C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

78 T&T Column - hooking hub end of dimmer rod to cover?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 11:32 AM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Default 78 T&T Column - hooking hub end of dimmer rod to cover?

So, I have the column as far disassembled as I've ever taken it (probably beyond what I ever want to do again), and the cover that goes over the tilt lever has slid off.

What is the relationship between the yellow actuator(#20) and the rod(#66) for the dimmer switch? I see a faint outline on the bottom of the housing (#38) where the cover(#44) is supposed to go, and I'm assuming that the shield (#21) goes behind what I'm guessing is the lock bolt spring (#24).

It looks to me like the yellow actuator is aligned by a tab in the cover (#44). My best guess is the curve on the back of the actuator is supposed to rest on the rod, but I don't "feel" any spring action.

(referenced from Jim's diagram @ http://jimshea.corvettefaq.com/?p=1001 )
Old 01-25-2012, 12:02 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Hopefully these two pictures may help in the reassembly. You should place the actuator into the cap and hold it there with heavy grease.
Snap the cap in place.
Pic #1 frame #4.
http://jimshea.corvettefaq.com/wp-co...ev02oc2010.pdf
Set the dimmer switch assembly with the 3/32 drill. Insert the rod between the actuator and the dimmer switch. Attach the dimmer switch to the side of the steering column. Pic #3.
http://jimshea.corvettefaq.com/wp-co...ev21mr2009.pdf
On page #12 of the T&T Disassembly & Repair paper #3 is best pictures that I have found on reinstalling the shield(s) into the column head. The shield(s) are just to complex and the installation too complicated to try and describe with words. I think that the earlier steering columns (1969-76) had two shields. The later columns (1977-82) had only one shield.
http://jimshea.corvettefaq.com/wp-co...3rev26de09.pdf
Jim

Last edited by Jim Shea; 01-25-2012 at 12:07 PM.
Old 01-25-2012, 02:03 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction once again. I think I now have a decent understanding of how this all works.

Is it safe to reassemble the top end of the column and then align the rod afterwards?
Old 01-27-2012, 01:00 AM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks very much Jim for getting me through all of this!!!!

I just got the new pivot in (used a c-clamp to drive it in from the back) and managed to get that cap on with the column installed in the car... believe it or not, but the dimmer switch is working fine! I worked the rod back into the actuator with my right hand and held it in place while placing the cover back on with my left hand. Held a flashlight in my mouth and managed to aim it with my teeth.

Once that was all together, I held the cap tightly in place with my left hand while aligning and installing the cover. I have it loosely bolted with the 3 main screws. Going to pick up a new ignition cylinder tomorrow and I think since I'm so far ahead of schedule I'll plan on replacing the (original) turn signal switch tomorrow.

It's a G-D miracle it got back together. I was for sure I'd have to pull the column and I should have listened to your advice in the documents and just done it anyhow. Would have made this job a lot easier. But sometimes you have to spend 8 hours to try to avoid spending 1.
Old 01-27-2012, 06:29 AM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Glad that you got it back together.

There just seems to be a real aversion to pulling the steering column. No question that practice makes removing the column a lot easier but it really does make working on the column a lot easier as well.

By the way, you may want to remove the "harmonica" connector from the end of the turn signal switch wires before attempting to pull the wires up through the steering column. Then remove the harmonica connector from the new switch, feed the wires back down. Then install the original connector on the new switch wires. A lot of the new connectors don't snap into "old" vehicle wiring harnesses.

Jim

Get notified of new replies

To 78 T&T Column - hooking hub end of dimmer rod to cover?

Quick Reply: 78 T&T Column - hooking hub end of dimmer rod to cover?