings back memories.

Regards from Down Under.

aussiejohn
Thanks for memories Johnnie Boy! - as a kid I used to stand behind the driver on the lower deck and be fascinated by the gear shifting!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dual Clutch - 7 speed