C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bee Jay's light weight master cylinder brake mod

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 09:18 AM
wcsinx
Team Owner

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Marlin
Anybody know, for us early 70's c3's, if the dimple master cylinders will fit the older style boosters?
Seems the older ones have the rod stick out 1.6" while the newwer, later 70's+, have just the dimple.
You're referring to the shallow v/s deep well MC pistons.

The short answer is no.

The longer answer is you can swap out the booster with a later, shallow well type pushrod.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:42 AM
Marlin
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wcsinx

The short answer is no.

The longer answer is you can swap out the booster with a later, shallow well type pushrod.
Yea thats what I thought.
If I had to do that I might as well just buy the aftermarket Alum MC since there is no savings if I have to replace the booster to get the "cheaper" new Alum MC.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:07 AM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 768 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by wcsinx

The short answer is no.

When I installed the C5 master cylinder on my '69, I had the same pushrod length issue. I just cut the rod to the needed length, tapped the internals so I could re-install the adjuster tip, and bolted it together. A little time and effort, but no cash outlay.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:22 AM
noonie
Race Director

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

The old and new cast iron masters are interchangeable, the only difference is the length of the pushrod.

C3s were one of few cars that had the front brakes actuated by the secondary master piston. Most have the fronts actuated by the primary or rear piston.
Two things are different. The primary piston operates slightly before the secondary which means in an oem C3's system the rears have pressure slightly before the fronts. Secondly, the front brakes, no matter which type of master is used always has the larger reservoir. (Didn't make a difference in operation in the one I put in, but I switched the lines too.)

The C5 master works well, but the price is really silly.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:55 AM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.

Originally Posted by noonie
The old and new cast iron masters are interchangeable, the only difference is the length of the pushrod.

C3s were one of few cars that had the front brakes actuated by the secondary master piston. Most have the fronts actuated by the primary or rear piston.
Two things are different. The primary piston operates slightly before the secondary which means in an oem C3's system the rears have pressure slightly before the fronts. Secondly, the front brakes, no matter which type of master is used always has the larger reservoir. (Didn't make a difference in operation in the one I put in, but I switched the lines too.)

The C5 master works well, but the price is really silly.
I paid $35 bucks for mine out of a low mileage C5.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:17 PM
nate99
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 69427
What did you do about the fittings?
Old 01-11-2012, 12:31 PM
C3Paul
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by nate99
Yes, more info on this please

BTW: $89.94 for the C5 cylinder
http://www.partsgeek.com/mmparts/mas.../corvette.html

Last edited by C3Paul; 01-11-2012 at 02:31 PM.
Old 01-11-2012, 02:51 PM
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by nate99
Long story, so grab some caffeine.

Some guys I know have had luck getting the right fitting nut or adapter at their local parts store (only one "special thread pitch" nut is required, the other is a common size on metric hard lines), but I struck out at every parts store and brake shop I stopped at when I used to live in Orlando. (In hindsight I should have scoped out a couple junk yards for similar fittings on GM cars, and perhaps bought just the fittings or lines.) I'm hoping your local parts stores are better equipped. So, default move was to recontact the seller from whom I bought the master cylinder. I bought the C5 lines from him (20 or 25 bucks, I don't remember) and planned to just use them on the '69 (after shortening and rebending if necessary). I got the lines (and they're sweet looking, with flexible portions), but they wouldn't package as clean as I'd like, so I just bought a couple inexpensive close length metric hard lines at NAPA. I cut one end off of the first metric line, slid the appropriate SAE thread nut on it, and reflared it with the double flare used at the junction block. One line down, one to go. I similarly cut one end off the other line, removed the remaining metric nut, and replaced that nut with the "special thread" metric nut I removed from one of the C5 lines. I added the second SAE nut onto that line, and then double flared the cut end. Then it was just a matter of tweaking the bends to get everything to fit and clear obstructions.

The actual time it took to do the cutting and flaring was minimal compared to how much time I wasted stopping at the parts stores. As I mentioned earlier, hopefully your local parts store is better stocked with metric brake parts.
Old 01-11-2012, 03:21 PM
Will's'74VetteL-82
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bee Jay
Yep, but you may have the same problem with switching the lines front to back.
Bee Jay
Ok cool. Maybe I'll look into this sometime.

Will
Old 01-11-2012, 05:02 PM
C3Paul
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 69427
Long story, so grab some caffeine.

Some guys I know have had luck getting the right fitting nut or adapter at their local parts store (only one "special thread pitch" nut is required, the other is a common size on metric hard lines), but I struck out at every parts store and brake shop I stopped at when I used to live in Orlando. (In hindsight I should have scoped out a couple junk yards for similar fittings on GM cars, and perhaps bought just the fittings or lines.) I'm hoping your local parts stores are better equipped. So, default move was to recontact the seller from whom I bought the master cylinder. I bought the C5 lines from him (20 or 25 bucks, I don't remember) and planned to just use them on the '69 (after shortening and rebending if necessary). I got the lines (and they're sweet looking, with flexible portions), but they wouldn't package as clean as I'd like, so I just bought a couple inexpensive close length metric hard lines at NAPA. I cut one end off of the first metric line, slid the appropriate SAE thread nut on it, and reflared it with the double flare used at the junction block. One line down, one to go. I similarly cut one end off the other line, removed the remaining metric nut, and replaced that nut with the "special thread" metric nut I removed from one of the C5 lines. I added the second SAE nut onto that line, and then double flared the cut end. Then it was just a matter of tweaking the bends to get everything to fit and clear obstructions.

The actual time it took to do the cutting and flaring was minimal compared to how much time I wasted stopping at the parts stores. As I mentioned earlier, hopefully your local parts store is better stocked with metric brake parts.
So, apart from finding correct fittings, the C5 cylinder will just bolt right in to a C3 booster?

Do we need to switch the lines as well?

Last edited by C3Paul; 01-11-2012 at 05:06 PM.
Old 01-11-2012, 05:10 PM
Bee Jay
Safety Car

Received 543 Likes on 198 Posts

OK, I like these reservoirs. How can I get a pair. Is there a NAPA # for them.
Bee Jay
Old 01-11-2012, 05:13 PM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by C3Paul
So, apart from finding correct fittings, the C5 cylinder will just bolt right in to a C3 booster?

Do we need to switch the lines as well?
Those interested in the C5 MC might want to check this thread out...

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...r-in-c3-2.html
Old 01-11-2012, 05:18 PM
Marlin
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bee Jay
OK, I like these reservoirs. How can I get a pair. Is there a NAPA # for them.
Bee Jay

Look up a early C4 (like 1985).

Only 7/8" bore, Metric fittings, and cost more than others.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:19 PM
Bee Jay
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Marlin
Look up a early C4 (like 1985).

Only 7/8" bore, Metric fittings, and cost more than others.
No, not the MC, the reservoirs.

Last edited by Bee Jay; 01-11-2012 at 09:21 PM.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:09 PM
vette427-sbc
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

I was able to find some fittings to get the C5 master in with 3/16" lines. Got them at a local hydraulic line shop.
If you are going to have to make a new front line anyway, making another rear one with these fittings isnt much harder

If I recall correctly the sizes are 12x1mm and 12x1.5mm bubble flare
Old 01-12-2012, 12:16 AM
vetteguy22
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Lots of great info guys. Thanks
Old 01-13-2012, 01:15 AM
Bee Jay
Safety Car

NAPA doesn't make brake lines anymore, but they sell lines. So I bought this 6" line and adapter to extend the original line. The MC is in. Tomorrow I bleed and maybe drive on Saturday.
Bee Jay

Get notified of new replies

To Bee Jay's light weight master cylinder brake mod

Old 01-13-2012, 05:01 PM
aussiejohn
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Downside up!

Bee Jay,

You could have turned the short line around so that we don't have to stand on our heads or hold the computer upside down to read the part number.

Thanks, anyway.

Regards from Down Under.

aussiejohn
Old 01-13-2012, 05:16 PM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by aussiejohn
Bee Jay,

You could have turned the short line around so that we don't have to stand on our heads or hold the computer upside down to read the part number.

Thanks, anyway.

Regards from Down Under.

aussiejohn
I would have thought that it was right side up for you mates.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:20 PM
Bee Jay
Safety Car

The part # is NAPA 813-5473. It is a 8" long brake line with 1/4" standard flare ends. I used a 1/4" to 1/4" female/female adapter to extend the original brake line. It is Polymer Coated and you don't need a tubing bender to bend it.

I got home today and was going to drive the car from the garage to the lift, but I had no brakes, zero. So I'm going to have to bleed in the garage. I've tried both vacuum bleeding and pressure bleeding in the past, but nothing works as good as my wife sitting in the drivers seat pumping the brakes while I bleed. She is with the grand kids tonight, so I'll have to bleed tomorrow.

Quick Reply: Bee Jay's light weight master cylinder brake mod