C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please help me verify 22" wheel fitment on my 81.(BeeJays Specs)

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 10:48 AM
Mewn
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts

Default Please help me verify 22" wheel fitment on my 81.(BeeJays Specs)

I am purchasing a solid axle rear end from Autofab and I am working on making it fit a 10.5" wide 22" wheel with a +35 offset. I want to run a 295/22/25 on the rear and a 20" wheel on the front.

I do not like the idea of wheel adaptors on the rear of a 600+ HP/TQ setup, so I am building the rear to use the 5x120 5th Gen Camaro wheel bolt pattern and spacing. I came to this decision after pricing other wheel types and styles and I believe the Camaro staggered setup is the best price and size for my needs.

BeeJay states he is running a C5 Z06 18x10.5" wheel with a +58 offset and a 2" wheel adaptor. *Thanks very much to BeeJay for all the information he provided on frame modifications and fitment.* To my calculations this puts his setup at roughly a 6.03" backspacing? So with a +35 offset on same width, I would need a 1" wheel adaptor, or my rear end width to be 1" wider on each side? BeeJay - if you are available, would you go + or - any fractions of an inch if you could for better fitment?

Would appreciate any help verifying my calculations before starting the build.

Merry Christmas and thank you!

Photoshopped 22s

The car...

Last edited by Mewn; 12-21-2011 at 11:32 AM.
Old 12-21-2011, 12:30 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,329 Likes on 1,057 Posts

I can't speak for BeeJay, but I don't believe that you can go over 5 inches of BS. on the rear. Tall tires get very close to the frame rails.

Only 600 hp is pretty low, so adapters are not a big deal. I have had 2 inch adapters now for over 10 years and I use rear 13 inch wheels. What breaks is the posi units and the outer spindles. All the other HD items seem to last (yokes, 1350's, half shafts).

I personally would only go to a straight rear axle if I was doing lots of drag racing with over 700 hp.

I have worked on some very high HP Ford 9 inch IRS setups that are able to put big power to the ground.
Old 12-21-2011, 01:20 PM
Mewn
Pro

The 5th Gen Camaro wheel fitment offers the most modern size tires, not Corvette taxed, and lots of style options. Why not build to fit while I am doing it?
I do not doubt that wheel adaptors are strong enough, just no need for them on the rear. I will use them on the front.

I have been planning on a solid axle rear for 20 years ever since I broke my first 2.73 ring gear, just got to the point where I am ready. Bought the Autofab 4 link kit years ago anticipating this project.. I do not take the car out very often and when I do I am not looking for cornering, all roads are straight in Florida.. haha Just want to be able to relentlessly hammer my parts without breaking them.

Planning ahead, a blown streetable 572 or larger and a set of slicks are in my cars distant future, for rare visits to the track..

Excited to be able to try out my TKO-600 properly!

Last edited by Mewn; 12-21-2011 at 02:36 PM.
Old 12-21-2011, 06:49 PM
Bee Jay
Safety Car

Received 543 Likes on 198 Posts

I'm at 6" backspacing and could go in another 1/2" to 3/4" before rubbing the frame where it kicks out for the shock mounts. But, even at 6", I had to do some serious frame notching and sway bar modding. I hope to run C6 Z06 wheels someday, but those 19x12" wheels will stick out 3/4 to 1" from where I am now. I could go 1/2" more out without looking bad or needing flares. I would go for some very moderate, minimal flares to cover 1" of wheel and tire, as long as they looked very stock and would fool the casual observer.
Of course, I have no idea what 22" wheels would do.
Bee Jay
Old 12-22-2011, 10:07 PM
Mewn
Pro

Thanks for the help BeeJay, I am going to just buy the wheels and hopefully bring them with the car to Autofab and let them tuck them in there so I know it is done right.
I was always planning on flares and but the more I see them, the more I dont want them. They look great at some angles but at others they just look like they protrude unnaturally. I will have to be happy with stock fenders and a 295 tire. Another bonus for my build is that is also one huge step I can bypass before I go for paint.
Old 12-23-2011, 02:02 AM
bluegtp
Drifting

Received 287 Likes on 128 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Just a quick thought. I've thought about the c6 wheels too. A few guys around my area have had thier wheels cut and widened. So I've thought about doing the same with the c6 wheels but taking 1"-1.5" out to make them work. Not sure on pricing though and if it's worth three money. The company that did the wheel work had some nice pretty welds and these guys have never had any issues with thier wheels being widened.
Old 12-23-2011, 08:57 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Old 12-24-2011, 08:57 AM
Mewn
Pro

That is some funny **** Motorhead. I was not planning on doing the lift.. Those look like 26" to me. I can't stay in the dark ages with tiny brakes and big *** sidewalls forever...

This is the look I am going for:

This is my camaro on 22" wheels, not exactly a 4x4 Donk as you choose to depict...

Old 12-24-2011, 01:45 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Those are 40's they make the 22's look like 15's, all you gotta do it widen the wheel wells a bit. Hows the ride with the 22's looks like they just wrapped a piece of rubber around the rim ?

5.5" backspacing is it with an 18" and I believe it gets less and less as the tire diameter goes up, nothing can be done except a big notch in the frame.

And don't worry I am not making fun, I used to do the same thing with 18's and now I have them on mine. I would be worried about hitting a pothole or curb and ruining an expensive rim at 22"

Last edited by MotorHead; 12-24-2011 at 01:52 PM.
Old 12-24-2011, 03:16 PM
Mewn
Pro

The Camaro rides extremely smooth. It is a 25 series tire, I think you would be impressed. It is lowered 1.5 on Pfadt springs. No pot holes to worry about down here in South Florida. Just sink holes and gaters haha..
I do crawl over the train tracks though.

Your car looks great. Lowered to perfection. Very nice color also.

Get notified of new replies

To Please help me verify 22" wheel fitment on my 81.(BeeJays Specs)

Quick Reply: Please help me verify 22" wheel fitment on my 81.(BeeJays Specs)