C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

L48 Pros/Cons of using 1.5 or 1.6 Rockers ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 04:35 PM
v8vega
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default L48 Pros/Cons of using 1.5 or 1.6 Rockers ?

I am pulling the motor to replace gaskets, seals & clean everything. Motor has 54K on it. I plan on blending the bowls in the heads myself [done this before]. I'll put in a new timing chain and gear set but that will probably be all I can afford. I would love to put in a new cam & lifters but income is very low and I just can't afford to do it. So I was doing some reading and it seemed like the 1.6 rockers, even on a stock cam, might give me some worthwhile gain. I was thinking that may be the way to go because I wanted to get roller tipped rockers and a cam & lifters but like I said money is tight. I wish I could do all the things I want to but, well, don't we all?
Old 01-25-2012, 05:34 PM
Manuel Azevedo
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by v8vega
I am pulling the motor to replace gaskets, seals & clean everything. Motor has 54K on it. I plan on blending the bowls in the heads myself [done this before]. I'll put in a new timing chain and gear set but that will probably be all I can afford. I would love to put in a new cam & lifters but income is very low and I just can't afford to do it. So I was doing some reading and it seemed like the 1.6 rockers, even on a stock cam, might give me some worthwhile gain. I was thinking that may be the way to go because I wanted to get roller tipped rockers and a cam & lifters but like I said money is tight. I wish I could do all the things I want to but, well, don't we all?

These rockers can help in the power department but not much. The amount of money most of them cost you can buy a better cam and lifter set be better off overall.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:38 PM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

The simple answer is this isn't an option for you right now; 1.6 rockers typically require clearancing the pushrod holes on a stock head...which really, really should not be done with the heads attached.

1.6 rockers give an effective increase in duration which has power benefits, but as noted it's not worth doing just the rockers. If you're buying a new set of roller-tips, then go ahead and buy 1.6's...but be sure to a) do the math and b) check all valvetrain clearances and geometry. Note that different pushrods and valve covers may be required...so the amount of time and money you're going to put in is going to be far higher than just swapping rockers
Old 01-25-2012, 07:41 PM
63mako
Race Director

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by v8vega
A cam upgrade and lifters is around $100.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:38 PM
v8vega
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1.5 or 1.6 or other

Thanks to all who gave advice. It looks the way to go is a cam and lifters. Thanks again.
Old 01-26-2012, 07:24 AM
jackson
Le Mans Master

Received 628 Likes on 556 Posts

budget cam & lifters kit aok.

L48 needs all compression it can get.
Use thinnest head gasket you can ... felpro 1094 is good choice here.

if your best friend/brother runs machine shop ... mill heads & intake.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:04 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Make sure and upgrade the springs either way.
You can get a set of Z28 type springs for $40..long as you dont go crazy on cam size sometimes less is more. Roller tips are just fine until you get into heavier spring pressures.

Between cam/spring/bowl work for the $ spent youll definitely feel it in the butt dyno
Old 01-26-2012, 02:00 PM
hugie82
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by jackson
budget cam & lifters kit aok.

L48 needs all compression it can get.
Use thinnest head gasket you can ... felpro 1094 is good choice here.

if your best friend/brother runs machine shop ... mill heads & intake.
Don't forget the oil additive and high RPMs for 20 minute break in

Get notified of new replies

To L48 Pros/Cons of using 1.5 or 1.6 Rockers ?

Quick Reply: L48 Pros/Cons of using 1.5 or 1.6 Rockers ?