C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Steering Pump repair- Need to replace seals?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 05:27 PM
Will's'74VetteL-82
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Power Steering Pump repair- Need to replace seals?

Hello,

Long story short, my power steering pump reservoir got a crack in its body. I took the pump out and seperated the pump and reservoir. I am going to have the body welded / repaired however way it can be. The pump is essentially new with less than 2500 miles on it over the period of 1 year. There are a bunch of seals and o ring type things that seal the pump and reservoir. They look to be in good shape but will they need to be replaced or am I good to just reassemble the pump with the seals that are there?

Thanks,
Will
Old 12-26-2011, 06:44 PM
mikep3
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

All our corvette parts vendors listed have seal kits. So will any Auto Parts house like Autozone, mine were $13. A rebuilt pump looks like $50.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...hedFrom=header
Old 12-26-2011, 06:47 PM
gbarmore
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Those seals should be just fine unless you happen to tear something when taking it apart / putting back together. That rubber should last a very long time unless it sits dry for an extended period. That being said, if a new set of seals would help you sleep better it's money well spent and they are inexpensive as Mike P said.
Old 12-26-2011, 06:53 PM
Will's'74VetteL-82
Pro

Alright thanks....I'll probably just reuse them as they look great and are essentially brand new. I'm going to get the reservoir welded tomorrow and well see what happens.

I'll report back on what happens!

Thanks,
Will
Old 12-26-2011, 07:03 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

You can use power steering fluid to lubricate your original seals to aid the reassembly of the reservoir. You could also use petroleum jelly (vasoline) as a lubricant.

Jim
Old 12-26-2011, 07:04 PM
mikep3
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

You might want to read this:

http://www.corvette-restoration.com/...mp_rebuild.htm

Just google power steering pump repair
Old 12-26-2011, 07:08 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by mikep3
All our corvette parts vendors listed have seal kits. So will any Auto Parts house like Autozone, mine were $13. A rebuilt pump looks like $50.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...hedFrom=header
Just go to NAPA for a re-built unit professionally done!

Last edited by Paul L; 12-26-2011 at 07:50 PM.
Old 12-26-2011, 07:19 PM
Aflac
Race Director

Cruise-In 5, 6 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

I taight aircraft hydraulics for 4 years and worked hydraulics on airplanes for 12 before that. we always taught to never ever re-use seals. you can if you want, but if you have it apart that far, it's just smart to change them out while you have it apart... unless you really like doing things more than once...
Old 01-03-2012, 05:54 PM
Will's'74VetteL-82
Pro

ok...sorry for the long time since response!

I repainted and reassembled the pump after it was brazed. I took it on a long drive after rebleeding it and filling it to cold capacity. I will recheck for leaks and loss of fluid after I finish my vacuum system rebuild. The pump is much more solid now (I replaced all bolts and put it a missing bolt).

I understand the whole replace a seal always even if you dont need to, but luckily its not a jet hydraulic system so I could always remove it and replace the seals if needed!

Foolish NJ weather is preventing me from woriking right now (it was 23 degrees today and wicked windy!). Hopefully the vacuum system will be done soon.

By the way....I'm having trouble removing the driver side dash. It is binding somewhere some I'm trying to figure that out. Does anyone know how to get it out? I have the screws out of the dash, the center, and the column lowered but it seems to be sticking on the kickpanels or something.

Thanks,
Will
Old 01-03-2012, 07:36 PM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Received 740 Likes on 617 Posts

With that low mileage, just reuse the seals. I rebuilt my pump last year with 65,000 OEM miles on the pump and changed the seals since the pump shaft seal was leaking. The rebuild was relatively easy!
Old 01-04-2012, 10:26 AM
69 Chevy
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Will's'74VetteL-82
I'm having trouble removing the driver side dash. It is binding somewhere some I'm trying to figure that out. Does anyone know how to get it out? I have the screws out of the dash, the center, and the column lowered but it seems to be sticking on the kickpanels or something.
Did you weasel your hand behind the dash and separate both the speedo and tach drive cables from their respective housings? The panel won't come out without doing so.
Old 01-06-2012, 02:47 PM
C3Paul
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just rebuild my power steering pump following this article (brilliant, thank you http://www.corvette-restoration.com/...mp_rebuild.htm ) and all is good, but when I separated the oil reservoir from the pump body I found a MAGNET inside of the oil reservoir.

I do not think it should be there, but what do I know.
Any idea?
Old 01-06-2012, 02:58 PM
Frankenvette
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by C3Paul
Just rebuild my power steering pump following this article (brilliant, thank you http://www.corvette-restoration.com/...mp_rebuild.htm ) and all is good, but when I separated the oil reservoir from the pump body I found a MAGNET inside of the oil reservoir.

Any idea?
I just pulled my pump and had the magnet as well and plan to re-install it. If it has not caused problems in the past... can't hurt to leave it. As well, I think it is suppose to be there. Since there is no filter perhaps it's there to pick up metal flakes.

Last edited by Frankenvette; 01-06-2012 at 03:05 PM.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:35 PM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

Any idea?
Yes, it should be there. They are installed by the factory in the pumps and are there to collect any ferrous debris. Clean it up good and return it to where you found it and it will keep doing it's job.

Good luck... GUSTO
Old 01-07-2012, 03:59 PM
aussiejohn
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Magnets.

C3Paul,

Magnets were first introduced in the 1974 model power steering pumps "to attract fluid debris."

Hope this helps.

Regards from Down Under.

aussiejohn
Old 01-08-2012, 10:12 PM
Will's'74VetteL-82
Pro

Originally Posted by 69 Chevy
Did you weasel your hand behind the dash and separate both the speedo and tach drive cables from their respective housings? The panel won't come out without doing so.
Yes, I had already disconnected those but FINALLY I got it today! I had to loosen my center guage cluster completely and take out the rag joint bolts and loosen the firewall bolts for the column. That gave me enough slack to move the dash out of the way. It is not completely out (which still seems impossible without having no column or upper dash pad!) but I am able to change my light bulbs and rebuild the vacuum system. Hopefully I'll have the hoses routed tomorrow and the actuators out and rebuilt by Wednesday. Then onto the heater vacuum control rebuild, which by the way does anyone have a diagram for this? I havent yet checked my AIM, but my Service manual doesnt have it and IIRC my rebuild kit doesnt have any instructions (It might but I'll check tomorrow).

Thanks,
Will
Old 01-08-2012, 10:13 PM
Will's'74VetteL-82
Pro

Any idea?
That magnet is factory, In 1974 they added that internal magnet and revised the pump in some way IIRC.

Will

Get notified of new replies

To Power Steering Pump repair- Need to replace seals?

Quick Reply: Power Steering Pump repair- Need to replace seals?