C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No Heat, just blows cold air

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 05:36 PM
pjohns
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Heat, just blows cold air

"71" AC works fine, selector changes to vents, defrog, or floor, temp wheel cable is attached and I can hear it is moving a door under the dash. Engine was overhauled this year, could the mechanic have hooked something up wrong? Heater core not leaking. Coolant full. Vacuum lines appear to all be connected.

Any Ideas??
Old 01-07-2012, 06:30 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi pj,
Have you checked to see if BOTH of the heater hoses in the engine compartment are getting hot to the touch?
This will tell you if coolant is flowing through the heater core.
Regards,
Alan

Last edited by Alan 71; 01-07-2012 at 06:42 PM.
Old 01-07-2012, 08:37 PM
CFD E59
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 10 Posts

Alan's right, start with the hoses to and from the heater core. It could be clogged.
Old 01-07-2012, 08:45 PM
TedH
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

My '80 L48 has a vacuum-controlled valve that is in the heater hose that runs to the heater core (in engine compartment). The valve is vacuum controlled. If the valve has been removed, disconnected or is no longer operating, you will not get heat in the heater core (it will not open to let hot coolant to flow to the heater core). I suspect the same in-line valve is in earlier C3's.
Old 01-07-2012, 10:23 PM
Mashman
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TedH
My '80 L48 has a vacuum-controlled valve that is in the heater hose that runs to the heater core (in engine compartment). The valve is vacuum controlled. If the valve has been removed, disconnected or is no longer operating, you will not get heat in the heater core (it will not open to let hot coolant to flow to the heater core). I suspect the same in-line valve is in earlier C3's.
??? - If a valve is not present, how can a hose 'not open'?

I think you have it backwards. The valve you are talking about is a shutoff valve. It is designed to stop the flow of hot coolant to the heater core when cooler air is desired in the cockpit.

The problem could very well be the valve you are talking about. They can fail closed, and block flow to the heater core. Another likely situation is that a PO has installed cutoof valves to block flow to the heater core.
Old 01-08-2012, 01:30 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by Mashman
...The problem could very well be the valve you are talking about. They can fail closed...
Can also fail open resulting in Fish Feet.

Old 01-08-2012, 06:33 PM
pjohns
Heel & Toe

I found the vacuum valve. Tried tapping on it to free it but no change. I did see in my Chilton manual that coolant flows through the heater core except when on max air or off position. If the hoses got hooked up in reverse (thus reversing the flow of coolant through the core) could it affect this? I can't swap them now because it's HOT. Currently the hose coming out by the thermostat is the one connected to the vacuum valve, and the one coming out of the water pump isn't.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:30 PM
jman1
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this will cause you to not get heat....its default to blow cold air.... so if you getting cold air this will do it... it sits right behind the map pocket..... its vacum controlled... drove me nuts for almost a week
Old 01-08-2012, 09:23 PM
pjohns
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by jman1

this will cause you to not get heat....its default to blow cold air.... so if you getting cold air this will do it... it sits right behind the map pocket..... its vacum controlled... drove me nuts for almost a week
What am I looking at here, and what did you do to fix it?
Old 01-08-2012, 10:20 PM
gq82
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Most C3 owners would love to have your problem .

It's my understanding the inline heater hose valve only closes when the hvac controller is set to Max AC....if the heater hose is hot going to the valve but not so much coming out I'd say it failed in the closed position.
Old 01-09-2012, 04:41 PM
jman1
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pjohns
What am I looking at here, and what did you do to fix it?
its a small vacum controlled switch.. it sits right behind the map pocket on the heater box.... when you move the heat controls u might be able to hear the cables moving the switch....but if there is no vacum to the switch you will only get cold air..... search the ac/ heater vacuum lines on this site and check them out.... my switch wasnt bad just the vaccum like was broken.....
Old 01-15-2012, 02:40 PM
pjohns
Heel & Toe

Turned out to be an easy fix. The vacuum valve that shuts off the coolant flow to the heater core was stuck closed. Just removed the passenger side "Gill" and it was very easily accessible. Still took 6 trips to the auto parts stores!
1. to order the valve (before I took out the old one or even was able too look at it good)
2. to pick up valve ordered
3. to attempt to get fittings to put hose barb end on threaded end because the one I took off had hose barb ends on both sides. Ended up purchasing a different valve they had on the shelf, but I didn't have my packaging so I couldn't return the original.
4. to get vacuum fittings because the size was different on the new valve. Took original valve with packaging with me but that store closed early on Sat afternoon. Had to go to a different parts store.
5. Return original valve purchased.
6. Return extra vacuum fittings purchased since I wasn't positive what I needed so I bought extra to make sure I had what I needed.

Works great now!!
Old 01-15-2012, 06:43 PM
fugawi
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by pjohns
Turned out to be an easy fix. The vacuum valve that shuts off the coolant flow to the heater core was stuck closed. Just removed the passenger side "Gill" and it was very easily accessible. Still took 6 trips to the auto parts stores!
1. to order the valve (before I took out the old one or even was able too look at it good)
2. to pick up valve ordered
3. to attempt to get fittings to put hose barb end on threaded end because the one I took off had hose barb ends on both sides. Ended up purchasing a different valve they had on the shelf, but I didn't have my packaging so I couldn't return the original.
4. to get vacuum fittings because the size was different on the new valve. Took original valve with packaging with me but that store closed early on Sat afternoon. Had to go to a different parts store.
5. Return original valve purchased.
6. Return extra vacuum fittings purchased since I wasn't positive what I needed so I bought extra to make sure I had what I needed.

Works great now!!
AWSOME!!!!

Get notified of new replies

To No Heat, just blows cold air

Quick Reply: No Heat, just blows cold air