C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What gear oil do you use for your TKO trans.?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 04:26 PM
HamadUP
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Default What gear oil do you use for your TKO trans.?

Now I'm using a Dexron III ATF as a break in fluide (as suggested by the vendor), but I can't find the recommended Synchromesh Transmission Fluid (either the GM or the Amsoil versions) locally, and shipping oils is prohibited by any courier service, what other brands/types that I can use with the TKO? I found many other brands like Caltex, Castrol and few others, but I can't be sure about them. I called Tremec and the guy gave me a feeling that "he has" to recommend the GM oil only!, he just failed to tell me why they only require the GM one!
Old 01-23-2012, 04:46 PM
Ben Lurkin
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by HamadUP
Now I'm using a Dexron III ATF as a break in fluide (as suggested by the vendor), but I can't find the recommended Synchromesh Transmission Fluid (either the GM or the Amsoil versions) locally, and shipping oils is prohibited by any courier service, what other brands/types that I can use with the TKO? I found many other brands like Caltex, Castrol and few others, but I can't be sure about them. I called Tremec and the guy gave me a feeling that "he has" to recommend the GM oil only!, he just failed to tell me why they only require the GM one!
Pennzoil makes GM spec syncromesh fluid. If you're local NAPA doesn't have it, they can order it. Your chevy dealer certainly should have it.

http://www.pennzoil.com/#/transmissi...smission-fluid

Last edited by Ben Lurkin; 01-23-2012 at 04:49 PM.
Old 01-23-2012, 05:07 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

The GM stuf is way to expensive. The Pennzoil is your best bat and should be able to be found locally. Much cheaper. I am running the Amsoil in my T56 but that is only because I know a dealer for it and got it at a steal of a price.
Old 01-23-2012, 05:21 PM
FKING1
Safety Car

Received 105 Likes on 78 Posts

Keisler suggested Pennzoil syncromesh and I run it in my TKO600.
GM is hard to find and expensive.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:00 PM
C66 Racing
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

... and shipping oils is prohibited by any courier service...
That is not true... or I should say, at least in the U.S. I don't think I can help you where you are, but for others reading the thread. Oil is not a hazardous fluid by U.S. regulations, and it is allowed to be shipped by UPS, Fedex and even the USPS. I ship all my used oil samples to Blackstone Labs via the USPS. AMSOIL ships nationally using UPS. I can have the AMSOIL fluid shipped to you directly from AMSOIL via UPS at dealer cost, about 25% below retail, via the AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program. If you are interested in getting some AMSOIL shipped to you, drop me a PM.

C66 Racing #66 NASA ST2, SCCA T2
AMSOIL Dealer (Forum Vendor)
AMSOIL Ordering Information (Retail sales using reference #1206638 benefit the forum.)
AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program (Members buy at Wholesale - a savings of about 25%)
AMSOIL Catalog

Old 01-24-2012, 12:14 AM
HamadUP
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Subdriver
That is not true... or I should say, at least in the U.S. I don't think I can help you where you are, but for others reading the thread. Oil is not a hazardous fluid by U.S. regulations, and it is allowed to be shipped by UPS, Fedex and even the USPS. I ship all my used oil samples to Blackstone Labs via the USPS. AMSOIL ships nationally using UPS. I can have the AMSOIL fluid shipped to you directly from AMSOIL via UPS at dealer cost, about 25% below retail, via the AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program. If you are interested in getting some AMSOIL shipped to you, drop me a PM.
Sure I'm interested!, you got a PM
Old 01-24-2012, 07:16 PM
LB66383
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

I started with Dexron ATF in my TKO600. After awhile I changed it out for the GM Synchromesh Fluid. I was able to get it from a Chevy dealer with no problem. You're right, it's very expensive.....and it didn't make any difference in how the transmission shifted and/or worked.
Old 01-25-2012, 04:45 AM
HamadUP
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by LB66383
I started with Dexron ATF in my TKO600. After awhile I changed it out for the GM Synchromesh Fluid. I was able to get it from a Chevy dealer with no problem. You're right, it's very expensive.....and it didn't make any difference in how the transmission shifted and/or worked.
For how long you kept the ATF fluid in your trans?
Old 01-25-2012, 06:01 AM
Vette5.5
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree on the shipping thing, as buy spec GM hydraulic cluth fluid for my C6, from Gene Culleys gmpartshouse.com, and is never a problem. He's actually a GM dealer in PA, but he discounts parts. Maybe check with him on the GM syncromesh fluid.
Old 01-25-2012, 09:43 AM
Gale Banks 80'
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 312 Posts

Shipping Haz Mats is a Hit and Miss. I have bought Haz Mats from one Vendor only to find that they can't Ship it and call another and have the same product shipped the same day. If You look at Summit racing you will see they don't have any Oils. The reason why is because most of the customers use there free 2nd day air shipping and there is no way that Oil is going on a Plane. I see they sell Paints now so they must be useing ground for that. If you see a Can with little Plastic Tabs in the Lid that means it meets some sort of shipping requirement. I think the Airlines still are still pissed at the Plane that went down in the Everglades because of an Oxegen Bottle if I remember right.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:10 AM
Vette5.5
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Summit racing sells all kinds of oils, fluids, and maybe another place to check for tranny fluid. Most of their stuff is high priced stuff like Redline and Royal Purple though. I know you can't ship conventional batteries via commom carrier, but sealed AGM types are ok.
Old 01-25-2012, 03:56 PM
LB66383
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

For how long you kept the ATF fluid in your trans?
It was in there at least a year, probably longer. I got the tranny and install kit from Classic Chevy 5-speeds, and they recommended either ATF or the GM MTF. I switched from one to the other to see if it would make any difference. It didn't.
Old 01-25-2012, 09:34 PM
Dustup7T2
Terrorizing Orange Cones
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Good post. Thanks, Hamadup.

I lost some due to that leaky yoke problem of a few years back. Fixed the yoke then and wanted to top the level off again but hesitated bc of price and availability of the GM synchromesh stuff. I doubt I lost more than .5 to .75 of a pint; expect trans operation would have been bigger problem if level was too low and it hasn't been.

Are the less expensive varieties that are more commonly available, dino oils? I'm guessing due to synthetics usually being more $$.

For example the Pennzoil: just look for their synchromesh recipe? Plain ole ATF, like LB66383 suggests?

Last edited by Dustup7T2; 01-25-2012 at 09:35 PM. Reason: add text

Get notified of new replies

To What gear oil do you use for your TKO trans.?

Quick Reply: What gear oil do you use for your TKO trans.?