C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

73 Big Block Radiator Removal

Old 12-26-2011, 08:38 PM
patriotcommercial
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 73 Big Block Radiator Removal

Does anyone have any tips for removing the radiator and shroud. I got both hose off, got the fan off, got the shroud loose of the two lower bolts, removed the upper shroud bracket, removed upper radiator mounts. I cant seem to get either one to come out the top. On the passenger side the lower radiator inlet tube wont clear the front control arm bushing.

I am thinking of loosening the radiator support. Can I loosen it and move it forward without removing the hood. My car has ac so I may need to loosen the AC hoses.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 12-26-2011, 11:02 PM
rogman16
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a 73 small block... Removed radiator and shroud together as a unit... Guessing with a big block you have even less room than I did and it was a severe PITA to get out on my car... Especially, by myself...

Rogman
Old 12-26-2011, 11:19 PM
Al Jackson
Cruising

Default Radiator removal big block

I too experience a lot of difficulty removing the radiator core support some times. The shroud will remove but the fan blade must first be removed. For the core support I have discovered the core support sometimes will not just lift upward and out. It binds and acts like it just will not come out. It works better if you first remove the radiator from the core support. As I recall the radiator does not lift directly straight up and out. You must raise one side first and remove it on approximately a 45 degree angle ( I believe ) the driver side moves up first then you can move the radiator to the left some to clear the lower right radiator hose attachment around the suspension upper control arm. Once the radiator is out of the way, if you want to remove the core support, simply remove all the core support bolts and move the core support toward the engine slightly to free its snug fit then lift it out.
Hope this helps you.
Old 12-27-2011, 09:36 PM
patriotcommercial
Advanced

Default And the Answer Is????

I just got it done. Remove the hood. Unbolt the AC condensor, unbolt core support Lift out radiator and shroud. Then core support. Not a lot of work, just a pain in the butt.
Old 12-27-2011, 09:43 PM
rogman16
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by patriotcommercial
I just got it done. Remove the hood. Unbolt the AC condensor, unbolt core support Lift out radiator and shroud. Then core support. Not a lot of work, just a pain in the butt.
Glad to hear it... Feels pretty good after your done, doesn't it...

Rogman
Old 12-29-2011, 10:55 AM
FlyLS6
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Radiator

Don't know what you're doing, but in '78 I had the radiator pulled out of a '73 BB and had an additional core put in it.

It rarely ever runs over about 180, and haven't ever seen it on the high side of 210.

Get notified of new replies

To 73 Big Block Radiator Removal

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 73 Big Block Radiator Removal